User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2015, 05:03 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Why did you choose a career driving? Advice for the younger generation?

Why did you choose a career driving? Why should the younger generation consider a career as a truck driver and what advice do you have for them?
Old 11-28-2015, 02:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadscholar88 View Post
Why did you choose a career driving? Why should the younger generation consider a career as a truck driver and what advice do you have for them?
My advise would be, get a good education so you have to be a truck driver because if I could do it all over again I wouldn't of chose this profession.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:25 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have a good education, but decided to drive a truck anyway. In my situation I can do something else, but chose to drive a truck. I would not recommend this industry to everyone. It isn't a lifestyle that some can endure. The positives are that you can still work as long as your mvr is clean and you can pass the physical. With most career choices, you are put out to pasture when you get to a certain age. I have met drivers in their 80's who are still driving. Trucking is one of the most regulated industries in the country. But, we deal with things as they come along. With trucking, you have an opportunity to start earning an above average income after only a few weeks training. If you enjoy driving, traveling and being alone with your thoughts, then it can be a good career choice. I would still recommend anyone who has the opportunity to first get a good education. It is always good to have a fallback plan.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Board Icon

There are a lot more, A LOT, of drivers today with an education than ever before. It's not necessary to have a college degree but why not? It's an excellent fall back if driving doesn't work out for you. People are tired of the typical office setting, me, I would rather be in a normal office setting at times. Days in the winter when its raining/snowing and cold......

I didn't choose to drive, I like driving, but my company needed a driver. I got training and my CDL on the company dime! Some of us don't have a choice, its all there is for a job outside of working in a coal mine or such. Depends on the area you live in, may not be such a thing as a normal 9-5 job.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Let me clarify a bit, I enjoy driving a lot, but the garbage out of D.C over the last 30 years of my career is sickening making every encounter with law enforcement adversarial and just have gotten tired of the overreach and regulation by d bag politicians who wouldn't know their a** from a hole in the ground.