User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default does any co. offer shorter team runs instead of long ones?

My husband has driven for 12 years, and I got my CDL 3 months ago so we could run team. Problem is, he cannot sleep with the truck moving. So we wonder if there is a company out there that would let us run the amount of miles of 1 and 1/2 drivers so we can work together?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Hi, Buzzyjan!!

Welcome to CAD!!

I won't say that their are no companies out their who might be willing to accomodate you, but companies don't really need teams to handle short runs; they already have solo drivers for that purpose.

Teams are for the purpose of moving freight long distances in shorter time frames. Having teams handling shorter runs leaves comanies with a depreciating asset that is not performing to it's fullest potential.

Personally, I think that the "1+1/2 Driver" team might offer some benefit to companies, but when it comes to such matters as risk assessment, worker's comp, administrative expenses, and the cost of benefits such as health insurance, companies are faced with the cost of two employees, while deriving the revenue benefits of only one employee and one half of another one.

The coordination of time frames is another factor companies have to contend with. As more and more consignees operate on "JIT Inventory" programs, they do not want their shipments to arrive late, but they also do not want them to arrive early, either. Operating "Driver and A Half" teams can actually seerve to complicate problems rather that offer solutions to existing problems.

BOL2U!!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: does any co. offer shorter team runs instead of long one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzyjan
My husband has driven for 12 years, and I got my CDL 3 months ago so we could run team. Problem is, he cannot sleep with the truck moving. So we wonder if there is a company out there that would let us run the amount of miles of 1 and 1/2 drivers so we can work together?
My wife and I had the same problem. Neither of us could sleep well with the truck moving. We both had to be thoroughly fatigued in order to sleep. But, we did find a company that allowed us to run SUPER SINGLE So that we could each run about 8 hrs a day and then both sleep for 8 hours. We still could do spurts as full team, like the 4,000 miles from Portland, OR to fifty miles north of Miami in 2 1/2 days, but we were generally able to pace ourselves and get our rest. We were still able to outrun a single driver. That was done with J & R Schugel, in the flatbed division which the company considers to be solo. They told us teams didn't work well in flatbed, but sure seemed to enjoy our ability.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Senior Board Member

It took me a while to be able to sleep while the truck was rolling...... of course, I ran a few cars off the road and blew past some chicken houses along the way!!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Seems to me that Useless may be right about the benefits, workers compensation issues etc., for 2 employees vs. 1 1/2 the productivity.

I bet that the opportunity is out there though. Maybe it will take a bit more time and persistence to find.

Give CRST a call and see what they have to say. CRST loves husband/wife teams. I saw CRST bend over backwards to accommodate couples, as they tend to have the most success in the teaming environment. CRST is a team company and knows how to work with folks in your particular situation.

Additionally, I'm not sure how much experience you have since getting your CDL 3 months ago, but CRST offers the opportunity for your husband to be your trainer if needed.

BOL

Old 09-09-2008, 02:52 AM
Senior Board Member

I would suggest looking into companies that haul mail as well as the LTL companies like Yellow, Conway, Fed Ex, etc.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
I would suggest looking into companies that haul mail as well as the LTL companies like Yellow, Conway, Fed Ex, etc.
or diaper hauling companies....
Only you big diesel. I started cracking up. :lol: :lol:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Board Regular

Well my problem always been where the companies that do long hauls, I always end up doing short hauls..
Old 09-09-2008, 05:22 PM

Give TA a call

http://www.transportamerica.com/

Im not sure what we call it but think its super single. I have worked here for just under 2 yrs. they are fair IMO