Old 08-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
OTR to me is a combination of a couple things. Being away from home and getting paid by CPM or %.or any other way of getting around not paying overtime for excessive hours.
Indeed. I'll never work for irregular-route mileage pay again. What a hosejob!

Mileage pay only makes sense in a dedicated linehaul operation running between terminals. That's truckin' the way it was meant to be...you just drop, hook, and go. None of that waiting around for hours and hours, dealing with consignees, p&d, getting lost, and all the other time-wasting garbage. Leave that to the guys in daycabs and short-boxes on the clock getting paid for their time.

Like when I took a load to the University of Chicago bookstore. 2 hours stuck in Chi-Town construction traffic, got lost due to a detour and almost hit a bridge...finally get to the place and trucks lined up everywhere. Had to wait 5 hours to get unloaded. Sent in my empty call and waited another 2 hours for a load....then more gridlock rush-hour traffic. Finally got out of that mess and fueled up at the $hithole T/A in Gary, IN for free...then out of hours and parked for the night.

So that's what...12 hours of work for $30.00 of detention time? Are you kidding me? What other industry gets away with so blatantly abusing their employees time/labor?

I'm not gonna let some two-bit motor carrier jerk me around like that anymore. No way, Jose. For now on it's clock-time with overtime after 8/40....anything else is uncivilized.
LBJ . . we have the Washington State sitchyation . . two companies being sued from two sides over CPM vs. fair labor and overtime. We have the Swift class action thing that has suddenly found new life. There are two California issues fermenting: The port rules, which the Teamsters are hand steering and the recent recognition that "all employees" working in the State (includes Drivers) are entitled to enjoy the rules and benefits of CA labor laws . . the tide IS turning.

Still, we have the knuckle draggers who think CPM is wonderful, free labor and unpaid wait/ready/idle/breakdown/layover time are great and any sacrafice "I" can make is still the coolest thing on earth.

Soooo . . I'm going to start a survey thread and i'm looking for input.

What do you (anyone . . not just LBJ) think are the top 3 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 19, etc, motivations for leaving things as they are?

Like:

My Dad (Mom, Granny, Cousin drove truck . . put 17 kids through 3rd grade!)

I don't like anyone and I prefer to be left alone.

The Waltons of the world deserve all the money and laborers be damned!

Heck . . anyone can drive a truck! Takes a real craftsman to change a tire.

CPM/percentage advocates: Please list your top (insert number) motivations for whoring yourselves out . .

I'll build the survey from there. Thanks
Old 08-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Finally got out of that mess and fueled up at the $hithole T/A in Gary, IN for free...then out of hours and parked for the night.
I dunno LBJ. The Gary, IN T/A might (probably does) top Carney Point? I hadn't thought about that shitehole in quite a while. Because I don't have to anymore. Thank goodness. Yet another shining reason to go local. Leave all of that silliness to the diehards!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimba
Still, we have the knuckle draggers who think CPM is wonderful, free labor and unpaid wait/ready/idle/breakdown/layover time are great and any sacrafice "I" can make is still the coolest thing on earth.
Quote:
CPM/percentage advocates: Please list your top (insert number) motivations for whoring yourselves out . .
Heh heh heh. Couldn't have said it better myself. They're gonna love you for this timba. :lol:

Old 08-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Can't you people post anything without all the name calling? You don't seem to understand that you undermine your credibility when you constantly result to name calling and belittling most of those who are on this board. If you have valid points then it should not be a problem to defend them without the constant name calling. By the way, labor laws, such as minimum wage, are established at the Federal level. Federal law supersedes state or local laws. The more states throw additional laws at companies the more they will move out of their states. California has seen a mass exodus of business to Arizona and Nevada in recent years. It has been primarily due to high taxes and costs of doing business in the state because of over regulation. You all are always so negative. It would be refreshing to see something positive from you.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
I dunno LBJ. The Gary, IN T/A might (probably does) top Carney Point? I hadn't thought about that shitehole in quite a while. Because I don't have to anymore. Thank goodness. Yet another shining reason to go local. Leave all of that silliness to the diehards!
That place is truly a dump, belpre. I'd say it's the wost truckstop I've ever been to. One of our drivers got stuck there b/c a shootout ocurring while he was fueling his truck. The cops stormed in and shut the whole place down...nobody in or out for 6 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
By the way, labor laws, such as minimum wage, are established at the Federal level.
Why is trucking exempt from the FLSA provision regarding overtime? It's BS. You should be getting time-and-a-half after 8/40 hours on the job.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Why is trucking exempt from the FLSA provision regarding overtime? It's BS. You should be getting time-and-a-half after 8/40 hours on the job.

Trucking isn't the only exemption. When you enter a particular field it's YOUR responsibilty to understand how it works. Some people are only capable of understanding and/or succeeding in an hourly world, others are quite successful being paid based on what they accomplish. Different strokes...

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin
Quote:

Trucking isn't the only exemption. When you enter a particular field it's YOUR responsibilty to understand how it works. Some people are only capable of understanding and/or succeeding in an hourly world, others are quite successful being paid based on what they accomplish. Different strokes...
And, some people could not hold onto a job with a chain and padlock if it weren't for the UNION backing them.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin
Quote:

I believe that I addressed this in an earlier post, LeBron. However, it bears repeating. If you travel across states lines you come under the jurisdiction of interstate commerce. That is regulated by the Federal government. Since drivers can do other things other than work during those times, they are exempted from the Fair Labor Standards Act. In other words, they cannot be supervised. Drivers would be paid for playing video games, surfing the Internet or anything but working. That is why most drivers are paid by the mile or percentage. It is actually better for the carrier and drivers, at least for those who work. It enables those who work harder to earn a bigger paycheck. Those who slack off are not going to be paid for their lack of productivity. The companies benefit by only having to pay drivers for their productivity. A local driver can punch a clock and be under supervision. One who stays out over night cannot. The company has no way of knowing for sure who is working and who isn't. Mileage and percentage pay benefits those drivers who manage their time and are productive. There is no incentive for the hourly wage earner to be more productive since they are paid the same whether they work or not. They could drive or sit in a truck stop and they would be paid the same money. I would not want to limit my income by being paid by the hour.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
OTR to me is a combination of a couple things. Being away from home and getting paid by CPM or %.or any other way of getting around not paying overtime for excessive hours.
Indeed. I'll never work for irregular-route mileage pay again. What a hosejob!

Mileage pay only makes sense in a dedicated linehaul operation running between terminals. That's truckin' the way it was meant to be...you just drop, hook, and go. None of that waiting around for hours and hours, dealing with consignees, p&d, getting lost, and all the other time-wasting garbage. Leave that to the guys in daycabs and short-boxes on the clock getting paid for their time.

Like when I took a load to the University of Chicago bookstore. 2 hours stuck in Chi-Town construction traffic, got lost due to a detour and almost hit a bridge...finally get to the place and trucks lined up everywhere. Had to wait 5 hours to get unloaded. Sent in my empty call and waited another 2 hours for a load....then more gridlock rush-hour traffic. Finally got out of that mess and fueled up at the $hithole T/A in Gary, IN for free...then out of hours and parked for the night.

So that's what...12 hours of work for $30.00 of detention time? Are you kidding me? What other industry gets away with so blatantly abusing their employees time/labor?

I'm not gonna let some two-bit motor carrier jerk me around like that anymore. No way, Jose. For now on it's clock-time with overtime after 8/40....anything else is uncivilized.
LBJ . . we have the Washington State sitchyation . . two companies being sued from two sides over CPM vs. fair labor and overtime. We have the Swift class action thing that has suddenly found new life. There are two California issues fermenting: The port rules, which the Teamsters are hand steering and the recent recognition that "all employees" working in the State (includes Drivers) are entitled to enjoy the rules and benefits of CA labor laws . . the tide IS turning.

Soooo . . I'm going to start a survey thread and i'm looking for input.

What do you (anyone . . not just LBJ) think are the top 3 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 19, etc, motivations for leaving things as they are?

Like:

My Dad (Mom, Granny, Cousin drove truck . . put 17 kids through 3rd grade!)

I don't like anyone and I prefer to be left alone.

The Waltons of the world deserve all the money and laborers be damned!

Heck . . anyone can drive a truck! Takes a real craftsman to change a tire.

I'll build the survey from there. Thanks
Im a tad bit confused on your stand point here Bigtimba.Werent you the one who was advocating swift in another thread? Now you're so anti cpm and swift? Not attacking you,maybe im mistaken.Just wanting to know where you were coming from?
Quote:
I trained with and have been with Swift about four and a half years.

I had two very good - not perfect - trainers and spent about 75% of my 6 training weeks pulling Northwest Heavy Haul. I can say with complete confidence that there is no better training, period, than NWHH. You will learn how to drive a truck. You'll learn how your truck is going to react in a whole bunch of situations you'd be a lot less likely to encounter elsewhere in the country. With that kind of training you can take a truck just about anywhere with a lot more confidence.

That said, if you choose to stay with NWHH, you'd get home at least weekly or at least as often as you'd care to. If you choose OTR, like me, it would more or less depend on how far you were willing to wander. I like going coast to coast and corner to corner. You need to understand that freight moves the truck. You could get a load to the East coast that takes 5 days and then spend 2 weeks (or more) trying to get back.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
If you travel across states lines you come under the jurisdiction of interstate commerce. That is regulated by the Federal government. Since drivers can do other things other than work during those times, they are exempted from the Fair Labor Standards Act. In other words, they cannot be supervised. Drivers would be paid for playing video games, surfing the Internet or anything but working.
I understand the federal jurisdiction, but I don't think your explanation makes any sense. There are plenty of local companies that run intrastate freight where their drivers run sleeper trucks and are paid by the mile and not supervised. The only difference is that they're not crossing state lines. Not all local drivers are paid by the hour.

So your argument doesn't hold water.

Quote:
That is why most drivers are paid by the mile or percentage. It is actually better for the carrier and drivers, at least for those who work. It enables those who work harder to earn a bigger paycheck. Those who slack off are not going to be paid for their lack of productivity.
Yeah the slackoffs won't get paid. But neither will the guy who has hours, wants to run, and the company can't find him a load. Which means he sits in the truckstop earning no pay. How fair is that?

And when he does work, he isn't compensated for all his labor. He gets shorted on the miles he drives, he drops/hooks trailers for free, inspecations for free, looking for MT's, checking-in, sweeping/washing out trailers for free, sits in traffic for free, etc, etc, etc, etc...for free.

Quote:
The companies benefit by only having to pay drivers for their productivity.
Not really. The carriers pay layover pay...but it's after 24 hours. So the OTR guys are getting paid to sit around and play video games. Same deal with breakdown pay and detention pay.

Quote:
The company has no way of knowing for sure who is working and who isn't.
Are you serious? Most fleets use qualcomm or other computer-assisted dispatching. They know where the truck is, how fast it's going, whether it's on or off, idle time, overspeed, etc...that's like having a boss over your shoulder 24/7.

Quote:
There is no incentive for the hourly wage earner to be more productive since they are paid the same whether they work or not.
Yeah, all those UPS package car drivers sitting around doing nothing LOL! You ever see those guys run from their package car to your house? I have.

There is an incentive...it's called getting fired from a good job.

Quote:
They could drive or sit in a truck stop and they would be paid the same money.
Yeah, I have lots of time to sit around truckstops with 22 stops to do in 8-9 hours. :roll:

Quote:
I would not want to limit my income by being paid by the hour.
This doesn't make sense, either. Both the hourly and .cpm driver are limited by the HOS...neither one of us can work more than 70 hours in a week, nor drive more than 11 hours, nor work more than 14. Being paid hourly has nothing to do with it.