User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Interested in driving but what companies allow dogs

I am wanting to change careers and move into the trucking profession. Although I have never driven a "big" truck I believe that I was born with a steering wheel attached to my hands. Driving has always been a great source of enjoyment for me. I have read alot of the threads about various companies; the good, the bad and the ugly and I thought I had it all sewn up as to who I would want to work for.

The problem I am having is that the companies I like and am calling do not allow dogs. I have no experience and will need to either go to a company school to learn (my preference) or go to a private school; either way I will have to work as a company driver until I get enough time and experience under my belt and then (ideally) I will purchase my own truck and become an o/o.

Sorry for the long winded message. Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Senior Board Member

There are a few companies that allow pets. You are just going to have to keep looking around.

My question is, why are you limiting your career with only looking at companies that allow pets? Sure it would be nice if we could all bring our dogs to work. But thats just not how the world works. I cant take my dog to work. Now, I know what you are going to say. You are going to say Im not away from home for long periods of time like a driver. Ok, what about Pilots, bus drivers, outside sales people, the military...you never see those people wanting to take their pets to work. Heck, i was a district manager in retail many years ago. I was usually away from home for 3 to 4 weeks at a time. No way anyone would have let me take a dog.
I just wonder why some drivers almost demand that they be able to work with pets.
I really dont think someone should limit themselves when thinking about a career. Not to mention that a pet in the cab of the truck can be a safety issue.
But thats just my two cents.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Not sure about companies, but the truck stops can have some really ugly lizards running around :wink:

Bow wow !!! :shock:
Old 09-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Board Regular

I would view the carrier profiles on here and www.FleetDirectory.com look and they will show you if they accept pets or not,most mega carriers do but not all some do require a depoist which may or may not be refundable hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Senior Board Member

CFI will permit you to take up to TWO small dogs. To get a better readout on what is defined as a "small dog", please call Christine @ 1-800-641-4748 or email her at [email protected] Just tell her "Skywalker" sent you.....

You can also, if you are interested, come over and visit http://www.cfidrivers.com and ask any other questions you may have about CFI. Since you are in St. Louis area, you are definitely in the hiring area, and CFI is based out of Joplin.

You can also email or PM me with any questions about CFI.... I have been with them for quite some time now.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg
I would view the carrier profiles on here and www.FleetDirectory.com look and they will show you if they accept pets or not,most mega carriers do but not all some do require a depoist which may or may not be refundable hope this helps.
Thanks BigDawg!,
I'll look into this. I spoke to Schneider, Millis, May Interstate, Gordon and Werner. Werner was the only one that did allows pets. A deposit is no problem.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
CFI will permit you to take up to TWO small dogs. To get a better readout on what is defined as a "small dog", please call Christine @ 1-800-641-4748 or email her at [email protected] Just tell her "Skywalker" sent you.....

You can also, if you are interested, come over and visit http://www.cfidrivers.com and ask any other questions you may have about CFI. Since you are in St. Louis area, you are definitely in the hiring area, and CFI is based out of Joplin.

You can also email or PM me with any questions about CFI.... I have been with them for quite some time now.
Skywalker I have read your posts in other forums over the last several days and I appreciate your advice on C.F.I.

I spoke to them today on the phone and I thought that Axel told me that they don't let new company drivers have pets. I may have misunderstood him. C.F.I. was one of the companies that I was very interested in getting on with.

I have been reading everything I can in the forums that pertain to new hires and about all of the companies that are good and not so good. C.F.I. was one that seemed to be one of the better ones....at least for new drivers. I will call them tomorrow and check it out.

I appreciate all of you folks that have taken the time and interest to answer my questions.

Joe
Old 09-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver
Not sure about companies, but the truck stops can have some really ugly lizards running around :wink:

Bow wow !!! :shock:
When I get out there with the rest of you guys, can I come to you for advice on where the best ones are hiding or are you saving them for yourself?

sniff, sniff !!!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
There are a few companies that allow pets. You are just going to have to keep looking around.

My question is, why are you limiting your career with only looking at companies that allow pets? Sure it would be nice if we could all bring our dogs to work. But thats just not how the world works. I cant take my dog to work. Now, I know what you are going to say. You are going to say Im not away from home for long periods of time like a driver. Ok, what about Pilots, bus drivers, outside sales people, the military...you never see those people wanting to take their pets to work. Heck, i was a district manager in retail many years ago. I was usually away from home for 3 to 4 weeks at a time. No way anyone would have let me take a dog.
I just wonder why some drivers almost demand that they be able to work with pets.
I really dont think someone should limit themselves when thinking about a career. Not to mention that a pet in the cab of the truck can be a safety issue.
But thats just my two cents.
At the risk of sounding ungrateful, well all I can say in response is that my advice to a seasoned professional such as yourself, being an ex retail district mgr (who probably reported to me) I simply wanted some advice not someones diatribe about an issue that they are ocd'ing over. I have a pet because I choose to and will not give him up for a job! I'm not that desperate. I am also not one that demands or expects anyone, other then myself, to bend to my wishes. As far as my dog being a safety issue he is probably a better and safer companion then a lot of the homo sapiens that are riding shotgun out there. If you were trying to offer sincere and helpful advice it did not come off that way so if my response to you sounds as chastising as yours then you will understand....(or not) why I answered you in the way, I did.

If someone askes for good advice and you don't have any then you should keep your response to yourself.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Board Regular

The way i see if some company will not accept my bassett to ride along then to he!! with them she rides better than most ppl,and she dosen't talk back either,also she is current on all her shots more than i can say for some drivers out there.