User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Prescription meds

Hey all! I'm returning to driving this Jan. due to tearing my acl twice this past year. Anyway my Dr. put me on wellbutrin for depression (sitting doing nothing gets to ya!!!) which worked some what. then just recently he added a low dose of xanax to help with anxiety. I don't feel tired with it or any other side effects that some complain about. I have over two yrs. otr and I know that it takes your full mental awareness. I feel great and fully alert all day. Question is will a company look at me and the other is will the xanax show up on an urine test. I know the wellbutrin won't but not sure about the xanax..... thnks
Old 10-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Prescription Meds

Why don't you check with the safety department of the company you're interested in and ask 'em about the meds? Doesn't your copy of the FMCSA Driver Handbook give you any info too? BOL
Old 10-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Xanax more than likely will. However, since that is a drug that is only taken as necessary...maybe not using it a couple of weeks or more before taken the UA would be a good idea. I would suggest not having it around a CMV. I know for a fact that XANAX....can reduce you to a drooling blob if you manage to stay awake..... 8)

Ask your doctor how long it takes to clear your system completely. Then once you are employed....do not use it. That stuff puts you down for the count. If you were in a CMV "asleep"....after taking one of those.... and the truck caught on fire....we would be reading your obituary the next day or two. Lousy way to make the 6 PM newscast.

Yes, many years ago.....before I got into this, I was prescribed Xanax so that I could sleep... seemed I had become an insomniac...and that stuff literally knocked me to the floor in short order. Slept like a baby. My wife said I slept like the dead. Its not a medication to "trifle" with.....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Rookie
Default honesty

I agree with contacting your carrier. If they spot test you; they NEED to know what you are taking. Also I would be very careful on taking any of it. Meds can reduce your reaction time a great deal. Besides, going through life as a vegetable ain't livin'.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info, but being on a small dosage .25mg twice daily, does not but me in a comatose state.... I feel fine and full of energy. I beleive when people need meds for the right reason rather than just taken them for recreational use it makes a big difference!!! I must say xanax does have a bad rep/ but when used as prescribed and for the right reason it works. and not all have some of those bad side effects. So I did look it up on fmcsa and they don't look for such drugs as it is in the class 4. thnks tho for the replies...
Old 10-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona101
Thanks for the info, but being on a small dosage .25mg twice daily, does not but me in a comatose state.... I feel fine and full of energy. I beleive when people need meds for the right reason rather than just taken them for recreational use it makes a big difference!!! I must say xanax does have a bad rep/ but when used as prescribed and for the right reason it works. and not all have some of those bad side effects. So I did look it up on fmcsa and they don't look for such drugs as it is in the class 4. thnks tho for the replies...
XANAX is what is called a Expanded Tests Drug. While fmcsa does not require these ETD many companies do require this additional testing.

Best to talk to your doctor and your safety department.

kc0iv
Old 10-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Your doctor prescribed xanax and wellbutrin . You could have saved a trip to the Doctors ,and just bought a SACK-O-Weed and a bag of Cheetos . :wink:
Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Board Regular

I was prescribed welbutrin as part of a stop smoking program when I was in the Navy. It got me so anti-depressed I just quit going to work and sat at home watching cartoons for a few days. My supervisor told me to quit taking them and start coming to work again. I eventually quit smoking with just the patches for a few weeks.
They gave me the weirdest dreams too.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Rookie

Welbutrin wouldn't be a problem. Xanax will be though for most major carriers insurance companies. I would suggest possibly looking for an alternative medication like Cymbalta, which is an easily approved low dose med.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
You could have saved a trip to the Doctors ,and just bought a SACK-O-Weed and a bag of Cheetos . :wink:
Ya, don't try that, I did and ended up going to the emergency room cause my wiener turned orange.