User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Meds you CAN take?

Hi all!

I was just wondering if there was any anti-anxiety / anti depressant meds that you CAN take while driving a CMV??

I already have my CDL, but I can’t seem to find a list of the meds that are allowed.

Can any of you vets help me out?

Thanks Driver!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:18 AM
Senior Board Member

You can take anything that is not DOT restricted. I believe the FMCSR's do cover that. Different companies have different lists and while one company, like Schneider....may have a very restrictive list, another company may not.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member

What you can take is between you, the prescribing doctor, the doctor that does you DOT physical, and the company you work for.

The FMCSA regs basically say you can take anything so long as it is prescribed to you, is taken in the prescribed manner, and does not cause a safety issue.

What you need to do is talk to the doctor that is prescribing your medication and tell him that you are wanting to drive and you want to make sure that he does not feel the medication(s) you are on does not pose a safety hazard.

Then get that doctor to write a letter stating what you are taking, the dosage, what it is for and that he feels that it does not pose a safety risk.

Be sure to take that letter, and a copy, to your DOT exam when you have one and show it to the examiner.

Oh yes, be sure to mention this to any recruiter you talk to since some companies have a very specific list of what medications they will allow a driver to take and operate their equipment.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Don't know of specific meds that are allowed....

Here's an older 2003 link of drugs not allowed (21 CFR 1308.11 Schedule I):
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...cfr1308.11.htm

Here's some general information and links....

FMCSA Part 391:
(b)(12)(i) Does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11 Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug.

(b)(12)(ii) Exception. A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who:

(b)(12)(ii)(A) Is familiar with the driver's medical history and assigned duties; and

(b)(12)(ii)(B) Has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver's ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle; and

(b)(13) Has no current clinical diagnosis of alcoholism.

Advisory Criteria for 391.41(b)(12): http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...htm#mrc391.41]

A person is physically qualified to drive a commercial vehicle if that person:

Does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11, Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug.

Exception: A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who is familiar with the driver's medical history and assigned duties; and has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver's ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle.

This exception does not apply to the use of methadone.

The intent of the medical certification process is to medically evaluate a driver to ensure that the driver has no medical condition which interferes with the safe performance of driving tasks on a public road. If a driver uses a Schedule I drug or other substance, amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug, it may be cause for the driver to be found medically unqualified. Motor carriers are encouraged to obtain a practitioner's written statement about the effects on transportation safety of the use of a particular drug.

Frequently asked medical questions:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...edical/faq.asp

FYI -- Court case: individual took JB Hunt to court for not hiring him because of side-effects of prescription medication (warning: legalese ahead!). The court ruled in favor of JB Hunt:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...016084&exact=1

FYI -- From an employer's perspective:
http://www.occmedphysicians.com/articles/dotexam.pdf
Old 07-13-2007, 03:31 AM

S W E E T ! thanks !

Old 07-13-2007, 04:10 PM

I just want to find a way to take marinol...I gots "bad anger probs" and need something to calm my nerves.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larz0142
I just want to find a way to take marinol...I gots "bad anger probs" and need something to calm my nerves.
You mean like this stuff: http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/ongoing/marinol.html

http://www.marinol.com/

Good luck keeping a job.... 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Board Member

somewhere i saw a list of DOT prohibited meds. recently trazadone has been prohibited. the list was quite extensive.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
391.41(b)(9)

A person is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle if that person:

Has no mental, nervous, organic, or functional disease or psychiatric disorder likely to interfere with the driver's ability to drive a commercial motor vehicle safely.

Emotional or adjustment problems contribute directly to an individual's level of memory, reasoning, attention, and judgment. These problems often underlie physical disorders. A variety of functional disorders can cause drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, weakness, or paralysis that may lead to incoordination, inattention, loss of functional control and susceptibility to crashes while driving. Physical fatigue, headache, impaired coordination, recurring physical ailments, and chronic "nagging" pain may be present to such a degree that certification for commercial driving is inadvisable. Somatic and psychosomatic complaints should be thoroughly examined when determining an individual's overall fitness to drive. Disorders of a periodically incapacitating nature, even in the early stages of development, may warrant disqualification.

Many bus and truck drivers have documented that "nervous trouble" related to neurotic, personality, emotional or adjustment problems is responsible for a significant fraction of their preventable crashes. The degree to which an individual is able to appreciate, evaluate and adequately respond to environmental strain and emotional stress is critical when assessing an individual's mental alertness and flexibility to cope with the stresses of commercial motor vehicle driving.

When examining the driver, it should be kept in mind that individuals who live under chronic emotional upsets may have deeply ingrained maladaptive or erratic behavior patterns. Excessively antagonistic, instinctive, impulsive, openly aggressive, paranoid or severely depressed behavior greatly interfere with the driver's ability to drive safely. Those individuals who are highly susceptible to frequent states of emotional instability (schizophrenia, affective psychoses, paranoia, anxiety or depressive neurosis) may warrant disqualification.

Careful consideration should be given to the side effects and interactions of medications in the overall qualification determination. See Psychiatric Conference Report for specific recommendations on the use of these medications and potential hazards for driving.

See Conference on Psychiatric Disorders and Commercial Drivers at: http://www.fmcsa.dot/rulesregs/medreports.htm
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...on/medical.htm

Quote:
WHAT DRUG USE IS PROHIBITED?

The drug rules prohibit any unauthorized use of the controlled substances. Illicit use of drugs by safety-sensitive drivers is prohibited on or off duty. The FMCSA has some additional rules that prohibit the use of legally prescribed controlled substances (such as barbiturates, amphetamines, morphine, etc.) by safety-sensitive drivers involved in interstate commerce.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...engtesting.htm

I can't find a list, but based on what I CAN find you should be fine with basic anti depressants...

marinol... not so much lol
Old 07-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choperbob
somewhere i saw a list of DOT prohibited meds. recently trazadone has been prohibited. the list was quite extensive.
More than likely the list you seen was the one from Schneider or USXpress, both of which have been circulating around the net for quite some time.