Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   Companies With Their Own School (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/37092-companies-their-own-school.html)

Paul The Trucker 02-12-2009 02:05 AM

Companies With Their Own School

Does anyone know if US Express or any other company has their own school that will make sure you can drive (not Swift) but not be willing to fail you for a small mistake? My wife is thinking about going so we could team and I would train her too but it seems some places just push you through as long as the check clears and we don't want that. Thanks.

deputydog 02-16-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul The Trucker (Post 438318)
Does anyone know if US Express or any other company has their own school that will make sure you can drive (not Swift) but not be willing to fail you for a small mistake? My wife is thinking about going so we could team and I would train her too but it seems some places just push you through as long as the check clears and we don't want that. Thanks.

I know that USXpresss closed their school about 4 years ago. I just read where Schneider is closing their last one and hiring only experienced drivers. My guess is that, for liabiliy reasons, most are using independant schools. You can usually find out by checking the web page(s) of schools. They like to promote their affiliation with trucking companies as a way of attracting students.

Because of long term payback/contracts at these schools, you might also check into Community Colleges near you. Some offer very good training for less, and without the payback/contract hanging over your head for a year of two. This could be especially attractive if your company will allow her to "train" under you.

Uturn2001 02-16-2009 11:38 AM

Are you an experienced driver yourself? If so you might want to check with JR Schugel. At one time at least, they had a train the spouse program. What the deal was that after you had been satisfactorily employed there for a few months you could train your spouse and all s/he needed was a permit. You ran as a solo driver for several weeks and then Shugel would let you use your assigned truck and a trailer to take the state skills test and once your spouse had a CDL you would run as a team.

Of course you spouse would have to meet all the other hiring requirements, except for the CDL and experience, and pass a DOT physical before training would commence.

Other than that the only company I know of that basically has its own school anymore is Millis. Everyone else that I know that will exchange a work contract for school uses those 2 or 3 week wonder courses through various schools around the country.