User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 05:35 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default There Goes the Safety Bonus

It finally happened to me. Has this happened to anyone else.
To make a long story short, after doing a 2 terminal drops, then a delivery in 13 logged hours, I'm dispatched for a pickup that's supposedly 1 hour drive from my present location. Get there in 1 hour 15 min, and discover that I'm loading up my flatbed with a nightmare load. If I'm not loaded now, then I'm going to sit for 16 hours, as its currently 2 30pm and If I don't load it now then I have to wait till they open in the morning.

I'm loading up the pieces for a huge lightning rod for a mine. The company only has a small forklift to use in a driveway thats 2 times the width of my trailer. So in order to start loading the pieces, I must pull out 10 feet, the forklift guy picks up a piece of the assembly, then I back in again. I had to repeat this process for all 10 pieces, annoying. To make it interesting I also had to secure 5 pallets and an open drum holding all the small pieces for assembly. Keep in mind I had only 40 min to do all this.
Thats when things went wrong, on my last backing I heard a strange sound when I started to angle my trailer for the last piece. Apparently the hook from my No 1 load securement strap on my flatbed had come loose during all the loading and tying down, and had hooked itself under my drives fender. When I started to angle the trailer back the locking mechanism locked the strap in place and proceeded to bend the driver side fender up, also breaking the inside welds of the right side fender. It was still drivable as the other welds still held.
All it took was moving 1 foot. After knocking the hook loose I finished loading and went to the repair shop minus a few ego points. Fortunately only 15 min away.
Just my opinion, I know its my fault, but anyone else been in this situation.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Senior Board Member

that just happens when u get in a rush...