User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Just got my CDL Class A Instruction Permit! HELP!!!

Hello,

I just got my instruction permit and am looking to get some training. I am located in northern Maine and am in need of someone to show me the ropes, how to drive, how to truck properly! If you would like to be the person to train me please let me know so we can set something up. Maybe it could work into a job or something in the future? I am willing to try anything that you are willing to help me out with! Thanks a lot!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I do not know what kind of trucking you are planning on doing, but without going through an approved CDL school you are going to have a very difficult time finding a job.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Rookie

I don't have any preference on the kind of trucking I do, I don't plan on getting any hazmat endorsements so I wouldnt be driving anything like that. I live in northern Maine where the pulp and timber industry seems to be the main source of trucking. I don't think it will be hard to get established once I get my license. I just need someone to take me in and show me how to operate a truck and how to properly drive a large rig. So, to make a long story short, I will likely be hauling chips or logs up here. That would be my start.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Senior Board Member

My suggestion would be to talk to the companies who do the kind of work you are talking about. You never know, one of them may be willing to train you.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csal
I don't have any preference on the kind of trucking I do, I don't plan on getting any hazmat endorsements so I wouldnt be driving anything like that. I live in northern Maine where the pulp and timber industry seems to be the main source of trucking. I don't think it will be hard to get established once I get my license. I just need someone to take me in and show me how to operate a truck and how to properly drive a large rig. So, to make a long story short, I will likely be hauling chips or logs up here. That would be my start.

Well I hate to burst your bubble, but no reputable company will hire anyone without any experience, thats verifiable work experience. Learning from "Joe Schmoe" isnt going to help you at all. You have to ask yourself, if "Joe Schmoe" knows what the hell he is doing. You might spend a good amount of time learning from a complete idiot who wont teach you any useful skills.

Also is "JS" going to insure you? Insurance is the main reason the industry wants properly trained drivers. If you fill out an application what are you going to put down as experience? "I learned how to drive a truck from some guy who has a license". Its up to the insurance company whether you get hired. Of course you can hire on with a outlaw outfit which in that case you might as well throw your license in the trash.

Go with a good company, stick with it for about a year and then go for the jobs in Maine. You have a better chance of being hired than going by the way you are planning.