Thread: Mack Vision steering

ChikinTrucka is offline Member

Default Mack Vision steering

OK, I'm no newbie, but I feel like it in this truck. I have never had a truck that was harder to drive in a straight line. I've driven almost every kind of truck, from a 'B' Mack to a new Freightshaker 'classic' But nothing has handled as bad as this 2005 Vision. Anyone else have this problem? Or am I just getting old and finding my job more difficult?
    Thanks.
    It ain't what you haul, It's how you haul it!
    Keep the bugs off yer bumper and the bears off yer tail.
    Carry the message, not the sickness...
    http://eastcoasthoppers.com/

LadyNorthStar is offline Senior Board Member

Maybe it need a wheel alignment, or has some other issue with the steering components.
    If its that bad it should be considered a serious problem, and be looked at!
    The Alaska Highway is my playground!

Malaki86 is offline Senior Board Member

I agree. Something is probably worn out in the suspension or the alignment is severely off.

bandits44x is offline Member

I just started with a new company and for the last 2 weeks or so I've been driving a Mack vision...handles pretty good.

Uturn2001 is offline Senior Board Member
    East Central IL between the corn and the beans

I know a couple of O/O who own Visions and they have never mentioned any inherent problems with them.

I agree with the above. Sounds like that truck needs a thorough going over from the tires on up.
    Finding the right trucking company is like finding the right person to marry. I really comes down to finding one whose BS you can put up with and who can put up wih yours.

Must just be me. I drove and old Mack with 1.5 million miles on it and thought it handled good. Then went to a 2004(?) Vision and couldn't keep it between the lines. Now I'm in a different Vision (2005?) and feel it handles the same way. Maybe I'm just gettin' old, lazy, or not used to the way modern trucks handle. Whatever the case, I'll know for sure when I get into a different truck. Thanks for the feedback.
    Keep the bugs off your bumper and the Bears off your tail!

jegzus is offline Board Regular

I've noticed that too in the 06' vision I used to drive. It's almost like the steering has a "delay" in it. Not "play" but actual delay....it's hard to explain unless you've experienced it yourself.
    Lets go....

Stainless is offline Member

We had a Mack Vision as a loaner from Penske once and at high speed it felt like it was floating from side to side a wee bit. You had to drive the thing like actors pretend to drive cars on TV, always turning the wheel back and forth.

Plus the turning radius on the thing was terrible. Nobody ever wanted to drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by jegzus
    I've noticed that too in the 06' vision I used to drive. It's almost like the steering has a "delay" in it. Not "play" but actual delay....it's hard to explain unless you've experienced it yourself.

Finally, someone else. Now I don't feel defective, it's the truck!

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless
    We had a Mack Vision as a loaner from Penske once and at high speed it felt like it was floating from side to side a wee bit. You had to drive the thing like actors pretend to drive cars on TV, always turning the wheel back and forth.

Plus the turning radius on the thing was terrible. Nobody ever wanted to drive it.

That's it exactly.
    Maybe I need to slow down...., not.
    :roll:

driver1989 is offline Rookie

Yeah the 05-07 visions have a wobble to them , I pulled a tanker with a 06 vision 70 in. bunk , not as stable as a 1998 vision . And the 1998 vision felt pushy , compared to an older ch613 they feel like a train so stable. I drove late 70,s and 80,s R models , those were tough trucks . And a old 2 stick , 08 macks are supposed to be better .

Quote Originally Posted by driver1989
    Yeah the 05-07 visions have a wobble to them , I pulled a tanker with a 06 vision 70 in. bunk , not as stable as a 1998 vision . And the 1998 vision felt pushy , compared to an older ch613 they feel like a train so stable. I drove late 70,s and 80,s R models , those were tough trucks . And a old 2 stick , 08 macks are supposed to be better .
    I drove a Mack Superliner for a while. It was an antique, but it had tons of power and handled better than a new truck. You can keep the 'R' and the 'U' models and use the quad-box for a boat anchor. Nobody pays enough to drive those anymore! I'm dreaming of a 2009 Western Star, with a 96 inch sleeper, shower, toilet, ramp for my motorcycle, 18 speed, 125MPH top end, black with flames down the sides, 10 inch chrome stacks, enough chicken lights to put Vegas to shame, and 35 MPG, OK, now I'm just gettin' carried away! 6.5 MPG would be acceptable. :moose:

TomB985 is offline Board Regular

[quote="ChikinTrucka"]
    Quote Originally Posted by driver1989
    I'm dreaming of a 2009 Western Star, with a 96 inch sleeper, shower, toilet, ramp for my motorcycle, 18 speed, 125MPH top end, black with flames down the sides, 10 inch chrome stacks, enough chicken lights to put Vegas to shame, and 35 MPG, OK, now I'm just gettin' carried away! 6.5 MPG would be acceptable. [/color] :moose:
    hrmmm...you might as well be asking to turn the sky purple...6.5 in that rig.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

rubberducky is offline Board Regular

I drive a mack vision day cab from time to time and no issues with that one. It has only 124k miles on it though.

16. This ad will disappear if you login