User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 03:10 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Cooking over the Road

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A former co-driver and I both liked to cook; he was spanish and usually only cooked variations of tacos and burritos, ect. He taught me some very good recipes for tacos and burritos, with alvacadoes, special cheeses, sour cream, hot sauces, ect.

We would go to Wal-Mart and stock up on groceries and fill our shelves; mostly with everything to make tacos with, for his cooking and split the grocery bill. So, while one was driving, the other would plug in the skillet and make breakfast tacos with eggs, sausage, sour cream & hot sauce in the morning. Then at lunch time we'd make either chicken or beef tacos / burritos.

As time passed, we were even cooking fried chicken and fried potatoes too. Later, when I had another partner, I bought a rice cooker and started making fried rice, using frozen bags of vegetables, bean sprouts, onions, garlic, cut up chicken breast, ect _ it was great!

I had plastic tubs ( about 12" x 14" x 8" ) deep, from Wal Mart, that I had spread out on the lower bunk, with different things in them, for more "counter space"; they stacked inside of each other, when not in use.

We put the electric frying on a cardboad boxon the floor, behind the curtain, about 16" square & about 10" deep, with holes for the legs of the frying pan to set in; so it wouldn't slide. The person cooking would be behind the sealed curtain. I put my left leg through the seat belt, all the way up to my hip and sat on the lower bunk, to be secured, in case my partner braked suddenly.

The electric frying pan is also good for frying eggs to make tuna salad sandwiches, and for adding into the fried rice; or just egg sandwiches. It's also good for frying meat, like chicken breast, to put in a salad as well. A toaster would probably be good for the bread on the sandwiches too.

We used either toilet paper or paper towels to wipe the skillet kleen. If some food is burned on the pan, just pour a glass of water in pan, turn the heat on, and gently scrape at it with the pancake turner. Then pour out the waste water into a large wide-mouth jar, and wipe the pan clean with napkins.

I guess a person could cook the meat ahead of time, at home, so it doesn't spoil as easily. Cut it up into pieces, bag it and store it in the frig. Then later, you you can use it for tacos, chicken helper, ect.

I don't care that much for ground meat anymore, because you never know what they may be grinding up in it. It's also not good to eat meat with blood in it, because the blood carries toxins and wastes away from the invividual cells, so I try to eat chicken breast, if I eat any meat. I don't mind tuna either.

I'm on a break from the road right now, but when I go back, my rice cooker and electric frying pan are coming with me!

I found some recipes on the internet for making granola bars and power bars, which are very good, if there's not enough time to cook.

I've also obtained a couple of food dehydrators, for dehydrating fruits like apples and mangos, ect, for making and storing up munchies to snack on while driving late at night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-10-2006, 03:21 AM
Rookie

I have a micro wave oven and a couple of electric coolers.
Here are some of the staples I take with me:
Egg beaters
Hard boiled eggs
Apples
Frozen veggies and stir fry peppers (they do thaw but that's OK)
Corn and whole wheat tortillas
Pre-cooked grains and brown rice
Teryaki sauce
frozen fruit
Milk/juice
Shredded lettuce
Cherry tomatoes
dry cereals ie. All Bran, Shredded Wheat
Baker potatos
Tofu
Salsa
Lots of different seasonings.
It's amazing what you can do with a few simple ingredients. I hardly ever eat outside of the truck and keep myself lean and healthy.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:38 PM
greeniect
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

responding (lately) to mtdewr's queries --

get the George Foreman G5 grill -- it does it all.

and what it doesn't do, the Warm & Toasty oven from Sharp handles. it's a toaster oven, and a microwave. $118 from Wallyworld Online.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniect

and what it doesn't do, the Warm & Toasty oven from Sharp handles. it's a toaster oven, and a microwave. $118 from Wallyworld Online.
I looked for specs on this grill to determine if one of my 200 watt inverter (all Scneider will allow) could handle it but no luck.
Do you know how much it draws on high?
Thanks,
Randy
Old 10-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB53
Quote:

I looked for specs on this grill to determine if one of my 200 watt inverter (all Scneider will allow) could handle it but no luck.
Thanks,
Randy
You aren't going to be able to run any cooking appliances on a 200 Watt inverter.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:57 AM
Rookie

Not what I wanted to hear but thanks Rev.
Randy
Old 10-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Rookie

oops sorry bout the double post...anyone else having problems using Opera?
Old 11-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB53
Quote:

Thanks,
Randy

Get atleast some 4 gauge wire I used 0 gauge but it's not necessary . Go to a stereo shop , and you will be able to get a set up that will allow you to easily and safely attach heavy gauge wire to the battery terminals quickly ,but securely ...This will allow you to remove it quickly and place your invertor and wiring in a duffle bag when you head to a terminal . If your going to mount the invertor mount it in a place that doesn't have anything flamable that will contact the invertor , and mount it so that the heat sinking can disipate heat when in use . I think most companies have ant-inertor rules ...But I think most drivers have them any way , as we need to cook , and the 10-15 amp accessory out lets don't allow for much electrical cooking appliances... I also had a small propane grill...not supposed to have those either on a truck , But it's no different tha carrying one on an RV ...
Old 11-23-2006, 03:18 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
I also had a small propane grill...not supposed to have those either on a truck

Says who?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
I also had a small propane grill...not supposed to have those either on a truck

Says who?

Was told this in orientation last year . I was also told it against company poliocy ,and was against the law ...I didn't see the logic in it ,so I went right ahead and brought my propane grill .