User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

This will be interesting for you and will demonstrate why I think the way I do. Im going to copy and paste the last 10 reason codes why drivers Ive hired have left in the last week or so.
1.Termination Reason: Failed drug / alcohol test
2.Termination Reason: Declined - Other <dont know why he quit, havent looked it up yet.
3. Termination Reason: Violation of Rules
4. Termination Reason: Min Req-Moving Violations-MVR
5. Termination Reason: Family Reasons/Domestic Oblig
6. Termination Reason: Pay
7. Termination Reason: Violation of Rules
8. Termination Reason: Failure to Meet DOT Standards - JBH
9. Termination Reason: MVR- Accident.
10. Termination Reason: Declined - Other < this driver was moving out of the country.

10 drivers left
4 out of 10 quit.
1 quit because of pay. Honestly we dont known if he just didnt work hard or it was the company.
1 quit for reasons we dont know at this time.
So when you start talking about turnover rate, if I dont hire 10 drivers in that time frame ( which I didnt....#^#%@$% drug test failers)...I have over a 100 turnover rate. Over 100% turnover rate looks bad on paper, especially when you assume that its all drivers quiting. Reality: 40% of those drivers quit and only 10-20% quit for what might or might not be valid gripes.
Side statistic. 99% of those drivers who were fired will blame the company or me the recruiter.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
This will be interesting for you and will demonstrate why I think the way I do. Im going to copy and paste the last 10 reason codes why drivers Ive hired have left in the last week or so.
1.Termination Reason: Failed drug / alcohol test
2.Termination Reason: Declined - Other <dont know why he quit, havent looked it up yet.
3. Termination Reason: Violation of Rules
4. Termination Reason: Min Req-Moving Violations-MVR
5. Termination Reason: Family Reasons/Domestic Oblig
6. Termination Reason: Pay
7. Termination Reason: Violation of Rules
8. Termination Reason: Failure to Meet DOT Standards - JBH
9. Termination Reason: MVR- Accident.
10. Termination Reason: Declined - Other < this driver was moving out of the country.

10 drivers left
4 out of 10 quit.
1 quit because of pay. Honestly we dont known if he just didnt work hard or it was the company.
1 quit for reasons we dont know at this time.
So when you start talking about turnover rate, if I dont hire 10 drivers in that time frame ( which I didnt....#^#%@$% drug test failers)...I have over a 100 turnover rate. Over 100% turnover rate looks bad on paper, especially when you assume that its all drivers quiting. Reality: 40% of those drivers quit and only 10-20% quit for what might or might not be valid gripes.
Side statistic. 99% of those drivers who were fired will blame the company or me the recruiter.

Drivers need to be prescreened BEFORE they get the Ok to come to orientation. From what I have been hearing J.B. flunt doesn;t even do a background check before approving drivers for orientation.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:52 AM
Board Regular

True, drivers should be screened prior to traveling hundreds of miles to orientation. But, I do understand why some companies don't do complete checks prior to orientation.

Most drivers will send in applications to 3 or more companies and then select the comapny with the best offer. So you end up with 3 recruiters spending time and money doing background checks and the driver can only drive one truck. The other 2 recruiters are just spinning there wheels.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:04 AM
Anonymous
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Truck drivers have a union. It is called the Teamsters.
In fla you have Police Fire and Teachers unions. Fla is a right to work state Republicans control the house senate and Gov. In otherwords workers dont have any rights
Old 05-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Anonymous

Thanks for the replys Hey Sheep you sure your just dancin with those sheepLOL. Fiqured your answer was from a goose steppin Conservative. But for your info I guess you never broke the law, never cheated on your taxes or bought somthing that was stolen and never used an illegal drug. The states attorney defines a withhold as the "Judge witholds the judgement of Guilt or Conviction in a case" In other words gives someone a second chance, and yes its used often that like recruiters they just want to move the bodies along. But I told my recruiter word for word of my arrest and outcome and they still brought me to orientation. Now it turns out Werner got bad info from USIS and that is being fixed. But to run someone to 272.25 hrs of a needed 275, is criminal. And I dont thank they will respond when USIS sends them a letter stating I was never convicted of anything. Werner has one of the highest rate of drivers leaving in the business I think. Why didnt they look at the court papers I sent them proving I didnt falsify my app
Old 05-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Drivers need to be prescreened BEFORE they get the Ok to come to orientation. From what I have been hearing J.B. flunt doesn;t even do a background check before approving drivers for orientation.
No we will prescreen before a driver gets to orientation. Its actually pretty simple to do it that way. I tell the driver he has to find a fax machine, I will fax him a form, he will sign it, fax it back and we will run his stuff before orientation. If he doesnt do that, he will sign the form at orientation and we will run it then....ITS HIS or HER CHOICE. How hard is it to find a fax machine? Obviously many think its reallly hard because only about 1/2 of my drivers actually sign it before.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Fiqured your answer was from a goose steppin Conservative. But for your info I guess you never broke the law
I have never been arrested, I have had about 3 traffic tickets in my life....does that count?
Quote:
never cheated on your taxes
NO

Quote:
bought somthing that was stolen
No....that is as bad as stealing it.

Quote:
never used an illegal drug.
Nope never....I have never needed to be high to enjoy life.

Quote:
The states attorney defines a withhold as the "Judge witholds the judgement of Guilt or Conviction in a case" In other words gives someone a second chance
Sorry, i was just telling you that many employers our going to count that as a conviction. And that in many states you cant get a concieled handgun permit with an adjuticated charge. Ive held concieled carry permits in 3 states. VA, TEXAS and ARKANSAS. Virginia, will NOT issue a permit to anyone with an adjudicated charge. Until a couple of years ago, Texas wouldnt allow a permit with an Adjudicated charge, now they do. Arkansas allows permits on a adjudicate charge on a case by case basis.
As far as companies denying employment for an adjuticaded charge, it happens...... Its not my rule as a recruiter, I dont make policies, I just have to go by them.
Quote:
But to run someone to 272.25 hrs of a needed 275, is criminal.
if its criminal...procecute them. I think you should.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 AM
Rookie
Default sheepdancer \ orientatin

Sheepdancer, I was reading these post from you guys that are from last year. But, I'm sure this question still applies. So, when we're waitin to be sent to orientation they haven't done the necessary background information yet? I thought they were doing that while the new potential hire is waiting. And you being a recuiter and all probably will know this; when are newbies officially hired? When called to attend orientation, or once we are with the trainer? My recuiter didn't give me much to go on. And I have gotten their voicemail like three times. So I decided to waite it out. They said a few weeks. Whatever!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:10 AM
Board Regular

I don't think sheepdancer posts here much anymore. I know he's not with JB Hunt any longer.

Heard from my recruiter today. He says my file is with security, so I imagine they're doing the background check now. If not...wtf am I doing sitting around twiddling my thumbs?

I don't think most companies count you as 'hired' until you are in your own truck. Until then, you are just in training.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Quote:
No we will prescreen before a driver gets to orientation. Its actually pretty simple to do it that way. I tell the driver he has to find a fax machine, I will fax him a form, he will sign it, fax it back and we will run his stuff before orientation. If he doesnt do that, he will sign the form at orientation and we will run it then....ITS HIS or HER CHOICE. How hard is it to find a fax machine? Obviously many think its reallly hard because only about 1/2 of my drivers actually sign it before.
Sounds like your company was running behind a little on his background check.