Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanker (Gas Hauling Jobs)

Mackman is offline Senior Board Member

Default Tanker (Gas Hauling Jobs)

I applied at Sunoco once again. I was on there website and saw they had a job opening in Philly PA. What is a good hourly rate for yanking gas. I think the pay is very good $23.07 to $24.38 an hour. OT after 40 and a very nice benefit package. Here is the link to the job thing. https://sunoco.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-b...cgi?jobid=4857

Should i give them like 2-3 days and maybe call them. Or just wait for them to contact me(if they even do). I really need a job. I been laid off since 1/1/09. My boss called and said he got 2 jobs coming up starting in 1-2weeks. But the job i have now pays no where near as good as sunoco. I only get 18/hr now.

I have pulled tankers for about 2 years but i never hauled any hazmat stuff. Since i got my hazmat i never even used it yet. The only reason i got it some of you may remember i was trying to get a job at Pyle a while back. I had a friend that used to work at sunoco but the dumb ass got popped on a drug test so he got fired.

Anyway what is the best thing for me to do to get this job?

Thanks
    Mackman
    Last edited by Mackman; 03-26-2009 at 05:21 PM.
    Truck Driving an occupation consisting of hours of boredom interrupted by sheer terror!!

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Biscuit Lips is offline Board Regular

I can not offer any prudent advice, but GOOD LUCK I hope you get that job.:thumbsup:

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.

Orangetxguy is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
    I applied at Sunoco once again. I was on there website and saw they had a job opening in Philly PA. What is a good hourly rate for yanking gas. I think the pay is very good $23.07 to $24.38 an hour. OT after 40 and a very nice benefit package. Here is the link to the job thing. https://sunoco.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-b...cgi?jobid=4857

Should i give them like 2-3 days and maybe call them. Or just wait for them to contact me(if they even do). I really need a job. I been laid off since 1/1/09. My boss called and said he got 2 jobs coming up starting in 1-2weeks. But the job i have now pays no where near as good as sunoco. I only get 18/hr now.

I have pulled tankers for about 2 years but i never hauled any hazmat stuff. Since i got my hazmat i never even used it yet. The only reason i got it some of you may remember i was trying to get a job at Pyle a while back. I had a friend that used to work at sunoco but the dumb ass got popped on a drug test so he got fired.

Anyway what is the best thing for me to do to get this job.

Thanks
    Mackman

Mack dude....Get your Yankee butt into the Philly terminal and do a face to face chat! The website app may be ok...but face to face chatting works better. Don't let your lack of HazMat experience worry you. Oil companies prefer some experience yes.
    However, Sun may well accept the tank experience you have, plus the rest of your driving experience, in a face to face conversation. They can teach you their method of fuel delivery and habits...and not have to over come a Carriers taught habits.
    Just reading your website App, could get you rejected. In a face to face conversation, they will see your personal demeanor, and get a better feel for you. Look up the terminal number, and call them. Ask to speak with the truck boss. Make an appointment...and be there exactly on time or a few minutes early...not one second late.

That is a good long term job for a young guy like you.
    Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
    Mack dude....Get your Yankee butt into the Philly terminal and do a face to face chat! The website app may be ok...but face to face chatting works better. Don't let your lack of HazMat experience worry you. Oil companies prefer some experience yes.
    However, Sun may well accept the tank experience you have, plus the rest of your driving experience, in a face to face conversation. They can teach you their method of fuel delivery and habits...and not have to over come a Carriers taught habits.
    Just reading your website App, could get you rejected. In a face to face conversation, they will see your personal demeanor, and get a better feel for you. Look up the terminal number, and call them. Ask to speak with the truck boss. Make an appointment...and be there exactly on time or a few minutes early...not one second late.

That is a good long term job for a young guy like you.
    That is a great idea. The old fashion way. Why didn't i think of that:banghead:. I know were that terminal is in Philly. I will take a ride down there 2morrow since i ain't got nothing better to do. About 20-30min from my house.

They do have a closer terminal to me. But they ain't looking for drivers right now. I know you can do walk in apps. at that terminal. So i will give the Belmont terminal a try. How does the Hourly wage look for that job with the benefits??? I think it sounds good but i have no idea how much gas haulers make.
    Truck Driving an occupation consisting of hours of boredom interrupted by sheer terror!!

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Jumbo is offline Senior Board Member

What ever you dont put your friend down as a reference.
    Don't trust anybody. Especially that guy in the mirror.

That is a great idea. The old fashion way. Why didn't i think of that:banghead:. I know were that terminal is in Philly. I will take a ride down there 2morrow since i ain't got nothing better to do. About 20-30min from my house.

They do have a closer terminal to me. But they ain't looking for drivers right now. I know you can do walk in apps. at that terminal. So i will give the Belmont terminal a try. How does the Hourly wage look for that job with the benefits??? I think it sounds good but i have no idea how much gas haulers make.
    That wage is right in there with what most are paying right now. If you look at the Revere MA posting, you will see they have a bit mre of a spread.

If they do not blow you off, and actually take you on...expect to start at a slightly lower wage...maybe what your making right now. Usually, if they train you up, that is what companies like to do. Start you at the "rookie" wage, then work you up to "journey" wage, based on your aptitude.

It make take you two years to actually reach "journey", but in two years that wage may also be up to as much as $25.50 an hour, depending on circumstances. Also...they may have a differential wage for working nights.

The big thing will be...How you present yourself. Go in looking, talking and acting like a professional. :thumbsup:

As for doing it tomorrow...Call them first. Fridays are usually not a good day to be talking to terminal managers about jobs. Tuesday is the best day. Call in the morning and see what they have to say. Advance warning that you want to talk with them about a job, works in your favor. Remember...this is a "secure" facility you are going to.
    Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    What ever you don't put your friend down as a reference.
    Oh i wont that is for sure. I wouldn't really call him my friend. He is more or less a guy i know that i went to high school with. The only reason i know he got fried is cuz i seen him at the blacktop plant driving a dump truck. Then we got talking and he told me.

That wage is right in there with what most are paying right now. If you look at the Revere MA posting, you will see they have a bit mre of a spread.

If they do not blow you off, and actually take you on...expect to start at a slightly lower wage...maybe what your making right now. Usually, if they train you up, that is what companies like to do. Start you at the "rookie" wage, then work you up to "journey" wage, based on your aptitude.

It make take you two years to actually reach "journey", but in two years that wage may also be up to as much as $25.50 an hour, depending on circumstances. Also...they may have a differential wage for working nights.

The big thing will be...How you present yourself. Go in looking, talking and acting like a professional. :thumbsup:

As for doing it tomorrow...Call them first. Fridays are usually not a good day to be talking to terminal managers about jobs. Tuesday is the best day. Call in the morning and see what they have to say. Advance warning that you want to talk with them about a job, works in your favor. Remember...this is a "secure" facility you are going to.
    Great advice. It means alot. I will let you guys know what happens. Maybe i will wait intill Tuesday and give them a call. Maybe in the meantime they will call me.

Here is a green mark for ya:thumbsup:

It's a good thing I am not in that area...You might have to compete with me for that job!!! 16 years of gas station deliveries under my belt...30 of hazmat tank work!

I don't want to gas deliveries anymore...that is why I pull chemical tanks around!! Good luck young man...and be determined to get their job. That means talking with them frequently. You may even be pointed at a "Carrier" by them, to get some delivery experience..before they will hire you. Don't dis them for something like that..take them at face value, and take their hint.

Damn i cant give you a green mark again cuz it said i just gave you one not to long ago. WTF Heres one for you jumbo and BL

Great advice. It means alot. I will let you guys know what happens. Maybe i will wait intill Tuesday and give them a call. Maybe in the meantime they will call me.

Here is a green mark for ya:thumbsup:
    Mack dude! Go ahead and call them tomorrow! Nothing wrong with doing that! Explain that you have done the website app....but wanted to chat Mano-a-Mano, at their convenience!!!! Make yourself look good! :thumbsup:

It's a good thing I am not in that area...You might have to compete with me for that job!!! 16 years of gas station deliveries under my belt...30 of hazmat tank work!
    LMAO With a record like yours i dont think anyone in philly would get that job.:thumbsup:

Mack dude! Go ahead and call them tomorrow! Nothing wrong with doing that! Explain that you have done the website app....but wanted to chat Mano-a-Mano, at their convenience!!!! Make yourself look good! :thumbsup:
    Will Do. Im looking on there site right now for phone numbers.

mike3fan is offline Senior Board Member

I've been in and around Philly alot, delivering gas at night around there sounds fun!
    "I love college football. It's the only time of year you can walk down the street with a girl in one arm and a blanket in the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." --Duffy Daugherty

Quote Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
    I've been in and around Philly alot, delivering gas at night around there sounds fun!
    Yeah...he needs to learn somewhere...right??

Try this number maybe there Mack-dude?

Sunoco Inc

10 Industrial Hwy
    Philadelphia, PA 19113
    • (610) 521-0481
    Maybe it is the right one...maybe not...otherwise..work through the switch board at Corporate...maybe they will be nice and give you the terminal number...or address.

Philly does suck. I hate driving my tri/axle in that cityissedoff: I REALLY hate driving the lowboy in Philly. But for that type of money i will do it. Around 5-7 years ago i a gas tanker driver got robbed at night dropping gas and killed for the lousy 40 dollars in his wallet.

Yeah...he needs to learn somewhere...right??

Try this number maybe there Mack-dude?

Sunoco Inc

10 Industrial Hwy

Philadelphia, PA 19113
    • (610) 521-0481
    Maybe it is the right one...maybe not...otherwise..work through the switch board at Corporate...maybe they will be nice and give you the terminal number...or address.
    Thanks again. I also got this number i found.

Main Office
    Sunoco, Inc.
    1735 Market Street Ste LL
    Philadelphia, PA 19103-7583
    General phone: 215-977-3000
    Fax: 215-977-3409

I will try them all.

Thanks again. I also got this number i found.

Main Office
    Sunoco, Inc.
    1735 Market Street Ste LL
    Philadelphia, PA 19103-7583
    General phone: 215-977-3000
    Fax: 215-977-3409

I will try them all.

That would the receptionist at Corporate!

I goggled the number and address I posted...and it shows out by the airport and river...which would be the right area.

Best of luck!

belpre122 is offline Local Advocate Senior Board Member

Exclamation

The God of Trucking is watching over you Mackdog.:lol:

Make the right move! Stay away from coolie carrier OTR truck driving. Don't be a lemming young Mackdog. Part ways with the apologist/steering wheel holders/lifestyle truckers.........and go make a career for yourself in tankers!

"Work 80-100, log 70, paid 40?" Just say "NO" Mackdog!!! Leave those loads for GMAN and Golfhobo!:lol:
    "Just another OTR coolie carrier. They suck. They ALL suck. Run away from coolie OTR trucking" The Great ColdFrostyMug

Jackrabbit379 is offline Board Icon

:lol:
    Well, it is the city of brotherly love. :hellno:

Mackman, it looks like Orange said everything to be said. :lol: Like he said, I would just walk in the place, and talk to them.

22. This ad will disappear if you login

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast