User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Flunked cdl chances of getting rehired ?

Flunked the cdl test with schneider back in august and want to get back in the saddle this early spring. I passed their two week course and went out with a trainer for two weeks only to flunk the cdl, I was employed with schneider for 4 weeks. Will this help or hurt me when I apply for a new company, your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Well..........let's see here.

1. Why did you 'flunk?'

2. I am going to assume that Schneider offered you a retest and/or some type of remedial training. What happened?

We'll move forward some more after we know these answers..................

Old 11-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Board Regular

first flunked the pretrip inspection, they sandbagged me for two weeks till I could retest and flunked the blind paralel back the two remaining times, they allow only 3 tries to pass and let you go. But I recieved high grades from both driving instructors, just got rusty with the couple weeks off.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccfry View Post
first flunked the pretrip inspection, they sandbagged me for two weeks till I could retest and flunked the blind paralel back the two remaining times, they allow only 3 tries to pass and let you go. But I recieved high grades from both driving instructors, just got rusty with the couple weeks off.
Ok, doesn't sound like anything that can't be overcome. I was hoping that you wouldn't say something magical like accident.

How long ago was this? Are you in debt to Schneider for the training? Did you ever consider moving forward on your own and obtaining your CDL ? It can be done. You already have all of the training and practice. Are you aware of how your Schneider experience is reported as it relates to being an employee? Terminated, quit, etc?

What is your eventual goal? Would you be happy, say, with a company like CRST where I started? They are lenient about a lot of things.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Board Regular
Cool

Yes I am in debt $4500; yes I am considering going to a cheap cdl mill advance school of trucking in fontana in late february, if I cant get the money up I will have to get company sponsored training which I want to avoid.

Schneider reported it as did not fulfill training requirement was let go, but I have the training certificate.

I was actually going to go with crst just heard that schneider had the best training so went that way, dont know if I regret it now or not, I heard if you dont fulfill your time with crst no company will touch you so went with the big orange, all I know is teaming will be really tough, I might be able to handle crst 20/10 program though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
Ok, doesn't sound like anything that can't be overcome. I was hoping that you wouldn't say something magical like accident.

How long ago was this? Are you in debt to Schneider for the training? Did you ever consider moving forward on your own and obtaining your CDL ? It can be done. You already have all of the training and practice. Are you aware of how your Schneider experience is reported as it relates to being an employee? Terminated, quit, etc?

What is your eventual goal? Would you be happy, say, with a company like CRST where I started? They are lenient about a lot of things.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:21 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Yes I am in debt $4500; yes I am considering going to a cheap cdl mill advance school of trucking in fontana in late february, if I cant get the money up I will have to get company sponsored training which I want to avoid. .
I think that I have an idea how you feel. One parking maneuver away from not being in this mess. Still, the reality is that you are $4500.00 down and about to make another leap of some sort. A rock and a hard place for sure. At this point it looks as if you can either somehow round up the money, or go for another company paid training program. Standard advice from folks on this board is to avoid the company paid training if possible. You may not have a choice in the matter. I understand. I reluctantly went with the CRST company paid program but was able to make it pay off. Sounds like you are at the junction of choosing the least of two evils? I can tell you that the CRST school will get you in-and-out quickly and is only an 8 month commitment. The teaming aspect is a real bear though. If you have any doubts at all that you may not make it. Don't do it. If you can somehow come up with the money to attend training without company sponsorship...do it.

Quote:
I was actually going to go with crst just heard that schneider had the best training so went that way, dont know if I regret it now or not, I heard if you dont fulfill your time with crst no company will touch you so went with the big orange, all I know is teaming will be really tough, I might be able to handle crst 20/10 program though.
Well, if you don't fulfill your time with any company, they aren't going to be happy about it. That is definitely not CRST specific. You can't really blame them. They have an investment in you and expect you to hold up your end of the contract. Fair is fair.

Don't bank on the CRST 20/10 program. You are at the mercy of two other drivers and their particular schedules, sickness, attitudes, etc. On paper 20/10 sounds ideal. In practice though, it very rarely works out. 20/10 is not even available to everyone. Mostly only to those in larger metropolitan areas that can come up with 3 drivers living in the same general vicinity.

Last edited by belpre122; 11-11-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I see only one pitfall when it comes to a big company cdl mill and the commitment that usually goes with it.

Let's assume you restart the process. If something rotten happens and you find yourself unemployed again, you'll be unemployed and on the hook with two companies/debts. Those debts can be beat but I am not a lawyer and I'll let someone who is better qualified pursue that.

On the other hand, if you find yourself safely and successfully running the roads and you get what you think is a better offer, you'll only need to compare the value of the better offer against your debt with your current employer. If you'll take home more, or maybe just be happier, you'll switch; if it's too close or a negative return, you stay and tough it out.

Don't let the tuition and commitment scare you away.