User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie23949

No, I wouldn't rather you sugarcoat it. However, your response of "I hope not" was nothing short of a personal slam, hence my comment about how compassionate you obviously are.
Let me ask you this: If a pilot got nailed twice for flying his personal airplane drunk, and then he applied for a pilot position at a commercial airline, would you want to get in a plane with him? Wouldn't you hope that the hiring criteria would automatically exclude him from ever being put in control of something that could potentially kill so many people?

Sadly, the trucking industry does not have the same tight hiring criteria that the airline industry has. I wish it did, because it would mean much better rates for those of us who would meet those criteria. You can take that personally if you'd like. I don't really care. I would question, however, why you take it so personally. Could it be because you know I'm right?

Quote:
You sound like a guy who takes great delight in, and derives great joy from the difficulties of others. In other words, you sound like a WONDERFUL human being and I would love to have you as a neighbor!! :roll:

BTW, just curious, but, are you a real Rev.? If so, you obviously got your ordination from one of those free on-line places that just hand them out to anybody.

P.S. I can't tell you how sorry I am about your truck burning up and I certainly hope it never happens to you again. :roll:
For a guy with two DWI's who can't find a driving job, you sure like to point fingers at other people. :lol:
Old 08-05-2008, 06:41 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
I agree....people should be ostracized, criticized, condemned, cajoled and shunned FOREVER for things they've done in the past.
In this industry, that's exactly how it is. This industry, which holds the life of the motoring public in its hands 24/7, cannot afford to give someone another chance. 1 DUI is bad enough, but most carriers are willing to work with it, providing it's 5 or 7 or 10 years old. However, 2 DUI's indicates that you did not learn your lesson the first time, so why should we believe you learned your lesson the 2nd time? Right or wrong, this IS the perception and in my personal opinion, rightfully so.

Look at it from the company point of view. Any company that gives a driver another chance after 2 DUI's, may as well have a signed blank check ready for when and if that driver is involved in a serious accident, because it will take all of 10 seconds for a prosecuting attorney to say: "you hired this guy, knowing he had 2 DUI's in his past? Great. Just hand me the check, I'll fill in the amount myself."

So, the short answer to your question is NO. There are no companies out there (that I know of anyway), that will hire a driver with more than 1 DUI.

And most of the people on this board are going to agree with Rev and his lack of sugar-coating his answer. In this industry, there is simply no room for alcohol or drugs.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:43 PM
BANNED

Anyone who has poor decision making abilities, such as getting TWO DUI'S in such a short period of time, does not deserve to drive a CMV.

waiting for hobo to chime in...... since this subject is alcohol related.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Board Icon

If he would have gotten those two DWI's in a CMV, it wouldn't even be a question, because he would be disqualified for life.

It's a shame that a trucking school took advantage of this guy, but when push comes to shove, it was up to him to do the research, especially given his record.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thanks Rev. I can tell by your reply that you're a really compassionate guy. Your help is really appreciated.
Eddie23949:

Reality Check:

If you are looking or hoping to find compassion or forgiveness, you might find it in a church, but you will not find it in this industry. Many people who are not familiar with this industry, or those who are new to it, simply do not seem to grasp the fact that this in an industry where you play for keeps; part of that means that consequences are long term. The fact is that you have not one, but two convictions on your record, and that's just two too many for you to be a trucker. This is an industry where the term "Zero Tolerance" carries a very specific meaning.

I invite you to do a search on this very website of drivers who have failed drug tests..... these were guys who knew about the consequences of failing a drug test, yet they STILL went out and abused. When they get caught, they come here to CAD, telling their tales of woe, looking for help in getting back behind the wheel, and then when they are rebuffed, they cop major attitudes. In your case, we are talking about alcohol, which although legal, can be every bit as deadly.

Good drivers work to build and guard their reputations, and every time an irresponsible driver causes a wreck, especially one that results in injury or loss of life, it gives all professional drivers a bad name. We don't want people who have abused drugs or alcohol driving an 80,000 lb. missile through cities, over mountains, or out on the wide open highway.

Now, we understand that your drinking is in the past, and I applaud you for beating the bottle. Still, there are too many other "recovering" alcoholics out on the road who have relapsed, and by the time they get caught, the damage has already been done. The question is, do we want to take that chance??

Remember, my family and I both have to share the roads with you.

Seriously, you should have done some research into this before you ever signed up for classes. Ethically, the local Wholesale Freight Relocation University (better known as a "diploma mill") you attended should have advised you of that before they took your money, but it was not their legal obligation or responsibility to do so.

I wish you no ill, and as The Rev himself will attest, he and I don't always see eye to eye on everything. But I must join The Rev. in saying that you are not a suitable candidate for driving a big truck, and I too, hope that no company will take a chance on you. The risk is too high, the damage is all too often irreparable, and there are already too many drivers out there who should not be driving.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
waiting for hobo to chime in...... since this subject is alcohol related.
I was going to tell the guy that if he wanted compassion, he should ask golfhobo for it, but that just sounded too mean. :lol:
Old 08-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Are there any companies that will hire a guy with 2 DWI'

Quote:
I recently graduated from a driving school and have a class A license. Now, I'm looking for a job.

Problem is that I've made some mistakes in the past and I have two DIW's on my record. One is eight years old; the other is seven. All of that was in another life and I no longer drink.

Does anyone know of any companies that will hire a recent grad with a record like mine? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

NO

-p.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
If he would have gotten those two DWI's in a CMV, it wouldn't even be a question, because he would be disqualified for life.
Interesting that the FMCSA makes such a distinction. They should have asked your opinion first. :wink:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Board Regular

good luck on finding a descent company,looks like to me you might have to find a out-law company to drive for.Just like the others have said you are pretty much cooked in this industry.With just one DWI it has to be 7 yrs, or longer before they will even think of hiring you.But with 2 no way.

Here is a web-site i use to check out trucking companies is
www.fleetdirectory.com
Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Interesting that the FMCSA makes such a distinction. They should have asked your opinion first. :wink:
Why?