User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Types of freight.

Well, as everyone knows, the economy has gone to pot.
This thread doesn't mean a whole lot, but I'm just curious about what types of freight is surviving, during this poor economy.

As yall know, I drive for SYSCO. Our sales are down, but the customers are still buying. Luckily, people are still eating. Seems like the grocery buisness keeps going.

I see threads on nearly a daily basis from drivers, asking about certain companies.
It would seem to me that the reefer companies would be able to survive during these times. I would imagine that groceries are always needed.

As I said, this thread probably doesn't make a lot of sense. Being that there are so many drivers that haul different types of freight, what would the best type of freight that would continue to run in this economy?

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
This thread doesn't mean a whole lot, but I'm just curious about what types of freight is surviving, during this poor economy.

As yall know, I drive for SYSCO. Our sales are down, but the customers are still buying. Luckily, people are still eating. Seems like the grocery buisness keeps going.

I see threads on nearly a daily basis from drivers, asking about certain companies.
It would seem to me that the reefer companies would be able to survive during these times. I would imagine that groceries are always needed.

As I said, this thread probably doesn't make a lot of sense. Being that there are so many drivers that haul different types of freight, what would the best type of freight that would continue to run in this economy?
I think reefers will be the best as a far as freight is concerned. The local refinery is expanding so the dump business has picked up A LOT, there is no slow down there at all.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Board Icon

I don't think reefer is a rock solid bet but it's better than the others. Americans are cutting back on how much food they eat. They are eating in smaller portions to help cut the grocery bill from week to week. So freight there is down a tad and it doesn't help that a lot of drivers went to run a reefer because they thought "Hey everyone needs to eat no matter what so freight will always be plenty there." Well, they have an abundance of drivers with a slight bit less freight overall.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Senior Board Member

I would also wonder if endorsement-types would play into the picture.

I've got all of my endorsements except for the passenger-rating, but I'm willing to bet drivers with nothing more than a simple "A" with Air-Brakes and nothing else are having it even harder than the rest.

Aside from food and fuel, it's already been mentioned here and elsewhere that garbage isn't going to stop getting thrown out.

And this one's a long-shot, but demolition companies could be kept busy if vacant homes/buildings go into disrepair so badly, that they need to be torn down, blown up, plowed under.,etc

Along with the garbage, someones going to be hauling the rubble away as well.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Board Icon

As mentioned, reefers are a better bet than general freight right now, and especially construction materials!

Because of the new stimulus package, I would expect to see asphalt and road construction materials picking up. Maybe steel and I-beams for bridges, too. (well before home building materials.)

Personally, I consider myself extremely lucky to have landed a job with FedEx!! There is definitely a societal trend towards "online" purchases, and all that stuff has to be shipped by someone like us. People may be buying less, but they're buying more of that stuff that they're not buying over the internet. :lol2:

But, the guy with the job hauling wind turbine blades and tower sections has the REAL job security! There seems to be no stopping that carnage! In an attempt to not desecrate the natural beauty of our country by drilling for oil or building refineries or burning coal.... they are going to obliterate the view of every majestic purple mountain, waving field of amber grain and spacious sky on this continent!

But, it should be good business for the National Parks cuz, pretty soon that will be the ONLY place we can go to see unfettered nature! :hellno:

Seriously though.... think Infrastructure. Bridges, roads, water mains, power grids and broadband cable. Find those companies, and get your apps in now.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Senior Board Member

I used to drive a honey dipper. As long as people are using a bathroom you will have work:thumbsup: Everyone has an azz.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Any benefit from the stimulus tax will take some time to get started. Much of the money will go for things other than infrastructure, so I understand. I don't believe that most of those funds will be distributed until next year. If that is the case then there will be little benefit during much of this year. However, the psychological benefit of having the package may be enough to move people to begin spending again. Until they put money back into the mortgage markets there will be little benefit that we will likely see. Companies are still finding it difficult to get funding regardless of credit history. Until that is solved the economy and trucking will continue to be in a slump regardless of what you haul.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Board Icon

I don't dispute anything you said, GMAN... and I'm not one who thinks this stimulus bill is perfect. Yes, it will take time for ANY of it to take effect.

My point was to have a "5 year plan" as the Soviets did, (or 4 years here in America.) Look at where the current Administration is heading. See the biggest wave a mile before it gets to the shore, and RIDE IT. Don't wait to see if it trickles onto the beach.

Securing our future in trucking is kinda like playing the stock market. You have to see the TRENDS for new products, services, etc. We're ALL hurting right now, but the first ones to climb out of it will be the ones who've hitched their 'wagons" to the economy that is coming down the road.

Like someone said.... MANY drivers are trying to get into Reefers now, cuz people got to eat. The drivers who saw that a year ago, already HAVE those jobs. Look ahead. Tighten your belt NOW... and make plans to be the first one on the NEXT wave.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:13 AM
Senior Board Member

We have been very lucky. The slow down we encountered was because our main customer had big projects coming out of the plant which slowed the pace at which they could produce. When I got to the yard tonight the loading schedule for this week was mostly booked and a majority of the trailers were already loaded. Providing superior service along with our flexibilty has helped us.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post

The people I drive for obtained several lucrative "beer hauling" contracts last summer. They even bought a Montana reefer beer hauling company that was struggling. We also haul wine for Gallo.
People tend to drink more when times are tough. We haven't been affected as much as others by the slowdown.