Thread: Moving to a new state, changing my cdl

Shawster is offline Rookie

Default Moving to a new state, changing my cdl

I know that I have thirty days to do this, and that I will have to pay, but my question is if I will have to retake the written tests for my cdl and endorsements?

Uturn2001 is offline Senior Board Member
    East Central IL between the corn and the beans

The only test you may have to retake will be the haz mat.
    Finding the right trucking company is like finding the right person to marry. I really comes down to finding one whose BS you can put up with and who can put up wih yours.

BigDiesel is offline BANNED Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Uturn2001
    The only test you may have to retake will be the haz mat.
    Wrong !!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Look up the CDL Licensing requirements for new residents of that state & call & see what they tell you. Don't be surprised if you end up retaking ALL of your written tests for the state that you're moving to.
    Hurry Up & Wait

inmate1577 is offline Senior Board Member

Not in Florida. I transferred my Class A, plus motorcycle endorsement without retaking any tests.
    Everything I need to know about driving a truck I learned from watching "DUEL"

Sabine is offline Board Regular

I moved from NC to MO, the only endorsement I had to take the test for again was Hazmat. Everything else, including Motorcycle transferred.
    For Anthony, who was taken from our lives much too young. I love you honey, and I will always miss you.
    ~21 December 1973 - 29 September 2006~

MADLUX is offline Senior Board Member

It just depends on the state.
    -MADLUX

slowmoe20 is offline Member

That varies from state to state greatly. When I moved to IN I even had to take the regular drivers license test...lol you'll have to get in touch with the dmv there to figure out what you'll need to do.

trick_knee is offline Rookie

Had to retake the Hazmat test when I transferred my Florida CDL to CT (even though the state website made it out like I wouldn't have to). They didn't really seem to have a clue at the DMV. I was lucky to have kept my TSA clearance letter, and have it on hand. At first they were trying to tell me I needed to get printed and go through the background check again. :roll: Hopefully the employees in your state are a bit more competent.
    Let's roll.

Shawster is offline Rookie

Thanks for the replies.

I do have to retake my tests (I just moved to IL), so I've been brushing up with the IL study guide. I don't yet have hazmat but I need it for my new company- I guess it's just as well that I didn't get it before I moved here.

The local DMV did have a dedicated CDL holder's window with no need to take a number - it was kind of nice to have that little perk.

CaliTrucker is offline Board Regular

When I moved to california I had to take all of the written tests, even the test for a regular vehicle...fortunately I passed it and all was good.

But I believe when I move back to WY in the next few weeks, I believe all I have to do is pay, and probably take the hazmat and do the finger printing since it expires in Nov. of this year anyways :roll:

bonzo is offline Rookie

make shure you take a good look at your license before you leave the dmv. when i did this in texas last year they forgot my tanker endorsement and also my motorcycle licence. i was glad i looked before i left.

14. This ad will disappear if you login