User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Another Story

I have read some ggod advice on the Class A site and have a personal story to tell, so be nice please.Helpful answers not condescending putdowns.

I worked for an OTR Company for over 6 months.I decided to try local with an LTL Company so I told my boss I was leaving.His response was, "Turn in your truck, keys and comdata card today".I did this in person at the Op Center at his desk.He had me fill out a resignation letter and sign it.We exchanged some small talk and I shook his hand and left for the last time.I wondered why they wanted me to leave the same day but I guess that is how it's done.

The LTL Company wanted me to start right away, so a week or two notice wouldn't have been possible anyway.After about 2 weeks employment when I went in to get my check, the HR person told me the terminal manager wanted to see me.He told me,"I am sorry but I have to let you go because there was a discrepancy on what you listed as leaving one of your employers.I was stunned.They showed me where the employer had
said I was discharged for unsatisfactory performance but I had put down layed off.They said the LTL Company is very strict on this and that the reason given must be exact.So I was let go.

Will this go on my DAC report?
Since I was employed a short time, will I have to disclose this to another prosective employer?
If so will it keep me from getting another job?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:07 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!
Default Re: Another Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver10
I have read some ggod advice on the Class A site and have a personal story to tell, so be nice please.Helpful answers not condescending putdowns.

I worked for an OTR Company for over 6 months.I decided to try local with an LTL Company so I told my boss I was leaving.His response was, "Turn in your truck, keys and comdata card today".I did this in person at the Op Center at his desk.He had me fill out a resignation letter and sign it.We exchanged some small talk and I shook his hand and left for the last time.I wondered why they wanted me to leave the same day but I guess that is how it's done.

The LTL Company wanted me to start right away, so a week or two notice wouldn't have been possible anyway.After about 2 weeks employment when I went in to get my check, the HR person told me the terminal manager wanted to see me.He told me,"I am sorry but I have to let you go because there was a discrepancy on what you listed as leaving one of your employers.I was stunned.They showed me where the employer had
said I was discharged for unsatisfactory performance but I had put down layed off
.They said the LTL Company is very strict on this and that the reason given must be exact.So I was let go.

Since I was employed a short time, will I have to disclose this to another prosective employer?

Why did you tell the new comany that you was laid off??

The next time you decide to leave a company type or write out a 2 week notice.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Rookie

Tried to play it down.It's not like I am an ex felon...sheeeeze!
No other employer has questioned it except the LTL.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:32 AM
Rookie

Oh and by the way, the job was not in trucking that I was discharged from.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Tried to play it down.It's not like I am an ex felon...sheeeeze!
No other employer has questioned it except the LTL.

you lied and got caught you should have been fired

Never lend your car to anyone to whom you have given birth.

You have a cough? Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:46 AM
Rookie

Ok, Thanks for your opinion.
Any others out there.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

said I was discharged for unsatisfactory performance but I had put down layed off.They said the LTL Company is very strict on this and that the reason given must be exact.So I was let go.

Your not telling the entire story, you said you quit the otr job, but then told the ltl you got layed off...
Old 03-18-2008, 03:57 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Quote:

I worked for an OTR Company for over 6 months.I decided to try local with an LTL Company so I told my boss I was leaving.His response was, "Turn in your truck, keys and comdata card today".I did this in person at the Op Center at his desk.?
Quote:
Oh and by the way, the job was not in trucking that I was discharged from.

You are not making any sense. Are you saying the 2nd job was not in trucking?

You might make a good car salesman :? :?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:08 AM
Rookie

never mind...I knew this would be too difficult for truckdrivers to understand.

LOL
Old 03-18-2008, 04:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Also put yourself in the companies shoes, they are hiring you, to drive a $150,000+ vehicle, filled with potentially millions of dollars in goods, they look over your app in more detail, check your references, CALL your previous employers, and find out you lied about your reason for leaving another company, now if I owned a trucking business and ran across this, I would think to myself, "If he is willing to lie on this app, whats to say he isnt going to be selling plasma tvs or tools from his load", not saying that you would ever do such a thing, but that is how employers think, if they cannot trust you, they cannot trust you, all it takes is a little lie to screw it up. This is one of the reasons why the trucking industry is so thorough in checking out your work history, your not in the dollar store selling cheap trinkets, your in a multi-million dollar valued vehicle, all by yourself, as your own accountability.