User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2014, 05:04 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Demand more!

Stop paying for parking and internet at truck stops. We drop on average 800 bucks a week on fuel and cant get free internet? Now certain places are charging to park. If you demand more you will get more. We keep these places in business. Im certain if no driver stopped at the petro in Atlanta for a week or two they would not charge to park.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Why do you think they charge for parking? Yeah the make money but that huge lot costs money to maintain and besides that your free to park elsewhere. What you can't find any other place to park? Maybe thats why they charge and get it! Supply and demand just like freight rates and employee payroll.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 12-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree with repete. Obviously, big trucks do burn a lot of fuel, but fuel sales aren't the profit centers for truck stops. Their profits are in the the sale of beverages, grab-n-go food, and general merchandise in the stores. Few people seem to understand that for businesses large and small, revenue may come in dollars, but for the most part, profits come in the forms of pennies, and fractions of pennies. On the other hand, shrinkage is found in forms of fractions of pennies, pennies, and dollars.

Add to it, maintaining an asphalt parking lot is horrendously expensive, and big trucks put a lot of wear on them. While the price of crude oil has dropped recently, the high prices of oil over the past several years has only made maintenance of those asphalt lots even more expensive. Additionally, when trying to back into a space in a crowded lot at night, driver's want those lots to be well lit. That requires something called electricity, which doesn't come cheap, either.

The real estate upon which those truck stops sit is usually sold by the front-foot or by the square foot, and it's very costly. Then, there are matters of property taxes and insurance premiums that must be paid. If most drivers knew what those taxes run each year, they would either choke, or else they would refuse to believe it. This is especially true in places like Atlanta, Chicago, California, or the Eastern Seaboard.

I don't know what's happening now, but back when I ran OTR, (about a decade ago) the truck stops that charged for parking (at least the ones that I used) would wave the parking fee with a purchase of $10.00 of merchandise from their store-fronts. I never had a problem with that. I'd rather spend a few bucks on stuff that I need or want in order to be able to park in a clean, safe, and well maintained truck stop, than park in a filthy, run down rat hole in order to save a few bucks.

Last edited by Useless; 12-18-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Every truck stop that I've seen that charges for parking will waive that charge if you buy x gallons of fuel, or spend so much in the store and/or restaurant.
As for internet, I usually use truck stop points IF I use their internet.