User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 04:28 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pulled over just to verify logs?

Has anyone been pulled over just to have their logs verified? No speeding, no obvious problems, just officer wanting to check logs? If so, how common is this?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:49 AM
Senior Board Member

i've had it happen 2 times (1) 4 years ago I-55 in IL at 0215 i was the only truck going north at the time, (1) 3 years ago I-44 in MO at 1030 dot had 5 pick-ups pulling 5 trucks over at a time.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:01 AM
Board Regular

Yes I had it done a few months ago. Out on a state road in Nebraska. Came over a hill and saw troopers waving drivers over in both directions. They asked for my log book, checked my paperwork and truck ID. Said thanks and let me go. No weighing or anything like that. Only time in 6 years I've had that done. Drive safe everyone.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:04 AM
Board Regular

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. Always coming across something new around here I wasn't sure if it was just a local check set up or something common as we hadn't run across it before here, also they do level 2 inspections right there while checking logs on some of them.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Board Regular

I was going north on I 85 through NC and a NC DMV pulled me over and checked paperwork. I was doing a little over the speed limit so I figured I was going to get a speeding ticket. But when he came to the door he said I was not speeding, just checking paper work randomly. As he let me go another truck passed us with a light out. He went after him. I yelled at the driver what the DMV said to me, but also let him know about his light.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Senior Board Member

I had a Maryland DOT do that a couple years ago. He literally stepped out in the road in front of me. Guess he wanted to do a brake test as well.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I had a Maryland DOT do that a couple years ago. He literally stepped out in the road in front of me. Guess he wanted to do a brake test as well.
I've had a NH state police office do that to me as well. But I was speeding on my motorcycle and thankfully my brakes were working.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Default Roadside Check

I took an exit ramp in Ohio, turned onto the two-lane and went under the viaduct. Just beyond the viaduct, a trooper had a saw-horse with a sign: "Truck Inspection". Generally, I stayed one entry behind in my logs, and always used a ruler to be neat. He asked for my log book. As I reached for my log, I scribbled a line in it. He asked, "Did you just make that last entry?" I said, "Yes, Sir." He said, "Don't let me ever catch you doing that again!" And I was on my way.

On another day, I pulled my steer axle onto the small scale, U.S. 41, Gurnee, IL. Obviously, I was driving for a private carrier going to Milwaukee for another load of beer. A state trooper hustled out of the coop and stepped onto my running board asking for my log book. He thought he caught one this time. He seemed disappointed after a glance at my neat, up-to-date log.

Then there was the day in Ontario when they took my log book into a back room. Several times they asked me when was my last time in Ontario, etc. They were trying to prove that my employer was not paying sufficient fuel tax. I told them that we make about one trip per month, and their LaBatts is simply not that popular in the states.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Senior Board Member

When you say "pulled over" I will assume that you mean a traffic stop. Police cannot just make arbitrary and random traffic stops. They have to have probable cause to pull you over off a highway. However, if you are in a Commercial Motor Vehicle an officer can ask you for the standard fare:

1. Log Book
2. Registration
3. Proof of Insurance (in states)
4. Bill of Lading
4. Your commercial drivers ....
5. Your Physical.
6. Any state specfic permits / authorizations.

Now, State DOT officers set up impromptu inspections. This is what you are seeing in the thread. Especially during a Nationally advertised safety week.

My experience with these have been in the rest stops in Arizona and California on some degree of occasion. (See previous postings about using Rest Stops as Inspection Stations) Nevada has inspection stations and occasionally opens for business. Every single truck is inspected for the above, and then randomly certain trucks are Level I or Level II inspected. Also .. drivers without the proper paperwork in order . like log books are also further inspected.

Wyoming has Port of Entries and toward October and November the State Troopers have to get their yearly quota of inspections. They like to do Level III inspections. That is Log Book, Bill of Lading, Registration, Trailer Registration , IFTA, License, physical. Jus tbecause they ask you to come in with your paperwork does nto mean you are getting a ticket. In fact, you might be getting a Level III inspection.

In states like Oregon and NY this includes Fuel permits.

The above discusses a random inspection out of the blue ...Certain companies get pulled into the inspection station because of safety concerns. So, if you work for those comapnies .. have your log books up to date.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Got pulled over on I-20 east near Weatherford, Tx. Trooper said my mudflaps were less than 8" off the ground. He asked for my logbook which was always current. No problems with the logbook and he never mentioned the mudflaps, guess because he knew it was an excuse to pull me over. After he left I pulled out a ruler and measeured my mudflaps, sure enought they were within specs, oh well.