Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOT Physical???

Default DOT Physical???

Is it a basic physical? :?: ie: eyes, ears and blood pressure.

The question is what does it consist of ??

GMAN is offline Administrator Board Icon

It is a basic physical, although they don't usually check the prostate. They check your eyes, heart, lungs, blood pressure, flexibility, etc., They may have you do some squats and running in place. I have even had to do some stretching. It will differ somewhat from one doctor to another. They are usually pretty thorough. The blood pressure and drug test are probably the two they seem to be most concerned. If you are in reasonably good health, you should not have any trouble passing.

Thanks,

GMAN I don't have a problem with any of that. I have never used drugs and I don't drink. I had a DOT physical for the school district I worked for and it seems what you explained is exactly the same physical. I thought that it might be a more in depth physical with more test and such. If necessary, does the DOT allow blood pressure medications to be taken? I know they allow you to take insulin medications by pill but, not by injection. Oh, by the way does the doctor issue you a DOT card??

You can take blood pressure medication. I believe you can now pass the DOT if you take insulin injections. If you take insulin, I believe you have to take a physical annually instead of every two years. The doctor will issue the long form and card once you pass the physical.

Uturn2001 is offline Senior Board Member
    East Central IL between the corn and the beans

Finding the right trucking company is like finding the right person to marry. I really comes down to finding one whose BS you can put up with and who can put up wih yours.

Douglas is offline Board Regular

It just so happens I'm going for my DOT physical and drug test today at 2:30 so I can get into tech. school.

So you can have diabetes and still drive 18-wheelers? If so, can it be OTR? I'd always thought you could, but someone said you couldn't drive OTR...
    Be calm in the face of all common disgraces and know what they're doin' it for - G. Lightfoot

I checked the FMCRA website and found that you can drive otr as long as the diabetes can be controlled by diet or pills. Apparently, they still will not allow you to driver otr if you are on insulin. I know there was some discussion, earlier this year, about allowing insulin depend drivers to go otr, but that must not have passed. I apologize for the mixup. Good luck with the physical.

Splitter is offline Board Regular

Depending on your doctor, he may decide to check for a hernia. My DR. just asks me every time If I've had a hernia since the last visit. Also, when they check your BP. If It seems high to you, don't hesitate to ask If someone else can check It as well. I've seen many newbie nurses that had problems reading the old sphygmomanometer. Just my $.02 worth.

Uturn2001 is offline Senior Board Member
    East Central IL between the corn and the beans

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN
    I checked the FMCRA website and found that you can drive otr as long as the diabetes can be controlled by diet or pills. Apparently, they still will not allow you to driver otr if you are on insulin. I know there was some discussion, earlier this year, about allowing insulin depend drivers to go otr, but that must not have passed. I apologize for the mixup. Good luck with the physical.
    Actually they will allow an insulin dependant diabetic to drive but they must be granted an excemption first from the regs and to get that excemption you have to jump through about 20 extra hoops, like be under the care of an endocrinoligist, have zero episodes of low blood sugar for 3 months, and so on.

The only good news is that they did away with the 2 years of driving on insulin requirement.
    Finding the right trucking company is like finding the right person to marry. I really comes down to finding one whose BS you can put up with and who can put up wih yours.

Eagle Eye is offline Rookie

Just had mine done on the 6th...more health questions then actual examination. Was prepared for the worst, but really not much to it.
    Visit my Website and follow me
    on my new journey...
    www.bigriglife.com

Birken Vogt is offline Member

What is the status of someone with only one eye? I remember it used to be a deal killer but I don't know whether that is still true these days. Just curious.

Birken

Quote Originally Posted by Uturn2001
    Quote Originally Posted by GMAN
    Actually they will allow an insulin dependant diabetic to drive but they must be granted an excemption first from the regs and to get that excemption you have to jump through about 20 extra hoops, like be under the care of an endocrinoligist, have zero episodes of low blood sugar for 3 months, and so on.

The only good news is that they did away with the 2 years of driving on insulin requirement.

Thanks for clearing that up, Uturn. I guess I was correct the first time. :?

Birken, it is my understanding that you can drive with only one eye. I used to have a shipper who had his own trucks, at one time. He had a one eyed driver and had to let him go and pay a $10,000 fine when the DOT found out about it. They later changed the ruling, but he couldn't get his money back since that was the law at the time. The interesting thing is that the driver had never even had a speeding ticket, according to the shipper. :roll:

CrazyRussian is offline Rookie

Blind drivers can use this sign on the trucks :mrgreen:
    [/url]

classicxl is offline Senior Board Member

my last physical took a whole 20 min they did not even do the color blind part anymore

Douglas is offline Board Regular

I took mine yesterday; they did the color-blind test, the vision test, blood-pressure and the physical inside a room. No blood tests or anything like that.
    Be calm in the face of all common disgraces and know what they're doin' it for - G. Lightfoot

Birken Vogt is offline Member

That's funny because they gave me the color blind tests and they were harder than any I had done before. The numbers in the field were at odd angles to the page and I really had to stare to pick them out. Then they threw in some decoy pages with no number in them. Never seen that before! A trick question.

Birken

ManLotr is offline Rookie

Default Little Wife

My wife and I are getting ready to take the DOT Physical for team otr. Will she be required to lift 75lbs? She's only 5' 2'' 125lbs.

kjax is offline Member

Default Re: Little Wife

Quote Originally Posted by ManLotr
    My wife and I are getting ready to take the DOT Physical for team otr. Will she be required to lift 75lbs? She's only 5' 2'' 125lbs.
    FMCSR 391.41

ManLotr is offline Rookie

Default Thank You

Thanks!
    She doesn't have any of those. A short fuse sometimes!

kjax is offline Member

Default Re: Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by ManLotr
    A short fuse sometimes!
    I think there might be an FMCSR reg covering that. 8)

22. This ad will disappear if you login

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast