User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default RV Transport/Drive-Away: A Good Alternative to Trucking?

Greetings, all. Those who have read my few previous postings to CAD know that I have been on the fence about going into trucking as a second career. While there are aspects of trucking that really appeal to me, there are others that turn me off completely.

A company that does RV transport/drive-away has been advertising in the local papers lately. I read through everything on their Web site and got to thinking, what about this?

They require only a class B CDL with air brakes endorsement. Once accepted, you attend a few-days orientation at their headquarters, then you're dispatched.

It seems to overcome my negative aspects of breaking into professional driving: having to go out with a trainer for weeks on end, forced dispatch, and others.

The company is Horizon Transport out of Elkhart, IN. A recruiter there said that their drivers net anywhere from 30 - 60 cents per mile.

Anybody done RV transport before? Can one make a decent living at it?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Board Regular

It sounds like a cool job, but think about the economy for a few minutes. RVs are VERY expensive toys bought with discretionary income that use huge amounts of fuel.

If we are headed for a full blown recession, and I believe wew are, RV sales will plummet to even less than they are now.

People are worried about food money, not buying $250K fuel guzzling, non practical toys.

You live in Nevada? Check into RV moving for snowbirds instead of new RV delivery. Sure that only has one month in the spring and one month in the fall for a busy season but I think it is a better bet.

Or, if you really want to be on the road all the time without driving an otr big rig, check out something like NASCAR concession sales or food sales in the fair circuit.

Just my thoughts.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Senior Board Member

I know someone who did the drive-away/whatever the hell it's called for Swift, hauling Mack and Volvo trucks to dealerships and such. According to him, when it was good, it was good, and when it was slow, it sucked. He got good mileage pay (I think they started him at something like 44 cents/mile), plus expenses, but you also have to consider that you're not going to be continually putting on miles the way you would be if you were hauling freight. I'll give him a call, and see if he'll register on here and tell you more about it, or send me an email to post on here. He could tell you a lot more about it than I could.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Nevada View Post
Check this forum www.heartlandowners.org that I am on and contact pmmjarrett he is retired and works for one of the companies in or around Elkhart,IN.And the new trailer sales have held up for the most part during this downturn.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B View Post
It sounds like a cool job, but think about the economy for a few minutes. RVs are VERY expensive toys bought with discretionary income that use huge amounts of fuel.

If we are headed for a full blown recession, and I believe wew are, RV sales will plummet to even less than they are now.

People are worried about food money, not buying $250K fuel guzzling, non practical toys.

You live in Nevada? Check into RV moving for snowbirds instead of new RV delivery. Sure that only has one month in the spring and one month in the fall for a busy season but I think it is a better bet.

Or, if you really want to be on the road all the time without driving an otr big rig, check out something like NASCAR concession sales or food sales in the fair circuit.

Just my thoughts.
The recruiter at the company I mentioned said that they are very busy. They not only transport RVs, but also school busses and ambulances. He suggested that if I were to get a bus endorsement on my CDL along with the air brakes endorsement, I could be as busy as I want.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Nevada View Post

It is a great way to go broke and run your pick-up into the ground.....
Old 10-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Default RV Transport/Drive-Away

The first thing you need to check with them is whether you'll be an employee (W-2) or an independent contractor (1099). Second, if you're driving a bus with no passengers, why is a "P" endorsement needed? BOL
Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member

There are many down sides to the RV moving business- namely the total (unpaid) Deadhead back to Indiana after dropping off the RV/5-th Wheel, also there's the no transporting them in slick/high wind conditions ( couple of the companies don't allow that) Most don't allow you to enter or sleep IN the RV/5th wheel camper- some even Seal the doors to be able to detect the drivers breaking that rule. It's perfect if you're retired own at least a 3/4 ton pickup( with a full 8 foot bed) and want to make a little "supplemental" income.

I've started a whole board dedicated to this- at my site. There's also the links to 5-6 of the top companies in that business there as well.

Quality Driveaway would probably be your best bet for "sometimes-- 60%" getting some kind of backhaul to Indiana . But overall, I'd say --StarFleet is my favorite. Good luck in your Future Endeavors.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Funny that I should have come across this today. I met a guy yesterday who does drive away. He works for Bennett out of McDonough, GA. He primarily drives buses, but also drives trucks and about anything else they ask. He said that he has been with them for about 5 years and makes about $100M/year. The way he is set up with them, they pay him mileage, much like an owner operator and he pays for fuel. He drove a Greyhound bus for several years before getting into drive away. I don't know their requirements but they may have enough different types of drive away to keep you busy. I am not sure how Bennett is listed, but I am sure you could do a search for Bennett Transport and find them.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Funny that I should have come across this today. I met a guy yesterday who does drive away. He works for Bennett out of McDonough, GA. He primarily drives buses, but also drives trucks and about anything else they ask. He said that he has been with them for about 5 years and makes about $100M/year. The way he is set up with them, they pay him mileage, much like an owner operator and he pays for fuel. He drove a Greyhound bus for several years before getting into drive away. I don't know their requirements but they may have enough different types of drive away to keep you busy. I am not sure how Bennett is listed, but I am sure you could do a search for Bennett Transport and find them.
It is very easy to gross a 100k per year..... But remember you are paid on a 1099 and classified as a Independant contractor.... Also the driveaway industry is on its azz right now.... I can answer any question you have about the driveaway industry as my wife and I owned a driveaway company from 2002 to 2006 along side of our trucking company.