User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How long do your batteries last?

This is a total rookie question...lol. How long do the batteries usually last in these rigs when running something such as a TV. Do you normally fire it up every so often or are the batteries pretty strong?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: How long do your batteries last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
This is a total rookie question...lol. How long do the batteries usually last in these rigs when running something such as a TV. Do you normally fire it up every so often or are the batteries pretty strong?
I can get about 8 or 9 hours out of my batteries before I have to start the truck when running my TV and DVD player. I'm using my inverter to run my TV (120V only). I also have Optima batteries. The batteries are going to make the ultimate difference.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: How long do your batteries last?

Quote:
Like Rev said, the type of batteries is important. There are also other variables. Check out the below link and see if it helps you out any.

http://roadtrucker.com/product-info....y_Battery_Last
Old 03-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Never .. Never .. Never fire up a high amperage device like a microwave (boosting 12 VDC to 120 AC and keep the same current takes amps) without the truck running. The instant amperage pull will drain the battery .. Also 'fridges can drain the battery pretty quick. Pizza Toasters .. you get the picture
Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member

I use a portable DVD player with a 4 hour battery and the TV is 12 volt that can be purchased at any pawnshop for the 1/3 the price that a TS charges.

When I drive I charge the DVD player and when I stop I just plug it in to the TV. I'm usually too tired to stay up long enough to drain the batteries.
An hour or two to just relax then its lights out.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Board Regular

The TV probably wont be on for more than an hour or so, and I can run the laptop off the battery when the truck isn't running. How about these 12v coolers? Does anyone run theirs 24/7 or do you just use ice in it? That's the only item I think I would consider leaving hooked up, unless I'm instructed otherwise.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
The TV probably wont be on for more than an hour or so, and I can run the laptop off the battery when the truck isn't running. How about these 12v coolers? Does anyone run theirs 24/7 or do you just use ice in it? That's the only item I think I would consider leaving hooked up, unless I'm instructed otherwise.
I have a 12 volt cooler, I leave it plugged in 24/7. I have left the truck shut down as long as 24 hours and not noticed any decrease in starting power. If I am home for he weekend I will take all the food that will spoil and put in the home frig and shut off the 12 volt one, that is about the only time I unplug it unless it freezes up which it does occasionally during cold weather. Then I only unplug it long enough to defrost the ice off the fan.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
It starts with the TV being on for only an hour.... :roll:

I run a 12 volt cooler, plugged in 24/7. Except weekends as explained above. Summer time creates issues, most 12 volt coolers will only cool 30' or so below ambient temp.

Basically what this means is if it's 80 in the truck during the summer, you'd be lucky to keep the cooler temp @ 50' or so. Not really cold enough to keep the milk from chunkin up.

I run a 1200 watt inverter. it will push 800 cont. Run my microwave, TV, xbox, notebook charger, and other misc chargers. Not all at once mind you. I've haven't tried to watch TV, and heat something in the microwave at the same time. Don't want to. (though from what the manual states, I could, for about 10 minutes, before the inverter went into thermal shutdown, and I killed the batts)

I do how ever run the microwave, and or TV with the ruck not running without running into any problems with the batteries draining. (ONLY USING ONE DEVICE IE: MICRO/TV/ETC) Though I've never had to use the microwave for more then 5 minutes or so.. come to think about it.. when was the last time anyone used their microwave for longer then 5 minutes lol.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:23 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by serbie
come to think about it.. when was the last time anyone used their microwave for longer then 5 minutes lol.
Pending on what your fixing.. What I like to fix in the microwave takes about 10 to 12 minutes. Beats 1 hour in the oven.. Bake Tator But your not going to have an Oven in your truck of course..

In my last truck my cooler would kill the battery nothing flat., But the qual comm also killed the battery.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:43 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I was just told that running your batteries down then starting the engine to charge them back up takes a real toll on your alternator. Running your inverter and the engine at the same time with some high wattage things going also causes your alternator to work hard.

I had my engine running, a small ceramic 750 watt heater going and a few other small things and my alternator was RED hot. It burned up a few days later and had to be replaced.

I don't know if the mechanic was correct on this issue, just repeating what he said.

I have 4 Optima Yellow Top batteries and I was running the truck off them for 3 days without knowing the alternator was pretty much dead. They recovered every night but on the last day went down to 11.4 volts and the alternator had to be replaced.