Thread: The 14-hour rule...

tbrown is offline Member

Default The 14-hour rule...

If a driver begins driving at 0700, per the 14-hour rule, do they automatically have to stop driving at 2100? Does the rule basically mean that you can't drive 14 hours after coming on duty no matter what occurred in between (on duty not driving, off duty, sleeper berth, on duty driving) unless a 10-hour break occurred in between as well? :?

yes you have to stop driving at 2100. 14 hours is consecutive no matter what it is you're doing. remember not to pass the 11 hours of driving in that time frame too.
    you have a split option, but if you split, you better be in the sleeper for at least 8 hours before you can finish the remainder of the 14 hours.
    edit-
    but if you split and sleep for 8 hours, you might as well wait 2 more hours and start your 14 hr. clock all over again.

allan5oh is offline Senior Board Member

The only thing you could possibly do is log 8 hours minimum line 2. This cannot be broken up with 1,3 or 4. All this does is 'push back' the 14 hour rule, not reset it. If you took an 8 hour nap from 1200-2000, you'd have to shut down by 0500 the next morning.

Karnajj is offline Senior Board Member

You can continue any line 4 activity (loading/unloading etc.) after your 14 is up, however.
    I'm willing to die to protect my Right to Bear Arms.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?

You're going to confuse the poor guy...

Stick to 14 on with only 11 hours drive time within that 14. After you have a premo grasp on logging that way, then try to learn the split and how you can and can't use it to your advantage.

but if you split and sleep for 8 hours, you might as well wait 2 more hours and start your 14 hr. clock all over again.
    WHile this is the best way to handle it if you can, a lot of times if a guy is "logging it as he does it" you need to use the split to get in and out of appointments with a reefer. Especially when trying to do multi stop drops. Everything don't always work out pretty.

got mud? is offline Board Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Karnajj
    You can continue any line 4 activity (loading/unloading etc.) after your 14 is up, however.
    ya I love that! you can still work after you drive 11 hours and have been "at work" for 14 hours. ya right its your stuff you want it you get it off the trailer. I got here its on time and its in one piece, my job is done!
    work harder, millions on welfare are counting on you !

tbrown is offline Member

thanks for the input, now one last question ops:

When you do your Mac 8 and it asks about hours remaining before mandatory break, is it refering to the 14-hour rule, 11-hour rule, or to your 70 hours?

Rawlco is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbrown
    thanks for the input, now one last question ops:

When you do your Mac 8 and it asks about hours remaining before mandatory break, is it refering to the 14-hour rule, 11-hour rule, or to your 70 hours?
    Consult your dispatcher as to which they expect. My trainer only fills in that line if time is going to be tight, such as 5 hours left of the 70 meaning that he needs time for a 34 hour break on this load, or 3 hours left on the 14 so he can't deadhead far. Most of the time it is left blank.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
    --------------------------------------------
    The Road goes ever on and on
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can,
    Pursuing it with eager feet,
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien

golfhobo is offline Board Icon

Can't wait to see the answers to this one! Hint: Not ALL macros are created equally.

Better to ask your trainer or safety director.

:lol: :lol:
    Remember... friends are few and far between.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.

rickll is offline Member

each company build their macros to fit there need. usually they are asking on the 60/70 rule. logs are hard to understand and the more you learn the harder it becomes .... but you can use some of the rules to help you get your job done. Split time usually is not a good thing though as the 14 hour clock is ticking and if you make one mistake dot will shut you down for at least 24 hours when they catch it.
    the old man and Sally slickshift
    H/W team http://www.ourbigtruck.com

Xcis2 is offline Rookie

Default Ah, that pain in the butt 14 hour rule

If you get a chance, check out the December 2006 "Through the Gears" magazine, volume 12, issue 12, article entitled "Drivers' Dilemma: how much time in the berth" starting on pages 54 through 62 at the truck stop. Save that issue for future reference. It has a good example of logging.
    The 11 hour rule for driving can only be reset by 10 or more hours off.
    You can drive 11 hours, be off duty or sleeper berth for at least 10 hours and drive for another 11 hours. A break of 10 hours or more resets BOTH the 11 hour driving clock and the 14 hour clock.
    As soon as you go on duty or driving, the 14 hour clock starts. If you start driving, you have to stop at the 11th hour OR the 14th hour WHICH EVER COMES FIRST. A break of 8 hours or more BUT less than 10 hours ONLY resets the 14 hour clock BUT NOT the 11 hour driving clock.
    Example: your day starts with driving 6 hours, playing video games at the truck stop for 6 hours and that leaves only 2 more hours available for driving. [ 14 hour rule minus 6 hours driving minus 6 hours playing video games equals 2 hours available for driving]. A dumb example but you get the idea.
    Your 70 hours in an 8 day period can only be reset by 34 hours off duty.

Rev.Vassago is offline Guest Board Icon

Default Re: Ah, that pain in the butt 14 hour rule

Quote Originally Posted by Xcis2
    A break of 8 hours or more BUT less than 10 hours ONLY resets the 14 hour clock BUT NOT the 11 hour driving clock.
    :shock:

vavega is offline Senior Board Member

i swear he's my dispatcher in disguise :roll: :P

care to edit, clarify, change, or explain that xcis2?

Roadhog is offline Board Icon

Where is Rawlco or Golfhobo when you need them?
    I've dialed 411...and that didn't help.
    I tried 911...and was told to not call them again. :?

-FlyByNight- is offline Board Regular

If you get a chance, check out the December 2006 "Through the Gears" magazine, volume 12, issue 12, article entitled "Drivers' Dilemma: how much time in the berth" starting on pages 54 through 62 at the truck stop. Save that issue for future reference. It has a good example of logging.
    The 11 hour rule for driving can only be reset by 10 or more hours off.
    You can drive 11 hours, be off duty or sleeper berth for at least 10 hours and drive for another 11 hours. A break of 10 hours or more resets BOTH the 11 hour driving clock and the 14 hour clock.
    As soon as you go on duty or driving, the 14 hour clock starts. If you start driving, you have to stop at the 11th hour OR the 14th hour WHICH EVER COMES FIRST. A break of 8 hours or more BUT less than 10 hours ONLY resets the 14 hour clock BUT NOT the 11 hour driving clock.
    Example: your day starts with driving 6 hours, playing video games at the truck stop for 6 hours and that leaves only 2 more hours available for driving. [ 14 hour rule minus 6 hours driving minus 6 hours playing video games equals 2 hours available for driving]. A dumb example but you get the idea.
    Your 70 hours in an 8 day period can only be reset by 34 hours off duty.

I read that article, it made my brain hurt! :cry: I then said a prayer thanking the good lord that Crete doesn't want us using that STUPID modified sleeper berth provision. :lol:

I don't know if you noticed, but in the examples, they NEVER do a pre trip inspection at all and when the guy goes inside to eat they log it down on line four! :shock:
    -FBN-

cableman is offline Board Regular

Quote Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
    I read that article, it made my brain hurt! :cry: I then said a prayer thanking the good lord that Crete doesn't want us using that STUPID modified sleeper berth provision. :lol:

I don't know if you noticed, but in the examples, they NEVER do a pre trip inspection at all and when the guy goes inside to eat they log it down on line four! :shock:
    Now see you just opened another can of worms... Do you log the Pre or Post trip... FMCSR says that you will log the Post trip, and Texas DOT are pretty anal about this and ready to hand out tickets for not logging correctly.
    OOIDA Member
    NRA Member
    SC National Guard Member

Truck 81221

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
    Thomas Jefferson

Rev.Vassago is offline Guest Board Icon

Quote Originally Posted by cableman
    Now see you just opened another can of worms... Do you log the Pre or Post trip... FMCSR says that you will log the Post trip, and Texas DOT are pretty anal about this and ready to hand out tickets for not logging correctly.
    FMCSR says you log ANY inspection time as ON DUTY (not driving). This includes Pre-trip, post trip, inspections, waiting for a roadside repair, fueling, etc.

golfhobo is offline Board Icon

Quote Originally Posted by roadhog
    Where is Rawlco or Golfhobo when you need them?
    I've dialed 411...and that didn't help.
    I tried 911...and was told to not call them again. :?
    I was in Phoenix.... no wait! I mean Yuma. Well, actually, NC to PHX to Yuma and back in 3 days! And I only needed two logbooks! :lol:

Xcis2 has it almost right.... but it sounded a little confusing. An 8 hour S/B break doesn't really "reset" the 14 hour clock. It just EXTENDS it.

And the total driving time before and after said break cannot exceed 11 hours.

If you start driving, you have to stop at the 11th hour OR the 14th hour WHICH EVER COMES FIRST.
    Sounds like a Mickey Mouse watch to me! :lol:

But, seriously... If you haven't taken an 8 hour S/B break, you MUST stop DRIVING after the 14 hour EVEN if you haven't driven a full 11 hours yet (too many video games.)

FMCSR examples NEVER show times for pretrips or loading, etc. They are concerned ONLY with showing you how you can log your 11 hours of driving without violating the 14 hour rule.

Once you come on duty, ALL line 1 hours (that are NOT 10 hours consecutive), all line 2 hours (that are NOT 8 hours consecutive), ALL line 3 hours, and all line 4 hours, are ON the 14 hour clock. However,

If you are on line 4 at the 14th hour (without one of the breaks mentioned above being taken)... you can keep working, but must take a full 10 hour consecutive break before driving again.

If you are on line 1 or 2 at that time, you better be getting the required time, or your 14 hour clock will have expired and you can't drive until you do.

If you are on line 3 at the 14th hour (without having taken an 8 hour S/B break to "extend" it, you are BUSTED!

Roadhog.... did you try 511??? That's TRAFFIC info, and they know where I am at all times! :lol:
    Remember... friends are few and far between.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.

Xcis2 is offline Rookie

Default If you can not figure out how to do split berth logging....

Just tell your dispatcher "Hey, I'm just a dumb truck driver. I don't do no [expletive deleted] split berth [expletive deleted]. Give me enough time to get there logging normal or I will work for Crete or somebody else.
    If that doesn't work get "Hooked on Phonics". :?
    Come on, you guys can figure out how to use a computer and can't figure out logging. LOL :roll: Would you like to take a pay cut and drive local? :idea: On second thought, just forget the whole thing. ROFL. Have a nice New Year everyone.

belpre122 is offline Local Advocate Senior Board Member

Default Re: If you can not figure out how to do split berth logging.

Just tell your dispatcher "Hey, I'm just a dumb truck driver. I don't do no [expletive deleted] split berth [expletive deleted]. Give me enough time to get there logging normal or I will work for Crete or somebody else.
    If that doesn't work get "Hooked on Phonics". :?
    Come on, you guys can figure out how to use a computer and can't figure out logging. LOL :roll: Would you like to take a pay cut and drive local? :idea: On second thought, just forget the whole thing. ROFL. Have a nice New Year everyone.
    Hey Xcis2! Us fuel haulers would tend to dispute your "take a pay cut and drive local" advice. :lol: Nice New Year to ya. :idea:

22. This ad will disappear if you login