Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin View Post
Actually there is a class A noncommercial license . Check with your DMV. As long as its for personal use and not for hire the requirements are different and there are no endorsements.
Leave it to our long lost friend and fellow trucker, RebelDarlin', to come up with (almost) the right answer... or so I think. I read her link and it seems to say so, but also mentions a "non-commercial" class B license... which Geeshock could be referring to. Mostly... since it is a PennDot site, it underscores her advice to check with YOUR local DMV (instead of being confused by all of US) as to what would be required.

I see lots of class 8 trucks on the road (usually pulling a trailer) with "not for hire" posted on the door. I'm not sure what their licensing requirements are, but I don't think they all have a Class A CDL... or at least not a COMMERCIAL license. I do believe their are NONCommercial DL's. According to the PennDot site she linked us to... it appears that there are class A and B of NON Commercial DL's available. If you are NOT going to be pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs., it seems you can get by with just a class B form of "regular" license. My DL used to say Class C (before I went trucking.) Apparently.... I could have had a class B or class A with more testing, even without it being a "commercial" license.

Now, that I've added to the confusion... I'm going to go back and address your original post... to the extent that I can.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Senior Board Member

hey hobo few years ago you nice to the authorities they gave it to you ,bet it was the same in your land
Old 08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Board Icon

Tim Burr asked:

Quote:
Can I buy a big truck and drive it around without a class A license?
Such a simple question... with such convoluted answers. I think YES basically, but there is more to it. With only limited (but lengthy) research, I think you can drive one with a class B NONcommercial license (at least in some states) or a class A if you intend to EVER pull a trailer/RV rated over 10,000 pounds. It is the COMBINATION of two vehicles, and the rated weight of the TOWED vehicle that determines class A or class B requirement. Class B also seems to cover JUST a Bobtail tractor (and you could still pull a car or something behind it.) Also... the class of your license only comes into play if you are caught pulling a "combination" that exceeds the weight restrictions for that class. I think it's all about the MONEY you pay the DMV.

Quote:
CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.
Class 8 tractors are ALSO rated at 26,000 lbs. ... even without a trailor. It seems you don't need a COMMERCIAL DL to drive one, but... don't get caught in any kind of "commerce." ALL of the fmcsa regs pertain to "operating such a vehicle in Interstate or Intrastate COMMERCE." If the vehicle is for NON Commercial use... the "not for hire" sticker may help (or be necessary,) but the licensing falls under the standard DMV for your state. This should lower the cost... but, WHAT do you (seem) to care about the cost?

Quote:
I’m thinking a 13 speed with sleeper.
I totally agree! I've been driving a 13spd the last year, and there is NO comparison with a 10 spd. My "fill in" co-driver this week, must THINK she is a whiz with a 10spd... but, was totally LOST when confronted with the power options, gear pattern, and basic manipulation of a 13spd. As for the sleeper... get one! Get a BIG one! With a wife on board... get a CONDO sleeper, as big as you can afford. Heck, with a good size sleeper, you can use this "truck" as a motorhome (of sorts,) getting out and seeing the country with the amenities needed to "defer" the cost of motels. Buy 50 gals of gas at most Truckstops and you get free showers. And, it's the ONLY way to find out if the two of you could "team drive."

Quote:
I wouldn’t have trailer, but the truck would have air brakes.
Never say never. With a Class 8 truck, you could always pull a "fifth wheel" type camper and really have a great time on a "road trip." As long as that "trailor" weighs less than 10,000 (or is it 15,00) pounds... you seem to qualify as a Class B driver. But... WHY would you limit yourself? SAME truck, just a few more questions and a few more dollars.

Quote:
I went to the DMV web site and it says “3 axles less than 6000lbs gross” what does a tractor weight?
I read that, too. I don't think it applies to you. For ONE thing... you could buy a "single screw" tractor! That's only 2 axles! But... I wouldn't if I were you. For the smoothest ride... I would buy a "tandem drive" tractor with a medium wheelbase.

Quote:
I got rid of most of my toys a few years back, so spending $50k on a new rig is doable, I’ve spent that on a RV, and close to that building buggy’s and 4Xs, and all my cars have cost close to that the last ten years.
I "get" your fiscal situation, and your "need" for a new toy! I think your reasoning is sound. You won't get a "NEW rig" for 50k... but, you can get a good used one for that. I wouldn't spend that much though.

Quote:
I’m thinking heck if I go to CDL school someday I would be able to do home work. I could hone some of my skills and get the comfort level up.
You buy such a truck and get used to driving it, and you won't NEED "CDL" school. You can rent (or borrow) a trailor, and after LOTS of practice, you could take the test without going to school. The "homework" idea is not bad. You won't NEED to do that. You'll be so far ahead of the other students, you'll be tutoring them instead! The only "comfort level" I see you would have to work on is you and your wife living in such cramped quarters.

Quote:
I see 2007’s as low as $30K, and I think that’s as old as I should go.
I might disagree. I was issued a 2006 brand new in 2007. It had 50 miles on it. My company went bankrupt (and sold off those "assets") when it had probably less than 200k on it. That's a YOUNG truck! That truck (or one like it) might still be out there! [LOTS of companies folded that year!] I've seen 2004 or 5 Columbia's (with condo sleeper) for about 18k or less. XL Classics were going for at least 35k, and the sleeper is no bigger!

I really don't know all the particulars... but, some crazy (Bush administration) EPA regs took place in 2007 and it affected performance of some trucks. The others here can fill you in on the specifics of that... but, I'd seriously consider buying the LAST truck made before those changes.

Quote:
Feel free to point out what a dumb idea this is, I’d rather know now.
I personally feel it is a brilliant idea! You already mentioned on another thread that you and the wife were considering team driving for a few years before retirement. If you change your minds, as you say.... you could sell the truck (probably for what you paid for it if you buy cheap like I suggested.)

If you decide to pursue a short career, you would already HAVE a "power unit" that you could lease on for good pay and minimum effort (after you convert to a COMMERCIAL license.)

I will tell you THIS: Driving around in a bobtail truck is NOT going to be as comfortable of a "ride" as if you were pulling some kind of trailor... and a heavy load.

I realize what you are suggesting is a radical idea. But... I happen to see the method in your madness!

I'll let that sink in a bit... then, I have more comments on your next post.

Quote:
Thanks

PS I put this here since it’s not really ‘trucking’ question, just a Q with a truck in it.
That's so funny! But, also true. That's what this subforum is for!

BTW.... welcome to CAD! I hope WE can be of help to you and your wife as you consider this possible future.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchno1 View Post
hey hobo few years ago you nice to the authorities they gave it to you ,bet it was the same in your land
I think I understand what you're saying, but... I don't recall the instance. Of COURSE it was "in my land." Can you give me a clue to what you are referring to? I get screwed by the authorities ALL the time! But... I'm a FREE man. BTW... how's your QUEEN treating YOU lately?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Rookie

Wow THANKS for all the replys, I’m going to get writers cramp putting together a reply worthy of the great info everyone posted. :-)

I’ll try and do this in order of posting.

Thanks RD I didn’t know about that, I’ve been to the Cal DMV site many times, but I never specifically searched for Noncommercial info.

Here is a few things I found on the Cal DMV site:
Noncommercial Class A License Requirements

DMV: “Pass the Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A Trailers law test.”

Noncommercial Class A Trailer? I like the sound of that.

DMV: “Pass a driving test while towing the type of vehicle you wish to be licensed for.”

That mean I need to tow a tractor? I guess I need a DMV ‘Speak’ translation book first?

Anyway THANKS for the noncommercial search idea.

Thanks for the reply repete, and I tend to agree with what you said, and I’m trying learn as much as I can about the stuff not taught in CDL school. I know the life of a truck had limits, but the 5 year is a good thing to know. My research showed 2021 was the smog limit for 2007 trucks, so I was using that as a ’peg point’ for values, of course if 5 years is a value drop point I can use that knowledge to my advantage, thanks.

That turn over rate is a real kicker and not something the general population knows about (I was general public and I didn’t know it), and I’m thinking most people don’t research enough.

Gman; Insurance is a big unknown. My insurance guy is going to get a chuckle out me asking for a rate.

Thanks for the info that my parking space may be big enough but you mention 250 inches, that around 21 feet, that only leaves 7 feet of overhang. I go to a mall about once every 5 years, but I know what your trying to say.

WW; thanks for the height tip, I had not thought of that, sure don’t want to hit stuff. That makes me wonder, if this idea worked and I did bump something with my personal semi would I have a DAC from a report to go on? I guess I would have the same DMV responsibility but a DAC just CDL drivers? Not that it matters, my goal is to practice NOT HITTING stuff.

Fredog, I had the vette, but turns out I like Porches better. I like the vette power, but I now lean more to German handling. I’ve had Harley’s over my 40 plus years of MC ownership, but I just don’t enjoy long rides anymore, and I have the credentials to prove I’ve been on some long rides. Thanks for the post anyway, and I agree they would be more fun.

Gofhobo; your reply was just to good for me to not work on a fitting reply (not that my reply will be fitting, I just can’t throw something together). Heck I like your reply so much I’m glad I asked the question just to have your reply to read. Give me a few days, as computer/internet time has been harder to come by lately.

THANKS again for the replys
Old 08-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

If you and the Mrs. ride "around" bobtail to see if you like going out together in a semi you are going to bouncing around so much that she most likely will hate it. You really need a trailer, even a pup (28 footer) behind you to get a better idea of handling/ride quality.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Bobtailing is dangerous on winter roads, even wet roads they get squirrelly.
You don't bob tail up north very far.

Even on dry roads, you better give yourself more time to stop.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Bobtailing is dangerous on winter roads, even wet roads they get squirrelly.
You don't bob tail up north very far.

Even on dry roads, you better give yourself more time to stop.
Even with an empty trailer behind you, you still need more time/distance to stop.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Rookie

I know this is months behind for a reply, computer time is tight for me and I have lots to research. I also tried to do a ‘multi-quote’ reply for this, but not sure how that works, maybe I need more posts?? I did do a search and got the Sham-wow-guy. Guess I’m not to good with search either? Anyway I invented my own way, I hope it’s easy to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Tim Burr asked:

Tim Burr wrote:>Can I buy a big truck and drive it around without a class A license?

GolfHobo wrote:>>Such a simple question... with such convoluted answers. I think YES basically, but there is more to it.

Yes I agree. I think I’ll need to work on a better plan. For one thing I’ll need be able to test drive, plus I need a little time learning what ‘normal is’ during the road test. Possibility I may need to be able to drive any truck to a shop for a check-out. So a class A may be in order

I think I may check with some schools about a class to get a non-commercial Class-A.

>>This should lower the cost... but, WHAT do you (seem) to care about the cost?

I knew I would give that impression, but that is NOT the situation. Right now I have a job and can afford to consider doing this, mainly as a learning experience we can learn from if/when we need to. OTR is something we think we would like to do together, and we would like to be proficient as we can be.

>I’m thinking a 13 speed with sleeper.
>>I totally agree! I've been driving a 13spd the last year, and there is NO comparison with a 10 spd.

>>As for the sleeper... get one! Get a BIG one! With a wife on board... get a CONDO sleeper,

Oh-boy the fun stuff.

It seems the 10 speed is adequate, but the people who run the 13 speed like that better. I like options, and may as well try and learn what I can. Here is a question, is it easier to go from 13 to 10 speed, or visa-versa, or not really an issue?

I once had a 4x4 with 10 speeds, I could only use 5 at any time, but it did have the perfect gear at any speed for any need. I also like moving levers. Ha Ha

Sleeper stuff. The condo sounds neat, but not sure a newbie should do that as it sounds lie it limit’s the trucks loads. As for my idea of having a learning truck, I think I could look at a day cab, remove the 5th wheel and add a sleeper. I guess if I did have a Class A I could get a trailer and have myself a party platform. Ha Ha and who knows I could haul my stuff around. Would that be ’redneck rich’ if I got a flat bed trailer and put a travel trailer on it then parker my 4x on the remaining flatbed?

OK back to earth.

>>For the smoothest ride... I would buy a "tandem drive" tractor with a medium wheelbase.

That makes sense, besides if I did get a good truck I may need to be able to use it when I got my CDL.

>>I think your reasoning is sound. You won't get a "NEW rig" for 50k... but, you can get a good used one for that. I >>wouldn't spend that much though.

Yes less is better and I have not considered a ‘new‘ truck. There is a lot of talk about buying a truck “that fit’s the loads you handle” and I won’t know what that will be for a long time. I guess I should buy cheap with the plan to upgrade when I do this as a job.

>>. You buy such a truck and get used to driving it, and you won't NEED "CDL" school. >>You can rent (or borrow) a trailor, and after LOTS of practice, you could take the test without going to school.

I sure like hearing that. One thing my truck driving career research has taught me is ‘there is a lot more basic knowledge’. And the ‘detailed knowledge’ is almost limitless, you guys should be paid more.

>>The only "comfort level" I see you would have to work on is you and your wife living in such cramped quarters.

Yes we talk about that, especially when we look at trucks with sleeper on the hiway.

>I see 2007’s as low as $30K, and I think that’s as old as I should go.

>>I might disagree. I was issued a 2006 brand new in 2007. It had 50 miles on it. My >>company went bankrupt when it >>had probably less than 200k on it. That's a YOUNG truck! That truck (or one like it) might still be out there! [LOTS of >>companies folded that year!] I've seen 2004 or 5 Columbia's (with condo sleeper) for about 18k or less. XL Classics >>were going for at least 35k, and the sleeper is no bigger!

Thanks I will keep that in mind when looking. I would like to find something with 200-400K miles.

>>I really don't know all the particulars... but, some crazy EPA regs took place in 2007 and it affected performance of >>some trucks. The others here can fill you in on the specifics of that... but, I'd seriously consider buying the LAST truck >>made before those changes.

Yes, I heard that too. I have seen some stuff about hauling stuff on the west coast and there is some limits to what year trucks can haul where. Of course I see some old looking trucks running around So Cal every day.

>>I personally feel it is a brilliant idea! You already mentioned on another thread that you and the wife were considering >>team driving for a few years before retirement. If you change your minds, as you say.... you could sell the truck (probably for what you paid for it if you buy cheap like I suggested.)

That music to my ears, thanks for saying that. I’m 100% for going with your suggestion and buy a good truck at a Good Price. That’s a lot easier to type than do.

>>If you decide to pursue a short career, you would already HAVE a "power unit" that >>you could lease on for good pay and minimum effort (after you convert to a >>COMMERCIAL license.)

That’s kinda the plan I had in mind. Of course I see some issues with finding trucking companies that would hire a driver who never carried a load.

>>I will tell you THIS: Driving around in a bobtail truck is NOT going to be as comfortable of a "ride" as if you were pulling >>some kind of trailor... and a heavy load.

I didn’t know that until someone pointed out the safety issues (stopping) too. My wife been driving around in a K5 blazer the last 20 years and really likes the vehicle. I know that not a bobtail semi, but she could as easily be driving a 20 year old Lexus if we where old softies . Ha Ha

>>I'll let that sink in a bit... then, I have more comments on your next post.

It’s finally sank in some. I had to some research after reading your post, which lead to more research. Also I don’t spend a lot of time online, so sorry about the slow reply. We picked up a copy of Sailor on a Concrete Sea, and been reading that, kinda dry, boring, and real depressing about trucking careers.

Thanks GH for your detailed reply.