Thread: Interested in driving but what companies allow dogs

aeneas is offline Rookie

Default Interested in driving but what companies allow dogs

I am wanting to change careers and move into the trucking profession. Although I have never driven a "big" truck I believe that I was born with a steering wheel attached to my hands. Driving has always been a great source of enjoyment for me. I have read alot of the threads about various companies; the good, the bad and the ugly and I thought I had it all sewn up as to who I would want to work for.

The problem I am having is that the companies I like and am calling do not allow dogs. I have no experience and will need to either go to a company school to learn (my preference) or go to a private school; either way I will have to work as a company driver until I get enough time and experience under my belt and then (ideally) I will purchase my own truck and become an o/o.

Sorry for the long winded message. Any help will be much appreciated.

Sheepdancer is offline Senior Board Member

There are a few companies that allow pets. You are just going to have to keep looking around.

My question is, why are you limiting your career with only looking at companies that allow pets? Sure it would be nice if we could all bring our dogs to work. But thats just not how the world works. I cant take my dog to work. Now, I know what you are going to say. You are going to say Im not away from home for long periods of time like a driver. Ok, what about Pilots, bus drivers, outside sales people, the military...you never see those people wanting to take their pets to work. Heck, i was a district manager in retail many years ago. I was usually away from home for 3 to 4 weeks at a time. No way anyone would have let me take a dog.
    I just wonder why some drivers almost demand that they be able to work with pets.
    I really dont think someone should limit themselves when thinking about a career. Not to mention that a pet in the cab of the truck can be a safety issue.
    But thats just my two cents.

Blind Driver is offline Senior Board Member

Not sure about companies, but the truck stops can have some really ugly lizards running around :wink:

Bow wow !!! :shock:
    "Professional stake killer with ability to operate heavy equipment"

BigDawg is offline Board Regular

I would view the carrier profiles on here and www.FleetDirectory.com look and they will show you if they accept pets or not,most mega carriers do but not all some do require a depoist which may or may not be refundable hope this helps.
    go with the flow..........or just don't go nuff said

Skywalker is offline Senior Board Member

CFI will permit you to take up to TWO small dogs. To get a better readout on what is defined as a "small dog", please call Christine @ 1-800-641-4748 or email her at clathan@cfi-us.com Just tell her "Skywalker" sent you.....

You can also, if you are interested, come over and visit http://www.cfidrivers.com and ask any other questions you may have about CFI. Since you are in St. Louis area, you are definitely in the hiring area, and CFI is based out of Joplin.

You can also email or PM me with any questions about CFI.... I have been with them for quite some time now.
    Forrest Gump was right....and some people literally strive to prove it.....everyday. Strive not to be one of "them".... And "lemmings" are a dime a dozen!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

aeneas is offline Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg
    I would view the carrier profiles on here and www.FleetDirectory.com look and they will show you if they accept pets or not,most mega carriers do but not all some do require a depoist which may or may not be refundable hope this helps.
    Thanks BigDawg!,
    I'll look into this. I spoke to Schneider, Millis, May Interstate, Gordon and Werner. Werner was the only one that did allows pets. A deposit is no problem.

Thanks

aeneas is offline Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    CFI will permit you to take up to TWO small dogs. To get a better readout on what is defined as a "small dog", please call Christine @ 1-800-641-4748 or email her at clathan@cfi-us.com Just tell her "Skywalker" sent you.....

You can also, if you are interested, come over and visit http://www.cfidrivers.com and ask any other questions you may have about CFI. Since you are in St. Louis area, you are definitely in the hiring area, and CFI is based out of Joplin.

You can also email or PM me with any questions about CFI.... I have been with them for quite some time now.
    Skywalker I have read your posts in other forums over the last several days and I appreciate your advice on C.F.I.

I spoke to them today on the phone and I thought that Axel told me that they don't let new company drivers have pets. I may have misunderstood him. C.F.I. was one of the companies that I was very interested in getting on with.

I have been reading everything I can in the forums that pertain to new hires and about all of the companies that are good and not so good. C.F.I. was one that seemed to be one of the better ones....at least for new drivers. I will call them tomorrow and check it out.

I appreciate all of you folks that have taken the time and interest to answer my questions.

Joe

aeneas is offline Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Driver
    Not sure about companies, but the truck stops can have some really ugly lizards running around :wink:

Bow wow !!! :shock:
    When I get out there with the rest of you guys, can I come to you for advice on where the best ones are hiding or are you saving them for yourself?

sniff, sniff !!!

aeneas is offline Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
    There are a few companies that allow pets. You are just going to have to keep looking around.

My question is, why are you limiting your career with only looking at companies that allow pets? Sure it would be nice if we could all bring our dogs to work. But thats just not how the world works. I cant take my dog to work. Now, I know what you are going to say. You are going to say Im not away from home for long periods of time like a driver. Ok, what about Pilots, bus drivers, outside sales people, the military...you never see those people wanting to take their pets to work. Heck, i was a district manager in retail many years ago. I was usually away from home for 3 to 4 weeks at a time. No way anyone would have let me take a dog.
    I just wonder why some drivers almost demand that they be able to work with pets.
    I really dont think someone should limit themselves when thinking about a career. Not to mention that a pet in the cab of the truck can be a safety issue.
    But thats just my two cents.
    At the risk of sounding ungrateful, well all I can say in response is that my advice to a seasoned professional such as yourself, being an ex retail district mgr (who probably reported to me) I simply wanted some advice not someones diatribe about an issue that they are ocd'ing over. I have a pet because I choose to and will not give him up for a job! I'm not that desperate. I am also not one that demands or expects anyone, other then myself, to bend to my wishes. As far as my dog being a safety issue he is probably a better and safer companion then a lot of the homo sapiens that are riding shotgun out there. If you were trying to offer sincere and helpful advice it did not come off that way so if my response to you sounds as chastising as yours then you will understand....(or not) why I answered you in the way, I did.

If someone askes for good advice and you don't have any then you should keep your response to yourself.

BigDawg is offline Board Regular

The way i see if some company will not accept my bassett to ride along then to he!! with them she rides better than most ppl,and she dosen't talk back either,also she is current on all her shots more than i can say for some drivers out there.
    go with the flow..........or just don't go nuff said

The way i see if some company will not accept my bassett to ride along then to he!! with them she rides better than most ppl,and she dosen't talk back either,also she is current on all her shots more than i can say for some drivers out there.
    That right there is damn funny! Great line BigDawg!

Good luck to you aeneas on your new adventure. Swift does allow your pet. There is a $500 deposit ($250 refundable - $250 not).

aeneas is offline Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Spranglin'_Spider
    That right there is damn funny! Great line BigDawg!

Good luck to you aeneas on your new adventure. Swift does allow your pet. There is a $500 deposit ($250 refundable - $250 not).
    Thanks Spranglin'_Spider! Do you have any words on Swift? What I have been reading in other threads about them is not good! Right now my list of possibles is Werner or CFI. I going to make my decision which way to go next week.

I was giving you good advice and I wasnt chastising you at all. You just didnt get an answer you wanted to hear. Ive been in this business for a pretty long time and I have seen the REAL reasons a lot of drivers succeed and a lot of drivers fail. Most of the time it comes down to this; FLEXIBILITY
    There are many reasons a lot of companies dont allow pets....the safety issue is just one of them. Another reason is many customers dont allow pets on their property. In fact the reason we dont allow pets in our trucks is exactly that reason. Too many of our customers complained and said "no pets on our property" Say your dispatcher has a great load for you, but "OOPS" thats one of the customers that doesnt allow pets. Do you think your employer is going to say take the load anyway and hide the dog? Nope, you are going to be sitting and you are also now going to be one of that dispatchers or fleet managers least favorite drivers on the board. Then your miles might suffer.
    I guess Im just a bit of an animal lover and i dont think its humane having a dog in a truck or car for that long. Do you know why dogs like having their heads out of the window while driving? Most people think its because dogs like to smell the outside. Thats not the reason at all. Everyone knows that dogs sence of smell is very good. The reason dogs stick their heads out the window is because the smell inside the car or cab is overwhelming them and driving them nuts. Most vets will tell you that keeping a dog in a car like that for long periods of time isnt Good for their health or their stress levels.

Look, i think its great that you arent desperate for a job and you have choices. I hope it works out for you. I just felt you were limiting yourself. Me personally, I wouldnt want to be limited at all in my choice of career. The people who are not limited and are flexible go farther and succeed more. I love my dogs too....But if I had the choice of keeping my dogs and working for a lower paid job where i could barely make my bills. Or a high paying job where I can afford to take care of my families needs, pay for my kids schooling and room to advance, the dogs would be gone tomorrow. You might be able to do both but it kind of reminds me of a guy with long hair working for a minimum wage job....he could have a great paying job, but he refuses to cut his hair. Sure, he gets to tell all his buddies "I wont cut my hair for anyone, I do what i want" Sure, he gets to keep his long hair.......One problem though....hes going nowhere in his career and he cant pay his bills.

Another choice you have would be to buy your own truck. Then you could take whoever or whatever pet you want. You could choose only to take the loads of customers who allow pets on their property.

But its your career and your choice.
    once again...good luck

And just so you dont think Im trying to recruit you to our company by feeding you BS about pets. We dont hire students or new drivers so this isnt me trying to recruit you.
    I was just giving you ADVICE......isnt that what you were looking for?

aeneas is offline Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
    I was giving you good advice and I wasnt chastising you at all. You just didnt get an answer you wanted to hear. Ive been in this business for a pretty long time and I have seen the REAL reasons a lot of drivers succeed and a lot of drivers fail. Most of the time it comes down to this; FLEXIBILITY
    There are many reasons a lot of companies dont allow pets....the safety issue is just one of them. Another reason is many customers dont allow pets on their property. In fact the reason we dont allow pets in our trucks is exactly that reason. Too many of our customers complained and said "no pets on our property" Say your dispatcher has a great load for you, but "OOPS" thats one of the customers that doesnt allow pets. Do you think your employer is going to say take the load anyway and hide the dog? Nope, you are going to be sitting and you are also now going to be one of that dispatchers or fleet managers least favorite drivers on the board. Then your miles might suffer.
    I guess Im just a bit of an animal lover and i dont think its humane having a dog in a truck or car for that long. Do you know why dogs like having their heads out of the window while driving? Most people think its because dogs like to smell the outside. Thats not the reason at all. Everyone knows that dogs sence of smell is very good. The reason dogs stick their heads out the window is because the smell inside the car or cab is overwhelming them and driving them nuts. Most vets will tell you that keeping a dog in a car like that for long periods of time isnt Good for their health or their stress levels.

Look, i think its great that you arent desperate for a job and you have choices. I hope it works out for you. I just felt you were limiting yourself. Me personally, I wouldnt want to be limited at all in my choice of career. The people who are not limited and are flexible go farther and succeed more. I love my dogs too....But if I had the choice of keeping my dogs and working for a lower paid job where i could barely make my bills. Or a high paying job where I can afford to take care of my families needs, pay for my kids schooling and room to advance, the dogs would be gone tomorrow. You might be able to do both but it kind of reminds me of a guy with long hair working for a minimum wage job....he could have a great paying job, but he refuses to cut his hair. Sure, he gets to tell all his buddies "I wont cut my hair for anyone, I do what i want" Sure, he gets to keep his long hair.......One problem though....hes going nowhere in his career and he cant pay his bills.

Another choice you have would be to buy your own truck. Then you could take whoever or whatever pet you want. You could choose only to take the loads of customers who allow pets on their property.

But its your career and your choice.
    once again...good luck
    Sheepdancer,
    This helps me in my decision making process. Now you have given me some information that I can use. I appreciate the insight regarding the "no dogs on my property issue". This is something I was not aware of. Luke, my dog, and I have been on many long trips (10 hours and more) and he must have o/o blood in him because he handles it like a champ. I would not want to risk his well being for my sake but I have to give this a try. Its either driving or something (job wise) that I will hate. As for excersise he like me do it on a regular basis. I understand that driving will change my current lifestyle quite a bit. I do plan on becoming an o/o just as soon as I get enough experience under my belt. I am no kid and I do, do my homework when I approach a project such as this career change. I see now you meant to give good advice and I just misinterpreted your early response.

I am taking in and researching alot and plan to make a decision next week as to what direction I will go. Nothing is as black and white as it seemed to be when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's. If I do this truck driving thing it will be the last time I change jobs. Although I was born in the city and wore a suit and tie most of my life I always knew as my buddy Mark would say that I am basically a country dog at heart.

Thanks

Skywalker is offline Senior Board Member

With regard to CFI's pet policy.....to eliminate the confusion:

If you are an "experienced driver" who only goes through orientation and is assigned a truck...you can have your pet with you immediately.

If you are a "student driver" who is going out with a "Finisher" aka trainer, you cannot take your pet with you. Once you finish the training program and are assigned to your own tractor, you can take your pet with you.
    Forrest Gump was right....and some people literally strive to prove it.....everyday. Strive not to be one of "them".... And "lemmings" are a dime a dozen!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

aeneas is offline Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    With regard to CFI's pet policy.....to eliminate the confusion:

If you are an "experienced driver" who only goes through orientation and is assigned a truck...you can have your pet with you immediately.

If you are a "student driver" who is going out with a "Finisher" aka trainer, you cannot take your pet with you. Once you finish the training program and are assigned to your own tractor, you can take your pet with you.
    Thanks, Skywalker

19. This ad will disappear if you login