User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey "Back on the road" How did they handle your training? How much class room and how much with a trainer on the road? Are you gonna have to do the full six weeks with a trainer?
Old 12-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstern
Thanks "Back on the Road"

What would a new driver make at TMC in the first year for all the extra work in flatbedding?
That would depend on several factors. Such as what division you are in. Long Haul, Line Haul or Dedicated. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Generally speaking, the more you run the more you make, giving the advantage to Long Haul. Other considerations are how clean do you keep your truck, did you have a safe month, years of service, extra training, miles per gallon, out of route miles and how much did your truck make. Some loads pay more than others. Some truck get better mileage per gallon. Long Haul has a better chance of getting 32%, Line Haul seems to get 27% to 28%. There are always exceptions. These are just a few things that effect your pay.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Default Line vs Long

Correct me if I wrong, but if you choose to do Line Haul I think the option is still there to do Long Haul. So wouldn't you still be up there in % wise? I think the best scenario would be to be a Line driver doing Long Haul then still have the ability to be routed back home when needed. I understand that if you drive Long Haul you have no option to drive Line. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :roll:
Old 12-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Thanks "Back on the Road"

What would a new driver make at TMC in the first year for all the extra work in flatbedding?
My husband works line haul and makes an average of $895 a week which will go up because some of that time he was at the starting percentage. He has been at 28% for a few mos now. So that comes out to $46,500 a year with that average.
Bethany age 1 1/2
Old 12-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Default TMC Info

Ok,

I will try and answere the questions to the best of my current knowledge with Tmc.

I did a 10 day orientation at the South Columbia terminal. (I have been to Des Moines with my Trainer while running the road and that facility is state of the art compared to Columbia), anyhow, there was classroom work along with skills pad and road tests. I felt like I was back at trucking school however, that is the way TMC operates, and probably for good reason.

Your pay at orientation is 300 per week, it goes to 350 per when with a trainer, then once assigned your own truck it will be 650 per week minimum for 4 weeks, of course you can make more. I elected to get paid percentage so I will start at 23 percent of the weekly gross to the truck. After the first month, Tmc will look at your performance, snapshot if you will and your pay could be raised accordingly. Like one poster commented, there are several factors that could raise your percentage.

My trainer claims to be at 31 percent. I have no reason to dis-believe him, he also has stated he grossed 74k last year and on track to gross 70k this year. He runs hard, delivers on time, and is moving to the next shipper to load. After running with him for the last 4 weeks, I believe it. I will be testing out after week 5 for those that asked. ''I guess that means I'm doing ok,,, No really, I am an ex driver and I expect more from myself than TMC has asked for, so I am my biggest critique.

Now, there are more guys on here that know a lot more about TMC than I, i.e, Flat-bed Fred, so there is lots of info regarding TMC here. I enjoy flat-bedding and I expect to gross atleast 50k my first year, hopefully more. I have elected ''linehaul'' although my trainer and I have been out more than 2 weeks since I have been running with him. TMC has stated to me that they can guarantee me home 46 weekends out of 52. If I could, I would be home more,,, Well, lets just say I have more of a life than trucking, I guess we all do for the most part,,,, I.e, like boating and fishing, if you know what i mean.. Oops, back to Tmc. Hope this answeres some questions. ..and thanks Flat-bed Fred, you answered lots of mine !
Joe
Old 12-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Line vs Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltBound
Correct me if I wrong, but if you choose to do Line Haul I think the option is still there to do Long Haul. So wouldn't you still be up there in % wise? I think the best scenario would be to be a Line driver doing Long Haul then still have the ability to be routed back home when needed. I understand that if you drive Long Haul you have no option to drive Line. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :roll:
If you are Line Haul you certainly have the option to do a Long Haul run over the weekend. You will still have Line Haul runs during the week. One problem is when you take that Long Haul run on Friday it will mess you up on your Line Haul runs that coming week, you do have to get back after all. If you are Long Haul, you will spend more time driving, you will have more drop and hook and you will have less tarping, you still may have to tarp every load, but because you do fewer, but longer runs it works out to be less.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richey94
My husband works line haul and makes an average of $895 a week which will go up because some of that time he was at the starting percentage. He has been at 28% for a few mos now. So that comes out to $46,500 a year with that average.
Crete's first year drivers make $45k - $48k,(I was told) Do you think your husband will make closer to $55k? I'm just asking because of all the extra work that is involved with flatbedding.

I'm trying to decide on Crete or TMC, What company would be best for my family and me. I know flatbedding is more work but if it pays more then that would be worth it the extra work involved with flatbedding. I'm going crazy trying to decide..

Also does anyone know what the co-payment for the health insurance with TMC is? or if there is anywhere on the web to view the health insurance info for TMC? Crete's insurance does not look that great (Deductible is $1500.00 first then a co-pay of 20%)
Thanks again for any help
Old 12-30-2006, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richey94
Crete's first year drivers make $45k - $48k,(I was told) Do you think your husband will make closer to $55k? I'm just asking because of all the extra work that is involved with flatbedding.

I'm trying to decide on Crete or TMC, What company would be best for my family and me. I know flatbedding is more work but if it pays more then that would be worth it the extra work involved with flatbedding. I'm going crazy trying to decide..

Also does anyone know what the co-payment for the health insurance with TMC is? or if there is anywhere on the web to view the health insurance info for TMC? Crete's insurance does not look that great (Deductible is $1500.00 first then a co-pay of 20%)
Thanks again for any help

First of all, I just went through what you're going through . . . trying to decide between two companies. So while not a driver, I can try to give you some advice from that perspective.

Stop "going crazy trying to decide."

The decision will be easy once you have the right facts. If you can't decide right now, it's because you don't yet have the right facts.

What are the "right facts?"

Well, they're different for everybody. They depend on your personal criteria.

You're actually in pretty good shape if you're trying to choose between two. Be glad.

Make a list of what's important to you and your family. Try to prioritize it. Keep going back to that list because it will change over time. It should. Let it change. It will change as you think more about driving and "see" different things.

Also, try to change where you think about driving and where you and your family discuss it. If that's normally in the living room, for example, try going for a walk in the park and talk about it there. Or go walk through a Wal Mart and talk about it. Changing location also helps you "see."

Try building a data base of information about the two companies. Start with your questions about medical care. Call up the recruiters and ask them plenty of questions. Do the same for Pay, Education, Rider Policy, Home Time, etc , etc . . . whatever is important.

PM posters here . . . I PMd over 20 people while researching companies and trying to pick one.

Forget about trying to "decide" right now . . . just focus on learning the most you can about what you want and what those companies will offer.

Believe me, if you do that, the right choice (for you) will pop up and will be obvious once it does. Whatever you do, avoid adding extra pressure by "going crazy trying to decide." Relax. It will happen. You'll make the right choice when the time is right.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:11 AM
Board Regular

Well, I have just over two years of driving experience and have been driving for Crete for about seven and a half months making their minimum pay per mile. Now, I only averaged around 10,200 miles a month for my first six months, which is just above the minimum miles per month Crete expects their drivers to run and have done about the same if not less the last month and a half due to being home for the holidays and such. I don't kill myself working in other words, but could run more miles if I wanted to. Now, from mid May to September first I was only making .38 cpm then with the raise went to .41 cpm. I have grossed $30,000 since hiring on with Crete. I fully expect to gross between $55,000 and $60,000 for 2007. The amount of drop and hook I do here is just plain silly and I've yet to fingerprint a load. Hell, I can count the number of comchecks I've had to write lumpers on one hand! Needless to say, I'm very pleased with Crete. Hope that helps and good luck.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:30 AM
Rookie

Does any TMC employees know what your medical coverage terms are? Is it just a small co-pay at a in-network doctors office?

I may be wrong with this but I think with Crete's medical insurance I must pay the deductible first then 20% co-pay(mine would be $1500.00 deductible per year then 20% co-pay ) I would also need to pay $245.00 a month for this insurance. I would be paying a total of $4440.00($245.00 x 12 months=$2940.00+$1500.00 deductible =$4440.00) a year.