User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How much do you make?

I know this might be alot to ask but I have been on a couple forums an the money question seems to vary by alot. My question is how much money do you make, how much do you make currently an how much did you make your first year. A monthly figure along with what you make a year would be good to know, anyway thanks to those that respond.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

That answer is going to vary greatly, as different segments of the industry pay differently.... a first year driver will probably make around $30K whereas an experienced driver will make much more....and it will depend on who one works for...and what kind of job it is. Pulling a "chemical tanker" pays much more for less miles than box, reefer or flatbed.

How much do I make.... 8) Enough to keep my very happy, and still get a lot of home time!! 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Board Regular

I make more than double of what an entry-level driver makes and I am home most every night.

I make less than half what my executive-recruiter father makes.

-p.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.
Default Re: How much do you make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggynCali
I know this might be alot to ask but I have been on a couple forums an the money question seems to vary by alot. My question is how much money do you make, how much do you make currently an how much did you make your first year. A monthly figure along with what you make a year would be good to know, anyway thanks to those that respond.
If OTR was paid by the hour it would be $8- $12 hour. Most companies pay by the mile.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Senior Board Member

The account I'm on has two parts to it. One guy runs through the night to pick up the materials and bring them back to the Pittsburgh area, and the other guy delivers the material in the morning. We usually run 2 week of one, then switch.

When I run a 525 round trip linehaul (drop/hook), I make $1050 for the week. Home everynight and weekends.

When I run local deliveries, I am guaranteed atleast $720/week and $27/hr after 40 hours worked. This past week on local, I made $1010.25

I'm happy and I aint going nowhere. I have a GREAT boss, pretty good benies, and the company treats everyone great.
This is only my second trucking job.

My first job was local for a small mom&pop company, I only made $13/hr, but was treated very well and was still better than going OTR and I still felt like I was rich compared to the $8.50/hr I got for delivering tires in a pickup truck for the previous 3 years before I got my cdl.

If you can keep your nose clean, it pretty much all depends on what you make of it. One thing I cant express enough though is, when looking for a job, remember that you need the company more than they need you. Show them that you are interested and are wanting to work. Make multiple phone calls if you have to. Otherwise, your just another application on the desk. Hope I helped. Hope nobody makes fun of my measley pay checks! ops: (No seriously, I still dont feel like I make alot of money..I guess it's cause my sister makes $100K+ year, and I'm always compared to her by some people. :?

Adapt and overcome.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

No easy answer to this question. Depends on what you are hauling, who you are hauling for, how long you have been doing it and how long you stay out doing it. Very basic rule of thumb, unless you are a freight hauler under union contract, is the more difficult it is the more you will make. If you are a steering wheel holder that does drop and hook you will be at the bottom. Move up the scale to different (more chalenging) loads and the pay goes up. I have, as an O/O, a four axle tractor and a 3+3+3 trailer and the gal who does my taxes says last year I cleared (after all exspences) $87,540.00. That was 127 days driving and another 31 days sitting in a hotel waiting for a load or waiting for a crane to unload.
Just have to go out there and do what you can do and build exsperiance to move up in the world.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Well now i drive dump trucks and get 18/hr. It aint a bad job but the OT has been slowly dropping off. At the rate i am working i will gross around 40k a year which i am not happy with :evil: I am going to talk to Boss Man 2marrow to see if any OT is coming up.

My best trucking job i had was driving tankers getting 19.10 when i left. Made around 51k a year and work around 45hrs a week to get it. It had alot of paid time like personal days and sick days. Sunday was double time and they also paid stand by time. Stand by time is when they didnt know if they would need you or not on a saturday or sunday and pay you 80 bucks just to be ready if they did. You had 1hr to get to the shop after they called you. Here is one of my pay stubs of that job before i got my rise i was only making 18.74/hr.

Oh yea i also got this job at 21years old with no OTR exp and never went to a driving school. So it can be done.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Senior Board Member

I will earn ~$40k this year with my mellow work 8-9hrs hosteling job. This is by choice.

If I wanted to be a work-a-holic $ whore I could be making $65-75K as an LTL roadman.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Senior Board Member

40-44K before taxes on avg
Old 07-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Simple question...

Not nearly enough.

I can't afford one of those HUGE MOTORHOMES I see on the road all the time.