User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

once your convictions get into the seven year range more co may consider you. I have heard Trans am is lenient but do not know for sure. I have met a driver that works for them that claimed to have a conviction for trafficking cocaine hmmmm??? oh by the way where do u live?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Rookie

i live in NE. and actually trans am is the company that gave me two different answers. i need to try calling them again. my last conviction was may 1999 so i am just under 7 yrs. also since i never got convicted as a felon (only misd) i am still able to get hazmat.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
I been applying everywhere, I have no police record but a few gaps in employment and I can't get hired so a few mistakes like drugs, well good-bye... I bet we meet at the employment line.....I lost out , my life is over since no one will hire me with a 3 week gap in employment. So far 6 companies said sorry you got gap..... instead of you got a rap sheet...

Just try and try , thats all i am doing.....
on your gap you just have to be able to have some one verify that you were out of work the three weeks thats all. I had a six month gap. and was hired sheesh.

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Inter arma silent leges

Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es
Old 11-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: zero tolerance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk
I just started school for my CDL today- and realized it's probably all wasted $, because I have 3 misdemeanor (NOT felony) convictions for possession of drugs. They are from 1998-99 but I seem to be ineligible for hire. Does anyone know if this is the response I'll get across the board? I've talked to all the major companies I can think of.
I am going to play devils advocate here! OK me the company looks at your application sees not one not two but three drug charges! Warning Warning Warning step away from the truck. Here is what an employer is going to look at 1. this guy did not learn his lesson. 2 OK if we give him a chance and he gets back to his old ways what the worst that can happen? 1. he kills a family, 2. he gets busted and we loose the truck and the load. 3 we are put out of business because some person can't leave drugs alone. nope sorry Mr. applicant three strikes and your out. also it does not matter how petty the charges were you knew it was against the law and you chose to break it three times. your character is questionable at best in the eyes of an employer. Best of luck and I do hope all works out for you.

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Inter arma silent leges

Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es
Old 11-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Littleman2 and Rokk, I do have a verifying letter of unemployment, my wife owns her own business and is self employed and works out of the house and when a recruiter calls they call her business because its the only phone I use at home, but they all said that self employment don't count, all the time in my gaps I just stayed home and helped the wife and I never got paid, she is my wife and we share the household, these trucking companies say they want a stronger work background because I have only been employed the last few years by temp agencies that its not good enough or strong enough for them to accept me... if they would go back 20 years and see I spent 13 years solid in a Sawmill and made $1300 gross every 2 weeks and I called in sick once in 13 years then I can show them I can work solid but since they only see these temp agencies and gaps they assume I am a loser and can't keep a job, I tried to explain to them my wife OWNS her own business and supports the household but they see that as self employed and that don't count and if she can verify I was home it still don't count..... I am confused as to why one must work until the day you go off to their orientation and quit your job that day...., I am unemployed now after graduating CDL school and have not worked because I have not been hired yet, so if I go get a job and work it until I get hired its not fair to the employer that I work 2 weeks and leave..... I am going to try to get on with companies with less than 20 trucks and stay away from the BIG companies that only hire someone with a trucking job that they can quit...
Old 11-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Rookie

?I am going to play devils advocate here! OK me the company looks at your application sees not one not two but three drug charges! Warning Warning Warning step away from the truck. Here is what an employer is going to look at 1. this guy did not learn his lesson. 2 OK if we give him a chance and he gets back to his old ways what the worst that can happen? 1. he kills a family, 2. he gets busted and we loose the truck and the load. 3 we are put out of business because some person can't leave drugs alone. nope sorry Mr. applicant three strikes and your out. also it does not matter how petty the charges were you knew it was against the law and you chose to break it three times. your character is questionable at best in the eyes of an employer. Best of luck and I do hope all works out for you.?

OK, I understand this. All I can say is I went through a terrifically bad period in my life, I didn?t care what I did for a few years so I did it, and I didn?t have any reason not to. Now things have changed, it is a full seven years later, my record (and my system) are completely clean.

I know they have the right to refuse anyone they want to. What angers me is that they will give a job to someone who chose to drink alcohol and get behind the wheel of a car (even if they did it more than once, mind you), but not to someone who had weed in his apartment. I think the priorities there are a little fucked.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk
?I am going to play devils advocate here! OK me the company looks at your application sees not one not two but three drug charges! Warning Warning Warning step away from the truck. Here is what an employer is going to look at 1. this guy did not learn his lesson. 2 OK if we give him a chance and he gets back to his old ways what the worst that can happen? 1. he kills a family, 2. he gets busted and we loose the truck and the load. 3 we are put out of business because some person can't leave drugs alone. nope sorry Mr. applicant three strikes and your out. also it does not matter how petty the charges were you knew it was against the law and you chose to break it three times. your character is questionable at best in the eyes of an employer. Best of luck and I do hope all works out for you.?

OK, I understand this. All I can say is I went through a terrifically bad period in my life, I didn?t care what I did for a few years so I did it, and I didn?t have any reason not to. Now things have changed, it is a full seven years later, my record (and my system) are completely clean.

I know they have the right to refuse anyone they want to. What angers me is that they will give a job to someone who chose to drink alcohol and get behind the wheel of a car (even if they did it more than once, mind you), but not to someone who had weed in his apartment. I think the priorities there are a little ****.
OK-here we go again with comparing alcohol and Drugs-I know you don't know the trucking business but a DWI will cook you just like a drug conviction.

There's plenty of us that when through "rough" times in our lives but didn't turn to alcohol or Drugs
Old 11-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I think the assumption is made that you did not learn once, did not learn twice, and after the third time you just figured out how to not get caught.
After all, No One is going to believe that you got caught the only three times you were in possession of controlled substances.

But here's a thought:
Contact an attorney. Ask about expungment laws in your state. If you are luck - REALLY lucky! - you will find out that after a certain amount of time the record can be expunged (that means erased) and you may answer "no" to all "have you ever......." questions. As you point out, these are misdemeanor charges and usually they can be expunged, especially after a period of years with no further violations.

BOL....really, BOL!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Rookie

thanks alligator, i will try that!

for the record, every company i've talked to so far (and it's been several) will hire DUIs after three years. even multiple DUIs.

and i dont mean to be comparing alcohol or drugs, or defending anything. i actually volunteer as a drug counselor now. i'm against it; trust me.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Default An Idea??

Well, RJK!!!

There are certain realities that you are going to face, even if you do find a company that will take you on. One problem is that you won't be allowed into Canada, so that closes a lot of doors for employment opportunity from the very beginning.

I know a few ex-convicts and past drug offenders that drive (most of them for an outlaw company here in Texas), and even though their legal troubles may be behind them, these guys spend a lot of time behind the scale houses having their trucks searched.

Stopped by the Police, Sheriff, DOT, or Highway Patrol ?? Once they run a check on your driver's license , and your records of arrests pop up, you might as well hand the LEO an engraved invitation stating "Tickets Welcome, Guilty or Not!!" Of course, you'll also be losing more time, because you WILL wind up having your truck searched-again!!

Once your record of past offenses becomes known, you will loose any credibility you may have as far as being able to defend yourself, even if you are not guilty!! So you become a lucrative source for revenue enhancement, and you spend many hours driving off fines that you owe.

All of these things cause trouble not only for you, but for your employer as well. That is part of the reason companies have a zero tolerance policy on drug offenses.
:idea:
Here's an idea for you to consider!! You want to travel?? You want to get paid to travel?? Instead of complaining about doors being closed to you, take a liability, and transform it into an asset!! Go out, and get the word out; tell people about the doors that are closed to you!! You may be able to reach a few young people, and help save them from making the mistakes you made; the mistakes that you are paying for to this very day!!

You said that you work as a drug counselor; any chance of capitalizing on that by becoming a paid speaker, offering lectures on the long term consequences of getting caught, and helping people to find positive things for young people to say "Yes" to?? Did drugs deliver you from your problems?? There are church congregations, church youth ministry groups, schools, maybe even some truck driving schools, and other civic groups who might want to hear your story!!
8)
Good Luck, Useless