User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 02:13 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ensure that fuel tickets match logs

A local company was recently audited by DOT. One of the main areas they looked at were the time stamps on the fuel tickets. Seems drivers watches must have been a bit off, the time stamp on the fuel ticket was say 8:15 am, in El Paso. The Log book showed that they did indeed fill up in El Paso but that was at 3 PM.

Result, $1100 fine. Log Falsification

ONE driver, 19 violations!

Wonder if he still works there?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:21 AM
Senior Board Member

It is not only fuel reciepts/reports you have to worry about, but freight bills, toll reciepts, repair reciepts, etc. Well lets just say anything with a date and/or time record on it.....and this includes your CAT scale tickets.

If you do all of that correctly then all you have to worry about is log auditors who can not tell time and get easily confused about time zones. :roll: :roll:
Old 01-08-2007, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

This shows that the company was not auditing their logs. Its like scaling a load. You can scale at the truckstop for $8.50, DOT will scale it for over $100 depending on how much overweight you are. My point is the carrier could have educated this driver and saved someone over $2000. I have survived a few DOT audits with no fines (knock on wood), but it didnt happen by magic. It happened by crossing all t's and dotting all i's. They dont expect for you to be perfect, but you better be close.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:38 AM
Board Icon

I realize that I have only been driving a bit over a year now, but I have fueled at Petros, Love's, T/A's, Pilots and most other major and some independant Truckstops and not ONE of those tickets has a time stamp on it! (DATES, yes!)

I also scale out at CAT locations whenever possible.... and not ONE of THOSE tickets has a time stamp on it!

MOST receivers never timestamp my BOL's. However, MANY shippers (who use computers) DO!

Sometimes, I have to wonder if SOME of y'all who are giving out this information, are ACTUALLY driving trucks for a living! :shock: :roll:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I realize that I have only been driving a bit over a year now, but I have fueled at Petros, Love's, T/A's, Pilots and most other major and some independant Truckstops and not ONE of those tickets has a time stamp on it! (DATES, yes!)
If you use Comdata or other fuel cards, the reports that your company gets have the date, time, location, etc on the report every time you use that card to make a purchase.

Quote:
I also scale out at CAT locations whenever possible.... and not ONE of THOSE tickets has a time stamp on it!
In the lower left hand corner of the ticket there is what looks like a code (it is a black box on the copy). It is the date and time you scaled. Look at it closely. It is written half azzed backwards, but it is there. I drove for almost 3 years before someone pointed it out to me one time. Once you know what to look for it is easy to spot.

I do not remember if Interstate and/or Flying J scales time stamp their scale tickets or not, but I promise you CAT does.

Quote:
MOST receivers never timestamp my BOL's. However, MANY shippers (who use computers) DO!
It does not matter how many shippers or recievers do it. If it is there from even one you should worry about it.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
I realize that I have only been driving a bit over a year now, but I have fueled at Petros, Love's, T/A's, Pilots and most other major and some independent Truck stops and not ONE of those tickets has a time stamp on it! (DATES, yes!)

MOST receivers never time stamp my BOL's. However, MANY shippers (who use computers) DO!

Sometimes, I have to wonder if SOME of y'all who are giving out this information, are ACTUALLY driving trucks for a living! :shock: :roll:
Hi, Golf!!

Good to hear from you!!

I don't know if something has changed since I came off the road, or if perhaps your company had a different arrangement with the different truck-stop chains than the company that I drove for had.

When I drove OTR a few years back, our fuel tickets were time stamped, and that information could also be traced via Com-Data cards. Now, we had an extremely limited fuel network; about the only places we could fuel were Pilots, (and not even all of them were in our network!!), some Luv's, and a few independent truck stops.

All of my fuel tickets did have time/dates on them.

If time was an issue, I would scale out at The Flyin' Hook, because their scale tickets did not have a time stamped on them.

Hope all's going well for you, have a terrific 2007!!

Peace,
Useless
Old 01-08-2007, 03:00 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
If you use Comdata or other fuel cards, the reports that your company gets have the date, time, location, etc on the report every time you use that card to make a purchase.

I can't argue that the reports they get, IF they get them, from these companies might have such info. However, it is NOT on the fuel receipts that I get and turn into them... and such is what they TELL me is subject to any audit. I don't believe they GET, KEEP, or are required to PRODUCE any such "reports."

Quote:
In the lower left hand corner of the ticket there is what looks like a code (it is a black box on the copy). It is the date and time you scaled. Look at it closely. It is written half azzed backwards, but it is there. I drove for almost 3 years before someone pointed it out to me one time. Once you know what to look for it is easy to spot.

Yes, I see that box now. However, I doubt seriously if MY company chooses to retain the top copy. The second copy is unreadable. I wonder why that is?? I will check with them tomorrow to see if I can "discard" the top copy. :wink: [and THANKS!]

I do not remember if Interstate and/or Flying J scales time stamp their scale tickets or not, but I promise you CAT does.

Quote:
It does not matter how many shippers or recievers do it. If it is there from even one you should worry about it.

Oh yes.... I agree! I HATE it when they do it! But, IF they DO, I ALWAYS color my logbook "around" those times! I even "blow" a few extra minutes on line 4 occaisionally, JUST to look legal! But, in over a year.... I have had exactly ONE trip that was time stamped at BOTH ends!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:02 AM
Senior Board Member

The bottom copy is not really unreadable. If you take one of those "trick" reading lenses like you see on some cereal boxes for kids it can still be read.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:03 AM
Senior Board Member

I asked my log lady about that and she said the only thing that needs to match up is fuel stops. And only within 30 minutes. That's a bit restrictive, but at least my tolls and such don't have to match up, otherwise I'd be screwed.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Oh yeah, BTW. New regs require carriers to keep and maintain these type of reciepts/reports for a specific amount of time now. Those went into effect about a year ago I think.