User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default "with own authority"

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly does that mean? My idea, is that its an O/O that can haul for anyone/anything. Is this correct?

Adapt and overcome.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

"Own Authority" refers to FMCSA Motor Carrier authority. You are a trucking company. Like Schneider, only maybe smaller. You do not need to own any equipment and you can haul for anyone you wish - long as it's legal. You could even hire a bunch of Owner Operators to work for you.

Owner/Operators do not necessarily have their own authority. They usually operate under someone else's authority.
http://www.evilsizor.info/
Old 03-17-2007, 03:42 AM
Senior Board Member

But you also need authority to haul a certain commodity, such as household goods.

I believe there is a difference between brokerage authority and operating authority?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:35 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

O/O works for a company and is leased onto them using there authority and insurance

Having your own authority means you have your own MC number and insurance and can go wherever the hell you want and work for yourself.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: "with own authority"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly does that mean? My idea, is that its an O/O that can haul for anyone/anything. Is this correct?

Not exactly. Some commodities may require additional permits or licensing, such as hazmat. For the most part, you can haul pretty much anything as long as you have motor carrier authority. In order to haul freight commercially, you must have motor carrier authority. There are two types of motor carrier authority, interstate issued by the Federal government, and intrastate, which is issued by some states. Not all states require or have their own intrastate authority. Interstate authority is for pick up and delivery within the same state. Federal authority is for carrying freight across state lines.