User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
"I'm looking for a long-haul job. I want to run coast-to-coast and none of that short haul crap."
I would have thrown his demands in the garbage, after reading the first paragraph.
Anyone using the word crap in a job application is not hireable.

Then again, this industry does attract the lowest of the low sometimes.

Wonder why? :roll:
Old 06-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohaa
Quote:
"I'm looking for a long-haul job. I want to run coast-to-coast and none of that short haul crap."
I would have thrown his demands in the garbage, after reading the first paragraph.
Anyone using the word crap in a job application is not hireable.

Then again, this industry does attract the lowest of the low sometimes.

Wonder why? :roll:
That's just it: The "lowest of the low" just aren't cutting it anymore. It would appear as if the industry is weeding itself out. Personally, I wish it would hurry up already.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimba
No question there will be changes in this business. While it would be purely speculative to predict when it will happen, PPM/CPM is on it's way out. Instead, you can expect to see a day rate which takes into consideration all Driver responsibilities beyond the driving. It will restore the incentive (necessity) to use the truck and Driver more efficiently, eliminate downtime and eliminate the productivity penalty Drivers experience for circumstances beyond their control. Between lower MPH and the inevitable onset of more resrtictive idling rules, it's going to make more sense to pay Drivers NOT to sleep or even be in the truck when it's not moving. That could mean a lot more trucks parked in hotel lots or a lot more hotel like accomodations at truck stops.

It's entirely conceivable that it will require forced dispatch and a lot more freight fingerprinting, when appropriate, but that just makes sense. What good does it do anyone to have the driver sitting . . and waiting . . while someone else loads/unloads.

Drivers can expect to earn more, attrition will decline, safety will improve and it will go a long way toward eliminating the artificial "subsidized" rates shippers have been demanding and eliminate a lot of the so called "cheap freight".

The only thing I take issue with in the OP is the night driving thing. There is new and better information regarding night driving all the time. The bottom line is that most people aren't programmed and cannot program themselves to rearrange their sleep. I know . . plenty of drivers love it and prefer it but I doubt that many liability sensative companies are going to impose or expect more of it.
Thanks for the well thought out and insightful post bigtimba. Some may not like hearing this, but, CFM had been prophetizing most of these same points for quite some time. Albeit, to mostly deaf ears. Until now.

Try telling all of the above to the coolie carrier management types and see how fast that they start to squeal that all problems are the fault of the driver. This has become the standard response. 'Drivers will have to adapt.' Again and again and again.

I think the opposite. The driver will be there tomorrow, in one form or another. Whether X, Y or Z company will be with us is the operative question. The air of desperation is becoming stifling.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Excellent post!
Old 06-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Board Member

One of the big secrets in selling is saying NOTHING about what you want and EVERYTHING about what your customer wants. As a potential driver you are selling yourself to your employer. Your potential employer is your customer. You need to know your customer so find out everything you can about them and you can speak to the recruiter their terms. Tell them " I know you want a hardworking hassle free employee with a good record, and that is me." That example might be a bit too blunt but you get my point.

Getting a job isn't about what you want, it is about what your employer wants. If my FleetManager says "GO" then I GO, simple as that. If you hassle and needle the recruiter aren't you going to do the same with your FM? Your attitude to the recruiter will factor into your getting hired.

Good subject TF.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 06-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Senior Board Member

I wish that the crybabies that are in this industry would just hurry up and leave. We are supposed to be adults out here and I can't even listen to the c.b.without laughing or wanting to puke. "Your company sucks" No, "Your company sucks" You wanna fight? What a bunch of children. As Rev. said do your research before you are supposed to be at orientation,not after. I am leaving for orientation tomorrow can somebody tell me the ups and downs of XYZ Company? Great topic anyway TF
Old 06-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am amazed at how many drivers lay out their list of demands. Some seem to want top pay, a new shiny truck with lots of chrome, triple digit speeds, etc., They want to know what the company is going to do for them. My question is what are YOU going to do for the company? Perks should be EARNED. There are some drivers who will trash their truck, steal and slack off and still expect top pay. When drivers cost their company money there is less that can be spent on perks such as new trucks, higher pay and better benefits. They will receive more by giving more. Some can't quite seem to grasp that concept.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:11 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Well put, GMan. Trucking is a job, just like any other job. Sure, it has a different set of skills than sitting at a desk all day, but it's still a job and you're working for a company doing the job they hired you to do. And perks are earned, just like any other job.

Every day cannot be a day of wine and roses, even in the best of jobs, and work is just that...work, whether you're driving the truck or dispatching the truck.

Yet with all that has been said, I can still understand drivers wanting this and that and everything else. Hell, you're doing a job that keeps you away from home for weeks at a time. So you're bound to want some of the comforts of home and I don't begrudge anyone that. But you have to be reasonable, too. When you start building that list of demands and must-haves and it far outstrips a company's offering, then it's time to look into buying your own truck. You simply cannot have an expansive and expensive list of must-haves and be a company driver at the same time. The two just aren't compatible.

Regarding the comments made earlier on night-driving, I can understand where they are coming from. Like I said, I have a hard enough time driving at night, too. For the most part, bodies are hard-wired that way. Unfortunately, we live in a JITD era and a lot of customers want their stuff there at night so they can be ready to roll in production or retail first thing in the morning. That's just part of the nature of the beast. And I guarantee if that if the industry moves away from the CPM mindset, night driving will take an even more prominent place in the job-set.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Rookie

These posts are MUST READ for newbies like myself who are looking to get into the industry. Thanks for the eye opening topic.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Rookie

I drove feeder for UPS 1977-1986. Most of that was night driving. I'm a day person but having to work at night was a small sacrifice to land a job like that. :wink: I bid different runs over the years and found that I slept WAY better if my run ended before daylight.

The company I'm with now has great dispatchers at my home terminal. In 1 yr. & 3 mo I've only had to drive all night twice (in a row) but it was necessary. After unloading I called my dispatcher & explained that my body clock wasn't cooperating after 2 consecutive nights and I didn't feel safe. Asked to stay over at the Pilot in Lexington, KY the rest of the day & all night to get back on a day schedule. He said no problem.

Night driving really has some advantages though, if you like it.