Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for grain hauling job !

Cntrygrl22 is offline Rookie

Default Looking for grain hauling job !

I'm new the industry and just trying to look anywhere I can for a grain hauling job in the midwest, like MN or WI. Any help that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks !

yoopr is offline Board Icon

I don't remember the names of the trucking outfits but there's alot of hauling, during season, to the packing plants in Green Bay, Manitowoc, and some other towns in Wi.

Biggest canners are Lakeside Foods Inc., Lodi Canning., and Del Monte Foods.

Rev.Vassago is offline Guest Board Icon

Default Re: Looking for grain hauling job !

Quote Originally Posted by Cntrygrl22
    I'm new the industry and just trying to look anywhere I can for a grain hauling job in the midwest, like MN or WI. Any help that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks !
    I used to do grain hauling in that area a few years ago. There are quite a few of them around the DePere area and south. I used to run for Fox Valley Alfalfa Mill out of Hilbert, WI. Not the greatest company to run for, but they maintain their trucks very well. I wish I could remember some of the names of carriers, but I am drawing an absolute blank (I finally succeeded in forgetting that part of my life :lol: ).

You do realize how much work pulling a hopper bottom is, don't you? It isn't all just hauling grain around. Some of the garbage they put in those trailers is darn near impossible to get out. Nothing like standing on top of a load of Corn Gluten Pellets that you load at ADM in Cedar Rapids that were 120 degrees when they went in the trailer, and have turned into a rock because it is only 15 degrees outside. Darn messy work, too.

Kranky is offline Senior Board Member

Bowers Feed & Grain in Wrightstown & Olsens Crop Service near Oshkosh are 2 that come to mind.
    If you can't shift it smoothly, you shouldn't be driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Splitshifter
    Bowers Feed & Grain in Wrightstown & Olsens Crop Service near Oshkosh are 2 that come to mind.
    I used to deliver to both of those places!

Bowers is a crappy hole in the wall. :lol:

yoopr is offline Board Icon

I've pulled either jars or cans, forget which, to a packing outfit north of Madison and I want to say Poynette(?). either way the town started with a P :P

fetterski is offline Rookie

I think if you were smart you would forget about the grain business 8) and do Expediting for FedEx

Hwyfly is offline Member

Cntrygrl22,

Here is two websites from Minnesota.

www.ajb.com, and www1.mnworks.org

I have seen some grain hauling jobs in S.W. Mn. Some companies haul grain for 7 mos., and pull belly dumps for the summer months!

Good Luck!
    Hwyfly
    --------

redsfan is offline Senior Board Member

I you wanted to relocate to Ohio (still part of the Midwest although barely, we are slowly progressing into the Northeast) I know of a place where you could get setup with a local grain hauling gig.

The pros: $18/hr, cash on anything over 40, you'll sleep in your own bed at night, new equipment (05 & 06 Pete 379 and KW T800).

The cons: No bennies, that nightly sleep might be 4-5 hours a lot of nights, driving a Pete ( :P j/k just a little shot at the Pete lovers out there...), very long hours (most in this industry have never heard of the 14 hour rule or they just don't care), you are always overweight (usually 90K-100K+), and as Rev said the freight doesn't always flow like it should out of the hopper. The gluten pellets can harden, distillers darn near turns to molasses if there's any moisture in it and bean meal will turn to glue under the same circumstances. Some of these ingredients would make an excellent adhesive for the folks at NASA. Also, try spending a few moments outside your truck when something like dicalcium phosphate is being loaded. It'll make your lungs feel you just smoked four packs of cigs one after the other and it lingers for days.

Another plus might be that a lot of the times grain hoppers are usually shorter and easier to manuever. Then again try taking any type of combination into your average barnlot that is barely big enough for a straight truck and you'll have your backing and manuevering skills down in no time.

It can be OK and you might make a little money, but another option is that you could pull a rock bucket. In most cases you'll enjoy the same long hours, little sleep and overweight tickets that you'll get with a grain hopper, but usually your freight will flow a little more freely. Plus you'll still have the option to haul grain during the harvest season as most rock buckets are dual purpose in this area.
    The opinions expressed are those of the author's only. They do not represent the views of CAD or of the other members of CAD...

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan
    The gluten pellets can harden, distillers darn near turns to molasses if there's any moisture in it and bean meal will turn to glue under the same circumstances.
    Dark DDG = Bad. Light DDG = Good :lol:

Some of these ingredients would make an excellent adhesive for the folks at NASA. Also, try spending a few moments outside your truck when something like dicalcium phosphate is being loaded.
    I've seen many an elevator get stuck on a load of DiCal (but never by me - honest).

It'll make your lungs feel you just smoked four packs of cigs one after the other and it lingers for days.
    When I was doing grain hauling, I would go through an Albuterol inhaler ONCE A WEEK. Now, I go through one every year and a half or so.

Another plus might be that a lot of the times grain hoppers are usually shorter and easier to manuever. Then again try taking any type of combination into your average barnlot that is barely big enough for a straight truck and you'll have your backing and manuevering skills down in no time.
    I found that pulling a grain wagon made it much easier to pull a 53 footer. Gotta love those tandems being right at the tail end!

I thought of some more fun ones:

Meat and Bone meal (aka powdered pigs)
    Blood meal (lots of fun in the summer when it is humid)
    Ammonium Sulfate (nasty smelling fertilizer - never wants to flow in humid weather)
    Fish Meal (stinky, greasy, nasty)
    Whey (like plaster)
    Sprouts (basically just dust)
    Alfalfa Meal (a giant green clout of nastiness)

redsfan is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
    The gluten pellets can harden, distillers darn near turns to molasses if there's any moisture in it and bean meal will turn to glue under the same circumstances.
    Dark DDG = Bad. Light DDG = Good :lol:

Some of these ingredients would make an excellent adhesive for the folks at NASA. Also, try spending a few moments outside your truck when something like dicalcium phosphate is being loaded.
    I've seen many an elevator get stuck on a load of DiCal (but never by me - honest).

It'll make your lungs feel you just smoked four packs of cigs one after the other and it lingers for days.
    When I was doing grain hauling, I would go through an Albuterol inhaler ONCE A WEEK. Now, I go through one every year and a half or so.

I found that pulling a grain wagon made it much easier to pull a 53 footer. Gotta love those tandems being right at the tail end!

I thought of some more fun ones:

Meat and Bone meal (aka powdered pigs)
    Blood meal (lots of fun in the summer when it is humid)
    Ammonium Sulfate (nasty smelling fertilizer - never wants to flow in humid weather)
    Fish Meal (stinky, greasy, nasty)
    Whey (like plaster)
    Sprouts (basically just dust)
    Alfalfa Meal (a giant green clout of nastiness)

Ditto, ditto and ditto.

That DiCal will jam things up in a heartbeat. And blood meal & fish meal are just plain nasty any time of the year in my book.

Gee, I hope our getting slightly off topic hasn't scared away the OP. Honestly, it's not a totally bad gig, you could do much worse.
    The opinions expressed are those of the author's only. They do not represent the views of CAD or of the other members of CAD...

newolddrv is offline Rookie

Default Grain hauling

You can have my last job. The farmer I drove for is looking for a driver. He's all p.o.ed at me 'cause I told him I'm going otr. He let me use his rig to get my cdl and I worked for him 2 years after that and now he thinks ill of me. :roll: Oh well! I can't live on starvation wages and 3 months work a year.

Gee, I hope our getting slightly off topic hasn't scared away the OP. Honestly, it's not a totally bad gig, you could do much worse.
    I did it for six years. It's hard work, but the hometime is better than OTR.

emerlin is offline Member

I know Schutt (I think that's how it's spelled) Farms is advertising. They are in a small town north of Sioux Falls, SD. I'll get you more info when the wheels stop turning if I still have it.

Jackrabbit379 is offline Board Icon

The only outfits that I know of, are around here. Dont know anyone up north. I do know that there is an Autumn from somewhere up there, but they are an owner operator company,

Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
    The only outfits that I know of, are around here. Dont know anyone up north. I do know that there is an Autumn from somewhere up there, but they are an owner operator company,
    I believe Autumn transport is based out of the Minneapolis area. They pay pretty crappy.

Jackrabbit379 is offline Board Icon

Ahh. Well, I have seen the trucks, but couldnt remember where they are out of. Sounds like they pay according to the market price of the grain. :P

WOW !!! THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES !!!! KEEP THE INFO COMING IN !!! I'm really excited about venturing into this industry. MN & WI are my prime areas of interest !!!

You guys are great !!!

Thanks again !

I've seen Foltz trucking out of Detroit Lake, MN & a few others, but I feel that grain hauling is a seperate part of the trucking industry. There different that OTR companies b/c they train you but in the grain hauling business i get the impression if you dont have experience your not getting in unless you call farmer john. Anyone else got 2 cents on that ? Would love feedback !!

emerlin is offline Member

I can't find the info on Schutt Farms. Musta cleaned out my notebook when I got the job with Heyl. Anyhow, I think they are out of Chester, SD. Seem to be a nice bunch, but I think they want some experience.

22. This ad will disappear if you login

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast