User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY LIFE AS BEING A TRUCK DRIVERS WIFE!

MY HUSBAND HAS ONLY BEEN A TRUCK DRIVER FOR 3 MONTHS. I THOUGHT I COULD HANDLE IT BUT THE TRANSITION FEELS TO OVERWHELMING AT TIMES. I JUST WANT TO CRY. I FEEL SO ALONE! I RECENTLY HAD OUR SECOND CHILD. HE IS 3 MONTHS OLD. MY HUSBAND WAS NOT ABLE TO MAKE THE DELIVERY FOR BEING OUT ON THE ROAD. OUR DAUGHTER IS 4. I FOUND THIS SITE LOOKING FOR SUPPORT BECAUSE NONE OF OUR FAMILY KNOWS WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH AND CANNOT GIVE ME THE SUPPORT I NEED. ANY ADVICE ON THINGS I CAN DO TO NOT FEEL SO SAD AND DWELL ON HIM BEING GONE ALL THE TIME?
Old 06-28-2004, 06:35 AM

Hello Goodin4,
What you are feeling is normal. I to went through the same thing when my husband started driving despite the fact that I was raised in the industry. Do you do any hobbies that can keep you busy while your husband is on the road? Keeping busy can sure help pass the time. Things will get easier. Feel free to contact me. I keep my self pretty busy while my husband is on the road feel free to check out my site there is more about me on there. There is also a recipe page on there with a link to my other site that has more recipes. All the recipes can be made either at home or in the truck. Hope this has helped.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:00 PM

Goodin4

There is a support line at www.loads.org that is great. It is a group of driver family members that are or have gone through exactly what you are experiencing. They are very helpful, supportive and will always be there for you. Check them out.

The first few months are the hardest. Give yourself a chance to get through a little further before throwing in the towel.

Good luck to you and your family.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Rookie

I know exactly how you feel. My husband has been OTR for over 3 years now. At first, I was devestated. I gained over 40 lbs and went into a deep depression. I finally decided to get my life back on track and now I have a job (working from home 90% of the time) and I exercise daily (it helps loads with stress) and I have found that our relationship is better now that we don't see each other that much. I actually like being alone now, per se. It definitely takes some getting used to but try to stick it out a bit longer and get yourself involved with something just for YOU that makes YOU feel good. Take care!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Rookie

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for providing the link for LOADS.org!!

I visit the forum on a daily (if not hourly) basis...since Jim has just left for orientation, this is ALL so new to me and the support has been FANTASTIC!

THANKS!!
Old 07-20-2004, 09:12 PM
Rookie
Default Helping hand for truck drivers' wives!

I'm starting a networking/support group for the wives of truck drivers across the country. Being a truckers wife is not required to join the group. The only requirement is that you believe in supporting truckdrivers! My dad was a truckdriver for many years with CF.

If you are interested - give me a call. The number is toll free.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:39 PM

hello ladies and some fellows i suppose...
ive been on the road, driving a tour bus for a band... ive been doing concerts for 14 years and driving for the band for several years...
my wife and i have been married for 8 years and have a 7 year old son...

to let you know how my wife deals with me being gone for weeks at a time...
once i came home, arrived in my driveway around 3am *morning* to find a roll of carpet in my garage... i was like, what tha? i open my front door to a HUGE surprise... WOOD FLOORS...
my wife had pulled up all the carpet in our living room and had hard wood floors installed...

another time i came home and found my computer room/office, paited and redecorated!!! it was awesome to me...

not long ago i came home to find new floor in our kitchen *looks awesome* and cabinets painted... i was like WOW!!!

i just got home this past weekend to find that our washer and dryer had been sold, and a brand new stackable washer and dryer installed... the living room was in top shape and rearranged from the last time i was home... and the bathroom had been painted with new shower curtains and faucet handles..

my wife is great... she gets her mind off me being away and just fixes broken stuff around the house and paints and so on and so on...

i tell her, i dont care what you do to the house, its all yours... just dont make me paint and im all good... hehehehe

maybe this will help other ladies that get lonley and need to get their mind on other things... plus, with my 7 year old, shes got her hands full tryin to keep him from burning the place down... hehehe

good luck
Tinman
Old 10-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Rookie
Default LOCAL DRIVER JOBS ONCE YOU GET THE EXPERIENCE

Well there are a lot of good paying local driver jobs out there once you get the experience... I am hoping to do that one day myself.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I understand what you are going through, but remember your husband needs you to be stronger than ever. He has embark on a new job that is very stressfull on a new driver. His mind needs to be at ease so he can fully concentrate on his job. LOADS is a great place to ease your fears and for support.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Rookie

You get use to it, and you learn to be independant. It 's actually good for the both of you, and you appreciate your time together so much more. I know it's difficult, but life is full of sacrifices, and it will get better.