LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2015, 02:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Happy Fourth of July

Happy Birthday, America. I wonder how many people think about what the 4th of July actually means? I think most only think about barbeque, cooking out or spending time with the family. I agree, but I can't help but think about all the people who have sacrificed so much to create this country and to preserve our freedom. I wish everyone a happy and safe holiday. There will be crazies out on the roads. Enjoy the holiday. For those who must traverse the highways during this weekend, I hope you can find some barbeque or see some fireworks to celebrate. Several years ago, I recall pulling on the side of the road as I was traveling through Victorville, CA. They had a really nice fireworks display. This would be a time for use to come together as a country and to put our differences aside. It is a time to consider what we have in common and what brings us together.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Today, I have been giving a lot of thought about our country, what it has meant to me and many millions of others who have come before us. e me. How this country has changed during my lifetime. It has changed so much in the last 6 years, so much so that it is hardly recognizable. Some people seem to look for a reason to be offended. There is a move to destroy our history. The past is so important to the future. We can learn from our past or make the same mistakes as our ancestors. People can't seem to tolerate anyone who disagrees with their views. The first amendment is probably the most critical to our freedom, other that perhaps the second. If we are afraid to speak out then our republic is truly lost. It would be nice if everyone agreed with us. But, it would also be pretty boring.

We have a president and many in elected office who are attempting to undermine our basic values and principle's. Our freedom of speech, freedom to worship and to protect those freedoms along with others under the second amendment is under siege. Terrorists are defacing and attacking historic monuments and flags in the name of racism. They want to blame granite and cloth for their problems and to hide behind their own racism. We used to welcome opposing views in this country. Those who disagree with the far left are now being attacked and belittled to shut down any opposition. America has always been a beacon for freedom in the world. Unfortunately, I don't think that is longer the case.

I am surprised that Walmart has decided to no longer sell the Confederate flag. I stopped at my local Walmart the other day and was told that they never sold the Confederate flag at that particular store. Even Nascar has decided to not have any cars in their race with the Confederate flag on them. I just read this morning that they are asking fans to NOT have flags at the races. The Confederate flag has been part of Nascar ever since I can remember. Who do these people think there fans are anyway? Maybe, those who support the Confederate flag and what it represents should take their money elsewhere. The same with Walmart or other companies who have decided to go along with a very small minority who are offended by the Stars and Bars.

I read an article this morning about a Confederate monument in Birmingham for the last 110 years is now under attack and the mayor wants to have it moved. Similar things are taking place across the country. But, it seems that the south and our heritage is most under attack. For those who didn't grow up in the South, you may not understand about pride and the independent spirit of native born southerners. Most southerners are not illiterate or bigoted, contrary to stereotypes. Most don't consider the Confederate flag as something that is racist. In fact, if they knew their history they might be more supportive of the flag. A poll showed that 89% of people surveyed considered the flag as something that demonstrated pride, not racism. But, some people believe whatever they are told be those who would destroy this country.

The thirteen states that seceded from the union left to form their own government as a last resort to a tyrannical and oppressive federal government. We are seeing the same thing today. The reason we celebrate the 4th of July is to remember our separation from a previous tyrannical government in 1776. We are now being faced with another tyrannical government and states and citizens are going to shortly have to make some decisions as to what kind of country they will leave to their descendents. A time is coming where the people of this country will need to decide whether they will live under tyranny or as free citizens.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:37 AM

thank you GMAN
I agree wholeheartedly with you buddy.
The South seems to still be under attack.All of a sudden,all these politicians are so concerned with the Rebel Flag,why wasn`t they before?I say they are trying to gain political points but they are committing political suicide down South.

I have thought some on freedom today.I have thought of my Dad a lot who was in WW2 and ended up a POW for 2 1/2 years.

I guess he did pay a price for our freedom and I am glad.While inside the POW camp in Germany,he ran across a man from Memphis,Tn.Olin Pickens.
When the war was over,they stayed in touch the rest of their lives.Every Christmas they exchanged Christmas cards.
At my Dad`s funeral in 1990,there was flowers from Olin.45 years they stayed friends until Dad died.I think of friendship on July 4th also.

Freedom and Friendship.

Have a great day everyone
Old 07-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I've never given the Bars N Stars much thought till recently and I still don't care much about it. But what pisses me off about it is that a group of people are using their 1st amendment rights to over ride another groups rights. And that just isn't right! (no pun intended)
If you look around you'll see the same thing happening in other aspects and most people either don't see it or see it thru rose colored glasses or it benefits them so to hell with everyone else. When do you think we'll see the first rainbow flag on a Nascar? Think that driver will be forced to remove it? I'm sure not, after all it's a sign of diversity not "hate". Most people have absolutely no idea about some of the history of the confederate flag, they think it stood for slavery but in reality it didn't get a bad 'rep' till the KKK and people like (Dem)Sen. Byrd . (KKK grand wizard) used it.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 07-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

WrongwayTommy, I am grateful to your dad and others who fought to keep our country free. Things have certainly changed since WWII. Growing up in the 50's and 60's, everyone I knew had friends and family who fought in that war. I think about their sacrifices and others before them and how they fought to keep our democracy alive, only to have this generation to throw it all away. I doubt any of them would recognize what has become of this country. Christians and those who love liberty are under constant attack by those would would rule over us. I still remember the first time I recall Obama speaking. He said something about he was ready to "rule from day one." I thought it odd and very telling about his character. It went unnoticed by media, but I have thought about his statement often since. Every president during my lifetime has always said they were ready to "lead" or something similar. Obama is the only one who said "rule." That is exactly what has happened under his tenure in office. It is very sad and of great concern to me that so many in different levels of government have gone along with his agenda. Congress seems impotent to act in the interests of this nation.

With all the flack over the Confederate flag, I am reminded of how history is repeating itself. Most people are not away of the real reason for the Civil War or events leading up to the southern states seceding from the Union. We were all taught in school that the war was fought to free the slaves. That was not true. Like Obama, Lincoln was a proponent of high taxes and a strong centralized federal government. The South was primarily an agricultural area and wanted to sell their crop, mostly cotton, on the free market. Lincoln wanted to force them to sell within the U.S. at a lower price and to impose high taxes on their crops. Southern states balked and eventually seceded from the union. This is the simplified version of events. Those who seceded were strong proponents of states rights. They understood that a strong centralized federal government would be more oppressive to their freedom and would put us on a wrong path. Lincoln wanted to preserve the union. That is the primary reason he sent troops to Baltimore (to stop elections to secede) and then to South Carolina. Essentially, Lincoln sent in federal troops to invade a sovereign state. If you read some of Lincoln's writings he went to war to preserve the union, not to free the slaves. In fact, I recall one writing where he stated that if he could preserve the union without freeing the slaves, he would do so. I am paraphrasing. Later, around 1883, Lincoln announced the Emancipation Proclamation, which only freed slaves in the Confederacy (southern states). That was later expanded when Lincoln needed more soldiers to fight the South. You see, slaves were not just in the South, as many believe. They were all over the country. Slavery was wrong from the beginning, but that was not the reason for the Civil War.

Lincoln was a tyrant, like Obama. That war cost over 600,000 Americans their lives. Lincoln essentially declared war on America and should have been tried for war crimes. In today's world, he might. However, he is touted as a hero that freed the slaves from the mean, racist South. Most people living and fighting in the South were not slave owners. Not all slave owners were white. There were also black slave owners and some blacks also fought for the Confederacy. That is an inconvenient truth for those who suggest that the South is made up of white, slave owning racists. While there are and were some who could be considered racists, that was not the case for all of them. Like most other Americans, I had family who fought on both sides of that war. It was a difficult time for this country. The South was burned, pillaged and private property was stolen and people were assaulted, raped and killed. Yet, Lincoln is revered and the South is vilified. Those in the southern states were essentially trying to protect themselves from an invading army.

To me, the Confederate flag represents freedom from tyranny. It is a reminder that there was a time when people stood up to a tyrannical government in an effort to preserve their country and freedoms. It is part of our history and should be preserved and remembered.

There is a movement in this country to destroy any remnants of our history and replace it with their own. I am amazed at how attitudes have changed in my lifetime. But, we may be getting closer to a breaking point where good people will finally begin to speak out. All of our basic values are being challenged. This country was founded based upon Jedeo-Christian values. Laws and values were respected. Human life had value and people respected one another. During the time I grew up most people attended church on a regular basis. It was the center of social interaction in most communities. We said the Lord's Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in school. You can not hardly mention God or Jesus in public without being criticized or called names.

We are witnessing the breakdown of our society. It is imploding before our very eyes. People are looking around and don't understand how it could have happened. Others don't seem to see a problem. Morality and those who have values have been under attack for years, but it is now getting much worse. A baker was fined $135,000 and put out of business for not wanting to bake a cake for a couple of homosexuals because it violated their religious beliefs. There have been other instances with similar outcomes for the Christians. Walmart and other stores have decided to not sell a historic flag (the Confederate Battle Flag), but will bake a cake for ISIS and sell T-shirts pushing the communist agenda. Even Nascar has taken down the Confederate Flag, long a symbolic with Nascar. The Supreme Court just created a new right out of thin air and yet will rule against those who make decisions using their religion as their defense. Religious liberty is an actual guaranteed right in our Constitution. It is in the First Amendment.

Whether someone likes the Confederate Flag or not, it should be protected as our Constitution guarantees our right to free speech and expression. There are even some who are now calling for the elimination of the American Flag, because they consider it racist. I believe we are at a turning point in this country. Either we stand up to tyranny or submit. To me, the choice is simple.