User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Trip planning with an atlas

Has anyone noticed that a lot of low overhead clearances aren't marked in their trucker's road atlas?

I have a brand new Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Road Atlas, and I've come across atleat 10 low overhead overpasses that weren't marked in the book.

Luckily I knew the area very well and was able to detour my way around these bridges.

So, has anyone experienced anything like this yet, or do I just have the wrong atlas? LOL!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Do you have the Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Atlas? If so, you have the best one. But....RM is not perfect, as you will find out. They don't have all of the interstate exits on their maps, and some towns are in the index of the standard one, and others appear in the large print edition, and vice versa.

I can't say I have ever had a problem with low clearances..... but who knows, I may yet, and my tanker is only about 12'2" to 12'6" depending on the model and crashbox height.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:56 AM
Senior Board Member

The biggest issue I have found with low clearances is in New York state. To this day I have not figured out how that state marks its underpasses. I have been under bridges marked 12 6- 13' and seen trucks tag ones marked 13 6 or higher. :roll: