User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CDL Learners permit? DOT Physical.

Hi.. Im not even a "newbie" yet I guess that makes me a "wannabe". The trucking company I intend to initiate school with is "Interstate Dist. Co." They have told me that before I attend school I must obtain a learners permit from my home state by going to the DMV and studying the booklet and taking the test. Just wondering, but it is a 144 page booklet with seemingly all the information I would think I would go to school to learn... In other words, putting the cart before the horse so to speak. Is this normal? And as well, have required that I obtain a DOT physical before I start class... Can anyone tell me where I can obtain one.
Thanks, TERMAGANT
Old 08-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Board Regular

The cdl booklet is state laws and the tip of the iceberg so to speak. It's a continual learning experience through school, trainer at company and on your own in the real world.You can get a DOT physical at any walk in clinic or dr's office that offers the service. Just have to call around because not every Dr offers them. BOL
Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Rookie

[The cdl booklet is state laws and the tip of the iceberg so to speak. It's a continual learning experience through school, trainer at company and on your own in the real world.You can get a DOT physical at any walk in clinic or dr's office that offers the service. Just have to call around because not every Dr offers them. BOL]

Thank U for the reply Kurbski, "...tip of the iceberg" seems a good analogy the more I look into this venture I am about to embark on, the more I realize it's not just a matter of getting in a truck and driving...
I will endevor to persevere...So much information so little time...Another thing I wanted to ask is if you or anyone else has any feedback on "Interstate Dist Co." as far as trucking co.'s go... Seem a litte more up front and personal than Swift, CRST... Pay more too... any opinions?
Thanks again Kurbski[/quote]
Old 08-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Have you ever bought some kids toy that needed assembly or some piece of ready to assemble furniture. You can read the directions all day long but when you sit down to actually put the thing together you find that it is somewhat different than what the printed material led you to believe.

Well truck driving is a lot like that. :wink:
Old 08-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Rookie

As far as the learners permit, you will need it to drive the trucks while in school....also, you might give the company a call and see if they have any dr's in your area that they use for physicals or ask your own dr if he does DOT physicals...
Old 08-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Rookie

Where I live they allow you to take the learners test once per day with no strikes. If they allow that there I would suggest taking the test once just to get a feel for what they will look for. Even if you fail it shouldn't count against you.

Most of the questions on my state's test are really common knowledge and basic truck stuff - not overly difficult at all. Our booklet is also 150+ pages, but 90+ of those pages were Hazmat, Passenger, Tanker, and doubles - none of which you need to be concerned with BEFORE getting your CDL.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Rookie
Default CDL Learners permit? DOT Physical.

{Have you ever bought some kids toy that needed assembly or some piece of ready to assemble furniture. You can read the directions all day long but when you sit down to actually put the thing together you find that it is somewhat different than what the printed material led you to believe.}

LOL...Another good analogy...Certainly a good defense for not reading the directions... In this case I'm gonna hafta take a stab at them though, just to get the frame up, I'll add some nuts and bolts as I go along...
Thanks for the humorous advise Uturn
[/quote]
Old 08-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers
Where I live they allow you to take the learners test once per day with no strikes. If they allow that there I would suggest taking the test once just to get a feel for what they will look for. Even if you fail it shouldn't count against you.

Most of the questions on my state's test are really common knowledge and basic truck stuff - not overly difficult at all. Our booklet is also 150+ pages, but 90+ of those pages were Hazmat, Passenger, Tanker, and doubles - none of which you need to be concerned with BEFORE getting your CDL.
Wow thanks for the heads up Bonkers! I will check on that here in CA. It's a relief to know this... It seemed so overwhelming to me... Now thanks to you guys, not so much... You people are a godsend... With your help I might even make it!!
Thanks Bonkers
Old 08-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Interstate is a good company. Most of their runs are west coast but they are starting to get more freight in the east and south. Good comapny to start with.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERMAGANT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers

Wow thanks for the heads up Bonkers! I will check on that here in CA. It's a relief to know this... It seemed so overwhelming to me... Now thanks to you guys, not so much... You people are a godsend... With your help I might even make it!!
Thanks Bonkers

this site has some practice tests online. its free so try it

http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/practice-tests.php

I've been driving 30 years and I still missed 2 ops: