User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It is not uncommon for some shippers and brokers to try and get rates reduced during slower freight times when many more trucks are sitting for longer periods of time. Some owner operators get desperate and will haul anything to just get moving again. If you are in that situation, you are most likely under capitalized and probably hauling for lower rates generally, than you should. You aren't doing yourself any favors when you haul for cheap rates. And it bodes badly for the industry. I turned down a decent paying load going to Houston earlier today because the rates I was quoted wasn't enough coming out to make it worthwhile. 8)
Old 02-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Rookie

Apollo....that's my question. This is my first season. I didn't realize that there was such a dramatic change in the market during this time of year. I have to admit that I've been guilty of doing just what GMAN has said....I've taken just about anything just because suddenly it seemed so hard to find a decent load. I'm learning though and I'm certainly not willing to haul for less than my operating costs. Thanks again to all of your responses I'm learning. I probably turn down three of every five loads I try to get.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Rookie

My husband and I have been using getloaded for two years. We've never had a problem. They really helped us out on slow periods. I would recommend them.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:19 AM

Why would anybody from any "freightmatching" service(?) worry about another pimpboard not having any freight on it.
Haven't you heard that doublebrokering is illegal?
That's pretty slimey to just grab load posting from another pimpboard and post them as your own.
The best way to fix the trucking industry is to get rid of the "load brokers".
Most of these rats don't even pay their phone bill never mind a freight bill.
"Oh do you mean we have to pay the truck too.?"
Old 11-05-2006, 01:49 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Well, everyone can expect for the rates to drop in the first 3-4 month of the year, i used to sit in Chicago for a whole day without being able to get out, even 2...
Right now loads are s$%^^y, ex, Chicago-L.A. pays 2800 and not a dime more, the interesting thing is that every broker knows exactly what other broker is paying and they're working together watching each others back, blackmailing the industry drivers with these cheap rates and we are not able to do anything about it unless we stick together and just refuse this ...

Another example is that Northeast where in places like Philly you can expect to run into a load that's paying 80 cents on the gross, YES, THE GROSS but to get in you can get 240-250 per mile if u know what u're doing....places like that Flyin-J in Harrisburg are full of trucks waiting to get out and they are taking advantage of that BIG-TIME.. that's why i refuse to go to places like that, Florida especially.

Bottom line is that this industry changed over the last couple of years, from higher fuel prices to these ridiculous freight charges, regulations by the DOT and all of that....am just surprised why the industry with this much power does not have a UNION of some king which would take care of the driver, am just surprised at this but taking in the fact that all of these mega carriers are working together trying to squeeze every Little drop from us it shouldn't be that big of a surprise.....dunno anymore..
Old 11-05-2006, 03:51 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

knows exactly what other broker is paying and they're working together watching each others back

This is called Collusion and it is also what the Mafiaso Does.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh
Well, everyone can expect for the rates to drop in the first 3-4 month of the year, i used to sit in Chicago for a whole day without being able to get out, even 2...
Right now loads are s$%^^y, ex, Chicago-L.A. pays 2800 and not a dime more, the interesting thing is that every broker knows exactly what other broker is paying and they're working together watching each others back, blackmailing the industry drivers with these cheap rates and we are not able to do anything about it unless we stick together and just refuse this ...

Another example is that Northeast where in places like Philly you can expect to run into a load that's paying 80 cents on the gross, YES, THE GROSS but to get in you can get 240-250 per mile if u know what u're doing....places like that Flyin-J in Harrisburg are full of trucks waiting to get out and they are taking advantage of that BIG-TIME.. that's why i refuse to go to places like that, Florida especially.

Bottom line is that this industry changed over the last couple of years, from higher fuel prices to these ridiculous freight charges, regulations by the DOT and all of that....am just surprised why the industry with this much power does not have a UNION of some king which would take care of the driver, am just surprised at this but taking in the fact that all of these mega carriers are working together trying to squeeze every Little drop from us it shouldn't be that big of a surprise.....dunno anymore..

We don't need anyone else in our pockets, such as a union. I don't think a union will work with independent contractors. Anyone who is an owner operator is a businessman. Each has the power to turn down any load which they deem unprofitable. The company drivers are doing fine. I think the problem is that there are too many owner operators who fail to understand that they are in business and not a truck driver. They may drive a truck but they are businessmen. Carriers have moved more toward these "fleece purchase" programs and owner operators in an effort to reduce their cost of doing business. When they sign a lease with an owner operator they treat the owner operator as an independent businessman relinquishing responsibility for Social Security and other taxes and putting them on the owner operator. That in itself is a huge cost reduction. You don't pay a vendor benefits. When owner operators lease to these carriers most probably never consider Social Security, Medicare and Income Taxes as a cost of doing business. If they did, they would not be running for $1/mile.

When you are an owner operator or independent running your own authority, you are more in control of your future than you probably realize. Freight is a commodity like anything else. If the commodity doesn't move at one price then the price rises until it does. If enough owner operators and independents would turn down cheap loads then the price would eventually come up to an acceptable level.

Change your thinking from employee/employer to vendor/customer. I would never lease to any carrier where they had forced dispatch. If I pay all the expenses and own the equipment it is my decision as to whether a load pays enough to warrant my putting it on the truck. I would never allow a carrier to strong arm me into taking a load which is too cheap. If it isn't profitable I don't take it......PERIOD!!! Just remember who owns the equipment.

If more owner operators were business savvy I would be inclined to suggest more get their authority and start competing with the large carriers for business. The problem is that most owner operators are drivers who happen to own their own trucks. It is much like the mechanic who owns his own tools but works for a garage. You are basically bringing your own tools to work.

87% of all carriers have fewer than 50 trucks, according to the American Trucking Association. If that is true, then the smaller companies should be in the drivers seat when it comes to setting rates and deciding what gets hauled. Unfortunately, it is the larger carriers who often decide rates because they do stick together (look at the speed limiter petition). Since so many carriers rely on owner operators and independents to haul their freight, we are the ones who really decide whether a load should be hauled for a cheap rate or not. If you don't like the cheap rates, then don't take them. 8)
Old 08-15-2007, 05:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Hmmm IMO what makes the two best good, internet truck stop and get-loaded, are their sheer amount of volume, of more loads listed, more bang for your buck so to speak.
Sure you could argue that yeah but they are all. crap loads listed lol.....but under close examination that wouldnt hold up under a capitilistic market....of trucks versus loads......more to chose from, all things being equal should be better.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandilon View Post
I canceled after not finding any WORTHWHILE listings and they STILL charged my bank account!

See:

http://www.warning-thievesatfastbuck...finder-THIEVES

BEWARE their 30 day FREE trial.
Terrible experience with Getloaded.com!!! I've been in the trucking industry for over 20 years and contrary to popular belief, Getloaded.com is definitely NOT the leading load board on the internet. In fact, I would put them on the bottom of my list for a few reasons: a) they claim to have the easiest site - simply not true: Internet Truckstop is easier and 123Loadboard.com's Team works directly for me; b) Getloaded also claims to have the cheapest load board in the industry - not true as there are free services online and there $29.99/month plan offers nothing much, no mileage, no credit reports, no rate index; c) Terrible customer service - called 3 times regarding over-billing on my account and was given the run around each time. After all is said and done, I am glad I closed my Getloaded.com account back in October. I just had enough with them and am glad to hear that I am not the only one.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Senior Board Member

And when you quit, they force you to answer a questionnaire about why you're quitting before they'll close out your account. It's pretty rude.

InternetTruckStop likes to call me on the phone when I'm in traffic to ask me to come back. Also rude.

I like Membersedge myself.