Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   Kenan Advantage goes Union (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/40279-kenan-advantage-goes-union.html)

Mackman 08-20-2010 09:39 PM

Kenan Advantage goes Union

GOOD FOR THEM!!!!:thumbsup:

KAG West Tankhaul Workers Vote Teamsters Yes! | International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT)

The workers formed their union to address several key issues. They want to receive fair wages and better benefits that reflect their skills and training. The company recently cut the workers’ hourly wage by $1.91. Workers also want improved safety, to get paid time and one half for working more than eight hours a day or 40 hours per week, and are seeking paid breaks and lunches that workers are entitled to receive. They also want to get paid for all time worked in the service of the employer, and get treated with respect, dignity and fairness by management.

Mr. Ford95 08-20-2010 11:07 PM

Paid to eat? No wonder this country is going to the crapper. They cut their wages by nearly $2 an hour and these guys are angry? Be glad they have an f-ing job being in Cali. I get the time and a half for over 40 hours, I thought by law that HAD to be paid if you were hourly unless they classify their drivers as seasonal or part-time. I went thru that at another job, they were able to skirt the federal wage law of not paying OT because they classified all but core staff as seasonal/part-time since we only worked from March to November. During the working season it was not uncommon for me to put in 60-70 hours a week as a Super.

Mackman 08-20-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 485406)
Paid to eat? .

Thats a 1st for me too. Every union job i have ever knowed never gave paid lunch breaks. You got a lunch break that wasnt paid. But you did get a 15min break in the morning around 930 and that is paid.

Mackman 08-20-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 485406)
They cut their wages by nearly $2 an hour and these guys are angry?

Do you blame them?? Who wants to take a pay cut??

Last months issue of bulk transporter had in it that KAG was raising all their rates cuz work is picking up big time. So if they are raising rates and are getting alot of work i think it is fair they pass alittle to the driver.

http://bulktransporter.com/managemen...616/index.html

The Kenan Advantage Group Inc (KAG) has announced that its Fuels Delivery Group will seek a rate increase of 3% for all non-contract customers effective July 1, 2010. KAG’s contractual customers will be addressed on an account-by-account basis.

Orangetxguy 08-21-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 485401)
GOOD FOR THEM!!!!:thumbsup:

KAG West Tankhaul Workers Vote Teamsters Yes! | International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT)

The workers formed their union to address several key issues. They want to receive fair wages and better benefits that reflect their skills and training. The company recently cut the workers’ hourly wage by $1.91. Workers also want improved safety, to get paid time and one half for working more than eight hours a day or 40 hours per week, and are seeking paid breaks and lunches that workers are entitled to receive. They also want to get paid for all time worked in the service of the employer, and get treated with respect, dignity and fairness by management.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: THAT is what KAG get's for hiring all those former BP/ARCO drivers!! Serves em right!! :clap: :clap:

Mr. Ford95 08-21-2010 11:55 AM

See I didn't know that Mack, on the wage deal with them also jacking up rates. Right on that, if your jacking up rates and making big profits then why are you cutting your people's pay? If they had not jacked up their rates then my comment would stand, be glad you got a job right now instead of complaining about a $2 pay cut. I saw a $3-4 pay cut for 8 months and yes, I didn't like it but I was still able to pay my bills and I still had a job. I was given a choice, take a pay cut or get laid off.

RostyC 08-21-2010 12:22 PM

From the article:

Quote:

“This victory is for the drivers and mechanics, our families, our rights on the job and our dignity,” said Javier Luevano, a KAG West driver.
Javier, your dignity rests upon your own actions in life. Not whether your company is union or not. Why not quit and go find something better.

Quote:

“It feels good to be a Teamster.”
We'll see. The honeymoon is just starting.

Quote:

“We will build on this victory and organize more professional tankhaul drivers across the country.”
Sounds great, we can look forward to overpaying for more goods and services so these jackasses get a paid lunch.

Quote:

“This victory feels great—our hard work paid off,” said Luis Carcamo, a driver. “We look forward to negotiating a contract that will provide fair wages, respect, and a contract that will give us a brighter future.”
Respect is earned, not provided through a contract. Why doesn't he provide himself a brighter future? What a clown.

Quote:

The workers formed their union to address several key issues. They want to receive fair wages and better benefits that reflect their skills and training. The company recently cut the workers’ hourly wage by $1.91. Workers also want improved safety, to get paid time and one half for working more than eight hours a day or 40 hours per week, and are seeking paid breaks and lunches that workers are entitled to receive.
Where to start. They're probably receiving wages that the market will bear. It's a true lack of understanding of how market forces work. They got their wage cut for a reason (it's the economy stupid!), and like was said above they're lucky to have a job right now. I don't understand overtime for over eight hours a day, over forty yeah but not eight.

Entitled to paid lunches........ :rofl:

Quote:

They also want to get paid for all time worked in the service of the employer, and get treated with respect, dignity and fairness by management.
If you want to get treated with respect, dignity and fairness by management you have to earn it not demand it. In other words take care of the equipment like it's your own, good customer relations, present yourself well etc..... If you do all that and you feel like you're not getting treated well, then leave and find something else, or create your livelihood, but don't ball like a little b**ch for some one to save you.

geeshock 08-21-2010 01:32 PM

if they had to jack rates up they should have bare minimum kept the drivers pay the same. I may not be a big union fan but owners beware, you don't treat your employees right you'll eather loose them, or find your company has gone union.

RostyC 08-21-2010 01:44 PM

It said that they boosted they're rates 3% for non contractual customers only. I think it was done to attract people to enter a contract.

Mackman 08-21-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeshock (Post 485453)
I may not be a big union fan but owners beware, you don't treat your employees right you'll eather loose them, or find your company has gone union.

It is as easy as that. I know of a couple company's that told the union to go pound sand. Cuz the company's were already giving them a good deal. If a company is so good they will never have to worry about going union.