User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Training Question

Once you get your licence and graduate from CDL school, I know that you'll be gone with your trainer for like 4 weeks at a time. For the companies that offer home weekends, do you also be out with your trainer from Mon-Fri, and home weekends as well? Or does the home weekends start once you drive on your own?

And which companies offer home weekends? I've read on here that some drivers who are home on weekends will sometimes usually have to get back on the road on 4pm on Sunday. I will not do that. I need the whole weekend off and will not be available to drive again until Monday morning. What will happen if I refuse to get back on the road until early Monday Morning?
Old 02-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, I definitely am not the most knowledgable on the subject here, but we found that in order to look at weekends home generally you will be looking at flatbedding. It seems to be much more common on that side of things.
As far as the training goes, my understanding is you only get home on the weekends if your trainer is close enough to you to get you home while they are on hometime.
As far as getting back on the road early Monday morning most of the flatbedders talk about it being a choice between Sunday night and Monday morning but I'm sure thats not always the case. This industry requires a certain amount of flexibility for "out of the norm" scenerios. My husband will be looking before too long to take something like this that will have him home for church. Is there a particular reason you're so adamant about not leaving out Sunday night if I may ask?
As far as what will happen if you refuse to leave until Monday morning, I would imagine that depends on whether or not waiting to leave would make your load late, as thats the big no no.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Rookie

The reason why I don't want to leave on Sunday is that I am involved in my church pretty much all day on Sunday.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Board Regular

Concerning training with the larger "training" companies (Roehl, Swift, Schneider, etc) they really don't care about trainees and weekends. If you are in training you are out on the road with a trainer for 2-4 weeks. No weekends at home or the "weekends" occur durning the work week. If you feel you need to be home on weekends for church then don't look at OTR life. OTR is just that...on the road. After you pay your dues through training and a bit of time with a company you may be able to cut deals for weekends home. Be flexible and bend a little to get your training done. I am sure that God will find you where ever you are and forgive you for not being at church.

Soladad
Old 02-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Rookie

Thanks Soladad.

I'm thinking about going to Roehl's 7 on / 7 off program. I know that I will be on the road every other Sunday, but that won't be too big of a deal to me since I'll be home every other 7 days. I'd actually rather work for Roehl because the 7/7 thing sounds like it would fit my needs good. I make only from $790 to $860 every 2 weeks now, so I wonder if I can make that much or more in 7 days at Roehl?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:40 AM
Board Regular

I drove 7/7 nation wide fleet during the summer. I had to return to the 11/3 nation wide fleet this fall due to not enough income. I was in the lower pay scale at that time. They say approximately 3000 miles in the 7 days. However, my partner on the 7/7 was a hard runner and it was not unusual for him to get 3500+ miles. Now that I have my one year in with the raise that comes with it, I am considering going to the 7/4-7/3 come summer. Only problem with 7/7 is that you share a truck with another driver. On the 7/4/3 you share 2 trucks with 3 drivers. Always having to move your stuff in and out.

The 7/7 fleet and 7/4/3 fleet is only available in certain areas of the country. Check with Roehl first to see if you are in the right area before you make any plans. Also they like for you to run 11/3 for a bit so that you really learn the system. They also prefer if you run 11/3 while you are in Evol 3 which is developmental board which is usually the 4-6 weeks after you leave your trainer's truck and are in your own truck.

Soladad